Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Not sure if we will ever know, but I would like to believe that the APA could have resolved their concerns more discretely, without airing dirty laundry in the media, further undermining THEIR airline, some loss in business.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:36 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
The union contract directs how the airline and union work together. It may define how the airline is permitted to formally make an offer, but it likely also defines how the union can formally respond (doubt it's via the NYT). We could argue that both sides are "wrong" in this trivial administrative matter (how they communicate).

Most citizens don't work for AA and those that are party to this negotiation wouldn't be permitted to discuss it here. Therefore, this is entirely an issue of public relations and reputation (for AA and the APA). The public saw AA make an offer. The public saw the union reject the offer for reasons other than the offer's merit. The public did not see the union respond in a way that shows they desired to resolve an issue in the interest of their customers. The following press release from AA management thanks everyone - including the union.

Regardless of what the contract says and what the parties say now: AA management, from the public vantage point, took the high road while the APA did not.

PS: Look back at the Toyota unintended acceleration problems around 2004. Toyota was technically correct in their responses to the public, but still lost their reputation and many many $millions because they failed to properly manage the story. Being contractually correct didn't help.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by TBD
Are you APA President Captain Dan Carey?
I have no connection to AA or APA other than having worked for one of AA's regional airlines over two decades ago.

I'll assume you're not and so weren't in these negotiations with AA yourself.
Neither was anyone else in this thread including those who seem to know what APA was thinking "behind closed doors".

The NY Times published a statement from the union that AA had offered 1.5x for pilots to come back. That same person said that the airline wasn't permitted to make such an offer. Seems pretty clear to me - as an impartial person in this matter with no AA bookings nor airline employment - that AA mgt had made an attempt to rectify the situation and that the union was the blocker
See my post #147 earlier in this thread.

When you have a contractual relationship with another party you can not unilaterally decide to go outside that contract to address a problem. You either work within the contract or you negotiate an exception. If AA management had first gone to the APA, when the problem was discovered, this issue could have been resolved quickly and without anyone outside of AA being aware of it. Once AA management decided to work with APA a resolution was reached very quickly. If the APA wanted to block a resolution, there would be no agreement in principle.

APA was working within the constraints of the Railway Labor Act by filing a presidential grievance over the company's contract violation. That is the only option that they have under the RLA.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Not sure whether what I'm experiencing is a result from AA's snafu, but I just booked my holiday with the mrs and was trying to select seats.

Lo and behold, the only seat that I was unable to select is the only segment that is operated by AA (everything else is either partner code share or Eagle operated by regional guys). Reso shows a 330-200 for PHL-MAD, system says seat map unavailable, EXP desk says there may be an equipment change. Asked if it's because of the holiday snafu she discredited the news story. After I hung up the phone I saw another story about APA discrediting AA saying everything is still messed up.

Should I play it safe and fly with another airline. I'm still within my 24hr for free cancellation
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by pineapplejet
Not sure whether what I'm experiencing is a result from AA's snafu, but I just booked my holiday with the mrs and was trying to select seats.

Lo and behold, the only seat that I was unable to select is the only segment that is operated by AA (everything else is either partner code share or Eagle operated by regional guys). Reso shows a 330-200 for PHL-MAD, system says seat map unavailable, EXP desk says there may be an equipment change. Asked if it's because of the holiday snafu she discredited the news story. After I hung up the phone I saw another story about APA discrediting AA saying everything is still messed up.

Should I play it safe and fly with another airline. I'm still within my 24hr for free cancellation
If you are indeed a top tier elite on AA and DL, are traveling up front, book the flight with a major credit card that offers good travel insurance (or pay for separate travel insurance), are not on a tight schedule, I would not be too concerned. Worst case: you will be experience a minor inconvenience, receive compensation. I am in a similar situation - flying SAN-MBJ over the holidays - plan to stay the course.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by pineapplejet

Just found out I'm flying on Christmas to make a meeting the next day. Booked on AA in F... am able to make seat selections with no issue.

And I didn't even try to extort my company over it. Imagine that.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by kb9522
Just found out I'm flying on Christmas to make a meeting the next day. Booked on AA in F... am able to make seat selections with no issue.

And I didn't even try to extort my company over it. Imagine that.
Would you like a sticker?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
From Forbes today: https://www.forbes.com/sites/christi...o#2fd34c074027
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Do you have any dinosaurs? I like the T-Rex ones the best.
cedric likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Anyone have any updated info on this? Are all flights actually covered?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:33 pm

"If Santa is flying, so is American.”

Well, Santa is a made up mythical legend who in fact won't be flying on Christmas. Maybe the airline is hinting at the fact they won't indeed be flying?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:37 pm

On Dec 19th I took YUL-MIA-CUR flights which were on time. Besides the increasing number of so-called support dogs everything went smooth.

Last edited by LearningToFly; Dec 20, 2017 at 8:40 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Don't take it... hold out for a participation trophy
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Anyone have any updated info on this? Are all flights actually covered?
My daughter was delayed nearly two hours last evening on an LAX-AUS flight due to missing pilots. The delay was not posted or announced until well after scheduled boarding time and the GAs could not get info on where the pilots were coming from for quite a while. Of course, that sort of thing can and does happen any time but it all smelled like a last minute scramble to cover a flight that may not have had a scheduled crew.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
A lot of crickets here. I'm taking that as evidence that this is officially a non-story at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.