Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is a no-show better than changing return leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Does American charge a fee if I don't show up to the return leg of my flight? I have a round trip ticket that I want to change the return leg (same day just a later time). I understand a change fee is a hefty $200. On the website it's showing I can buy a one-way for $50 which obviously is better than paying $200. What happens if I purchase the one way and just don't show up to my original return leg? Pretty sure they will charge me the difference, or some sort of fee, right?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Beysus
Does American charge a fee if I don't show up to the return leg of my flight? I have a round trip ticket that I want to change the return leg (same day just a later time). I understand a change fee is a hefty $200. On the website it's showing I can buy a one-way for $50 which obviously is better than paying $200. What happens if I purchase the one way and just don't show up to my original return leg? Pretty sure they will charge me the difference, or some sort of fee, right?
Nothing at all will happen, AA will not charge you a fee or anything for skipping your return leg. You will just lose the value of the return portion.

As long as the flight times don't overlap you'll have no issues booking the brand new return segment. Once you fly the outbound portion, go online and cancel the return part of your original itinerary.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
You may be able to standby or even do a same day confirmed change for free depending on your status with AA. Or just follow Jeffrey's advice and you are all set!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the flight were subject to SDC now, I would say that you should do SDC. That will cost you no more than $75 and you will then save $15. If it is tomorrow or beyond, I would not risk SDC because you might not get it and a new ticket might cost a whole lot more than $90 by the time you fly.

Simply abandon the return segment. Presuming that it is a typical discounted ticket, you will simply lose the value of the ticket when you no show. There is no penalty beyond the value of the ticket. Importantly, if the flight is significantly delayed or cancelled, you will be entitled to a refund of the ticket, so watch what that flight really does.

AA does have aggressive software to sniff out "impossible" bookings, so book your other flight on a carrier other than AA or at a time when it is "possible" to perform both tickets.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I ended up speaking to an AA rep, who confirmed what you all mentioned here. I then asked what would happen if I abandoned the return leg and purchased the one way separately and she went silent, then said she couldn't really comment on doing that.

Since the RT was in my name, I had my travel companion book us the one ways in her name, just to be sure. Hopefully all will go smooth!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beysus
Thanks everyone. I ended up speaking to an AA rep, who confirmed what you all mentioned here. I then asked what would happen if I abandoned the return leg and purchased the one way separately and she went silent, then said she couldn't really comment on doing that.
Ugh, that wasn't such a great idea.*

Since the RT was in my name, I had my travel companion book us the one ways in her name, just to be sure. Hopefully all will go smooth!
I doubt it will go smooth if your name isn't on your ticket.

* ETA: That said, if your original fare did not have a round-trip requirement, which is uncommon on domestic flights these days, then even if they wanted to throw the book at you I don't think they could do much, as I don't think that's actually violating any policies. What they frown on is manipulating your tickets to get around things like round-trip requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.