Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive Platinum Average EQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by metallo
Huh? EQDs are earned differently on flights marketed by other partners (based on flight distance/fare class, rather than ticket price), but those EQDs still count toward AA upgrade priority. They certainly aren't "largely irrelevant."

Some have suggested that non-AA spend may provide less priority for CK consideration (I'm not sure I've seen that confirmed anywhere, but it's been mentioned in the CK thread).

However, EQDs are EQDs, regardless of whether they come from AA flights, partner flights, or credit card spend -- all methods contribute to elite upgrade priority.
Originally Posted by 355F1
Over $10,000 of my $13,000 EQDs were earned flying BA metal in PE.

That doesn't affect anything in regards to my domestic upgrades when I do fly AA.
Yes, all methods of earning EQD contribute to upgrade priority, and doesn't affect your domestic upgrades when you do fly AA. Your earning pattern does though impact my upgrade odds since you are less likely to be on my flight. 😁 I'm not competing against all EXP for that upgrade, just the ones on my flight.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It&#8 217;s human nature to compare stuff, and I&#8 217;d bet that somebody at AA is having a good chuckle that we&#8 217;re all trying to figure out what our &#8 220;real&#8 221; minimum spend needs to be to secure upgrades. I&#8 217;ll never be a CK, but I did a mileage run this year to get EXPfor the first time. As a PP, I got upgrades maybe 40% of the time. More often on shorter flight, rarely on larger flight, and almost never on hub to hub flights. There are ALWAYS a ton of EXPs on those flight, and I would routinely by #7 , #8 , etc. I guess we will see if this changes now that I am EXP. I have four flights remaining for the year, three of which are ORD-DFW-ORD. And then there&#8 217;s next year. We&#8 217;ll see.

Hey, a question, those remaining flights were made when I was a PP - do I need to call AA and have them remove my FF# from the record and then reattach so my new status is applied to those records?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by danbrew
It&#8 217;s human nature to compare stuff, and I&#8 217;d bet that somebody at AA is having a good chuckle that we&#8 217;re all trying to figure out what our &#8 220;real&#8 221; minimum spend needs to be to secure upgrades. I&#8 217;ll never be a CK, but I did a mileage run this year to get EXPfor the first time. As a PP, I got upgrades maybe 40% of the time. More often on shorter flight, rarely on larger flight, and almost never on hub to hub flights. There are ALWAYS a ton of EXPs on those flight, and I would routinely by #7 , #8 , etc. I guess we will see if this changes now that I am EXP. I have four flights remaining for the year, three of which are ORD-DFW-ORD. And then there&#8 217;s next year. We&#8 217;ll see.

Hey, a question, those remaining flights were made when I was a PP - do I need to call AA and have them remove my FF# from the record and then reattach so my new status is applied to those records?
I can't be the only one that is struggling to read this! Right?
zip10001 and apeortdz like this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:28 pm

Wow!
I made EXP the last two years but this thread has helped me determine that for me a mileage run to requalify for EXP 2018 would be foolish since as compared to most I am a lightweight. Now I understand why the 4 SWUs I had saved all year for travel to Sidney with my wife failed last month. The thread also helps me understand why less than half of my flights out of DFW do not get upgrades.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I am not there yet, but will be by EOY.

My travel plans currently have put my year end totals at:
~23K EQD
100,020 EQM
55 EQS
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:37 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by danbrew
It self-updates in about 48 hours. So, if you are flying within 2 days after reaching EXP, call and get them to update your record. If more than 2 days, it updates itself.
danbrew likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
(and if those folks with the higher EQD totals are primarily buying first and/or business class tickets or are earning a large chunk of their EQDs by flying partner carriers – then they are largely irrelevant as far as upgrade priority competition is concerned)
Originally Posted by metallo
Huh? EQDs are earned differently on flights marketed by other partners (based on flight distance/fare class, rather than ticket price), but those EQDs still count toward AA upgrade priority. They certainly aren't "largely irrelevant."

Some have suggested that non-AA spend may provide less priority for CK consideration (I'm not sure I've seen that confirmed anywhere, but it's been mentioned in the CK thread).

However, EQDs are EQDs, regardless of whether they come from AA flights, partner flights, or credit card spend -- all methods contribute to elite upgrade priority.
But if people are primarily flying other oneWorld carriers...they aren't competing for upgrades on AA flights (when they are flying on partner metal_. EQD totals only matter for upgrades if you are on AA metal. If most of my travel is on partner metal - then the number of AA upgrades I am in the running for is less. In other words - someone who runs up a bunch of EQD on cheap QR J fares (for example) and only flies a few AA coach fares may have a large EQD total ... but isn't in the upgrade pool much.

That's what I meant. Clearly wasn't talking about the EQDs being different. Of course EQDs are EQDs.
danbrew likes this.

Last edited by bse118; Dec 3, 2017 at 7:07 pm Reason: clarity
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bse118
That's what I meant. Clearly wasn't talking about the EQDs being different. Of course EQDs are EQDs.
This is the problem with pronouns. In your earlier post, when you said "they are largely irrelevant," I interpreted "they" as meaning EQDs, rather than the people earning them. I see now that what you meant was that the people flying mostly non-AA OW carriers are potentially irrelevant with regard to AA upgrade lists, not that their non-AA EQDs are irrelevant to them earning AA elite status. My apologies.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just finished my last paid flight (one remaining award ticket around Christmas) with the following stats:

EQD - $13,864 ($6,000 from Aviator)
EQM - 101,401
EQS - 32

95% of my flying is personal, so I try to fly at times that give me the best chance at an upgrade. Despite my relatively low EQD compared to most others on this thread, here are my upgrade stats for the year:

Complimentary - 11/13 (only ones I missed were LAX-STL on the A319 and one LAX-ORD where I was the first loser)
SWU - 4/4 (LAX-LHR-LAX, LAX-AKL-LAX)
Miles + Copay - 2/2 (LAX-JFK-LAX from J to F)

Remaining segments were a few trips to SEA on AS and two cheap J MRs through AA Vacations.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I'm currently around $17.2K EQDs and 139K EQMs on the year. Just flew LAX-PHL-BOS-PHL-LAX and got upgraded on all 4 segments.

My remaining trips this year are LAX-DFW-AUS-DFW-LAX-DFW-AUS but those are all in Paid F, so upgrades are not relevant.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Currently at $13,725 EQD and 103k EQM, but with a last-minute TATL next week, I should finish around $22k on EQD. I actually wanted to do the TATL on DL, but the dates and routings I wanted would have been a fare of $15k vs $9k on AA.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Here is mine. All on AA, some business flights to Shanghai and Sao Paulo

Here is mine
smitty06 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador
So far $19k EQDs and 130k EQMs. I’ve only got two short domestic trips left this year so I should land around $20k or so.

LAX was home until recently and upgrades were hit and miss. Now that MKE is home, as long as there’s a first class cabin, I’ve gotten upgraded (almost 100 percent).

Now if AA will do something about all the stupid 50 seaters here. They are always full and could easily have bigger aircraft. Even UA flies a 737 from ORD every once and a while...
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Captive DFW-based flyer here

EQD: $17.4k
EQM: $102k
EQS: 42
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
EQD (YTD): 51k

I get upgrades for my domestic flights 95+% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.