High Spend No Status

Old Dec 6, 17, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
This might not be "high spend" by Flyertalk chest-thumping standards, but remember that AA media day stat? 87% of their customers fly once a year, and the other 13% represent 50% of AA's revenues. Assuming there's even a modest ramp-up from once a year to $7K, that would could put OP in the top 10% of AA revenue generators, which I think makes their contribution more than inconsequential in objective terms.
That is a very interesting piece of information. Thanks for sharing. The 87% flying once a year is surprising.
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:40 am

Programs: AA CK
EQD 16684
EQM 32928
EQS 72

My brother-in-law is a happy (more or less) commuter.
Old Dec 6, 17, 8:39 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
This is kind of fun. All domestic F.
EQD 3501
EQM 11275
EQS 9 (mostly sub 500mi legs)

iíve flown AA less than ever before. God help me, Iíve even flown United more this year.
Old Dec 6, 17, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.6MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*
Isn't that what CK is for (high spend individuals that spend on themselves or for an organization)?
Old Dec 6, 17, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I have no idea why airlines even bother with the mileage component. Cash is king and all that matters.
Like the WN model..... no miles there
Old Dec 6, 17, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but $7,000 in 12 months is not 'high spend'. If you bought a dozen or so $7,000 business class fares in the year, that might be different. AA is not making any real money from your business.
Is not high spend, but Gold require $3,000 and PLT $6,000 (plus EQMs of course).
Old Dec 6, 17, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
The 87% flying once a year is surprising.
Why? Most people cannot afford to fly even once a year. Then there are others who do fly, but use whichever airline is cheapest. In other words, regular people.

One must not think the FT user base, with its incessant discussion of PDBs and such, is normal.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 17, 10:24 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jay_dubya View Post
Intercontinental F and only 3k in spend?
Yep.

International F (BA) connecting to domestic F (AA), and return. The return international sector was in J (BA). All for GBP2600. The other sectors were unrelated, but all in domestic F. That makes up the other spend/miles/sectors.

I can't help but feel that the recent changes in the AAdvantage programme have a subtle earnings bias against flying with partner airlines. Fair enough: it is a loyalty programme after all.
Old Dec 6, 17, 10:40 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by RupertC View Post
Yep.

International F (BA) connecting to domestic F (AA), and return. The return international sector was in J (BA). All for GBP2600. The other sectors were unrelated, but all in domestic F. That makes up the other spend/miles/sectors.

I can't help but feel that the recent changes in the AAdvantage programme have a subtle earnings bias against flying with partner airlines. Fair enough: it is a loyalty programme after all.
Isn't 2600 GBP 3500 USD? Were the rest of your flights free?
Old Dec 6, 17, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
One must not think the FT user base, with its incessant discussion of PDBs and such, is normal.
Indeed, I would like you all to meet my good friend: his name is Selection Bias and he hangs out here on Flyertalk a lot.
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Indeed, I would like you all to meet my good friend: his name is Selection Bias and he hangs out here on Flyertalk a lot.
With his good friends DYKWIA Man and Drama Queen.
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA GLD, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kb9522 View Post
I'm not sure any of the numbers posted really qualify as "high spend".

I actually think the requirements are very reasonable, maybe even generous. They have kept spend requirements relatively low so that corporate flyers who have to travel on discounted rates can still qualify.
Last year when I re-qualified for EXP my EQD was approximately $5k. So OP's spending almost $7k without getting ANY status is very much "high spend" relative to the obtained status.
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Well true not 'high spend' in absolute terms, but as global services on United I am familiar with what is absolute high spend on an airline. In any case 7-8k with zero status is pretty high spend for zero return!

Last edited by ExtonUS; Dec 6, 17 at 12:46 pm
Old Dec 6, 17, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just shy of $12k spend with CC bonus, 38k EDQ. EXP last year, gold this year. Doh!
Old Dec 6, 17, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by grrizzli View Post
Last year when I re-qualified for EXP my EQD was approximately $5k. So OP's spending almost $7k without getting ANY status is very much "high spend" relative to the obtained status.
No. It just means you re-qualified last year with very low spend.

It makes little sense to them to provide so many expensive incentives for your business when your business is worth so little.

This is probably what they were trying to fix by instituting an EQD requirement.

Search this Thread