Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Downgraded Myself To Coach Due First Cabin Issue

Downgraded Myself To Coach Due First Cabin Issue

Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rossmacd
OP - was this the 117 JFK-LAX on Saturday? If so, I was on the flight as well. What seat were you?

The smell was revolting, but I did not know what had happened. I thought it was a passenger.
No. Sorry to hear.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Certain components of perfumes etc. can cause allergic and respiratory reactions among some passengers. On the other hand, some people have very low olfactory sense, or may even be anosmic, and have poor sense of these things. This is also relevant to the airline as allergies etc. fall within the Purdue of the Air Carrier Access Act.

Id report it to AA. Like low level behaviors that may cause offense or characteristics that might affect work performance, resulting reports are usually documented and may be brought forward if they reach a certain volume or are frequent. In this instance its unlikely to result in any discipline (nor would I want any disciplinary action), but the employee may be advised or counseled so less scent is used during work hours. (This would be typical in most large companies with professional HR offices, in my experience.)
JDiver.... You are always so professional and informative. Thank you
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by chix
i did just that to the other FA in first. She was so nice and helpful. But it was an awkward situation dealing with someone elses hygiene, let alone a colleague on a long flight in a tight space that she did not seem to have met before.

That is when she kindly found me a seat in economy. She knew it was a problem for others too. Her strategy for dealing with it was to open up several bags of fresh coffee and place them in discreet places to try and mask the scent.
I can't say i blame the other FA - I wouldn't want to be the one to tell a colleague they stink. I think mentioning it to AA was the best approach.
chix likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by chix
I have the name of the toxic FA, and I really feel as though she needs to be told to tone it down.

Do you think it would be wasted breath to contact customer relations so that her supervisor can address it?
I would. If the perfume was as overpowering and offensive as you describe, then you should absolutely report her and hope that she will receive coaching from management.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JDiver
Certain components of perfumes etc. can cause allergic and respiratory reactions among some passengers. On the other hand, some people have very low olfactory sense, or may even be anosmic, and have poor sense of these things. This is also relevant to the airline as allergies etc. fall within the Purdue of the Air Carrier Access Act.

Id report it to AA. Like low level behaviors that may cause offense or characteristics that might affect work performance, resulting reports are usually documented and may be brought forward if they reach a certain volume or are frequent. In this instance its unlikely to result in any discipline (nor would I want any disciplinary action), but the employee may be advised or counseled so less scent is used during work hours. (This would be typical in most large companies with professional HR offices, in my experience.)
There are two sides to every story and this was delicately and well said!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:38 am

Same same

I had the exact same experience (didnt downgrade myself thouh as I was in coach) a few years ago.

Super nice, much older, female flight attendant that literally woke me up when she walked by my seat from the smell. I have moderate allergies and usually its not a problem.. this was on another level. I wrote to AA while on the flight. This was their response:

April 2, 2014

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX
Thank you for contacting Customer Relations.

We understand your inquiry about the issue of exposure to perfume/cologne or any chemical odors contained in other grooming/hygiene products. We do allow our flight crew to wear perfume/cologne. However, during flight attendant training, we further define this particular grooming item with the indication that the fragrance should not be overpowering. Of course, there is some subjectivity related to the "strength" of such odors.

In view of your comments, we've shared the details of your experience with the appropriate management personnel.

Mr. XXXXXXX, sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to welcome you aboard soon.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx xxxxxx
Customer Relations
American Airlines

AA Ref#1-1355043364
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
I had a similar experience in the main cabin a month or so back and debated whether so send a note to AA. I did and got a response similar to the above, citing grooming/professional appearance standards. I’m neither allergic nor particularly sensitive but it was really overpowering in such a confined space. I appreciated the prompt and what appeared to be customized reply.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:25 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm not sure it's a good idea for an airline (or any company) to start monitoring how an employee smells based on individual customer preferences.

Its part of the personal appearance policy.

If you smell strong enough to make people sick, then yes you need to be told to tone it down.

What if a male just stopped using deodorant and showers. Wouldnt they tell him to take care of that???
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Its part of the personal appearance policy.

If you smell strong enough to make people sick, then yes you need to be told to tone it down.

What if a male just stopped using deodorant and showers. Wouldnt they tell him to take care of that???
Why do you say just “if” a male, lol!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.