Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA734/735, MAN-PHL, 9th Dec / 13th Dec with TA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi
wonder if anyone can help. I booked the above MANCHESTER - SDF via PHL, business class.
outbound 9th dec, ret 13th dec via a TA. I’m looking at moving the return to 15th dec.

speakng to the TA they say the ticket is non changeable, speaking to AA the ticket can be changed only once I completed the 1st leg to SDF.

AA do not know the fare class / fare paid so cannot give an change fee, it’s not disclosed from the TA to AA.

is there anything I can do or is it a case of wait till I’ve flown the outbound leg and check the $.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It sounds to be as though you did not book through a TA, but through a consolidator (or perhaps a TA acting as a consolidator) and that you have purchased a consolidator ticket. If that is the case, AA sold a bulk group of seats to the consolidator for a given price and those seats are then the consolidator's to sell. Thus, AA has no idea what you paid for the ticket and AA will not change the ticket under any voluntary circumstances. This means that if there is an involuntary change such as a cancellation, AA will, of course, rebook you.

Your sole approach is through the consolidator. If it happens to have seats which it purchased for travel on the new date, then perhaps it will change your ticket to that date, but it sounds as if it does not.

You will need to check your contract carefully. Calling is not the way to accomplish this. Sit down and read the terms carefully. If you chose to purchase an inflexible ticket, it may have been cheaper, but pehaps can't be changed.

If all of this is the case, then the answer is grim. You will not be able to change your ticket and if you wish to change your travel, will need to purchase a new ticket.

After you check the terms to which you agreed and can provide the name of what you refer to as a TA, please come back here and perhaps there will be better information to be had.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks @Often1, that’s a very informative answer. I suspect the TA maybe a consolidator as you say.

for now the flight change is optional, I may well call AA again just up double check the ticket can be changed with AA vs a new runner. AA said once they see the booking class / cost they can make a change, at my expense of course.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I tend to agree it must be a consolidator ticket. It also explains why they can’t change it until after the first segment is flown....once it’s flown AA truly owns the ticket and the consolidator is released from the process at that point.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
It is worth noting that the change is likely to be cheaper after the first segment has been flown if it is a regular ticket.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks @MADPhil, that is one of my worries. A new ticket in J is roughly $9k return 15th Dec. Ok that’s return and would be cheaper with Y cabin return. The ticket cost was just under $2k, J all segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.