Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Salt Lake?

And if you are a pilot commuting to LAX or ORD, how are you going to get there?

Mr. Parker's cadre of great thinkers/corporate strategists answer will be to blow some award Pax/Low revenue Pax out of their seats. Lobo411 feel free to chime in.Channel 7 in Keokuk will have a field day with this on Christmas EVE.
Plus it probably effects the whole transcon routes. Which is especially bad.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
Also encouraging is that LAX wasn't on the list of cities affected, according to Bloomberg:

"Flights that are scheduled without a captain, first officer or both originate from Dallas-Fort Worth International, American’s largest hub, and airports in Boston, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City and Charlotte, North Carolina, according to a company memo to the union, which was seen by Bloomberg News."
Wouldn't be that surprised if this list of cities affected was crafted by some rookie journalist who doesn't know their list of AA hubs. It probably affects EVERY hub, but not Delta hubs lol. What's missing, Chicago/Miami? I bet those have issues too.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EDDMflyer
It was all over the news, worldwide. Wonder how you could have missed that. Besides that, if it really comes to the worst case scenario you can still ask them to rebook you on BA SFO-LHR-DUS or SFO-DFW-LHR-DUS(or any other routing that BA offers).

Cheers
My main news sources are NPR, Reddit, and Yahoo (when on my way to Yahoo Finance). Didn't see anything about the AB bankruptcy in any of those "channels". Definitely would have appreciated if AA as my booking agent had alerted me, even if I had seen the story elsewhere. I just assumed they'd require me to pay YQ for BA metal, though yeah it's an emergency option. Won't be looking forward to the seats we'll have if rebooked last minute, as I'm 6'4" and paid for MCE on top of the award tickets.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
DL and UA have had their blunders, now it's AA's time. Unfortunately this one could be a major disaster for them.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Great, I have LAX-SJD on the 15th followed by SJD-DFW-LAX on the 25th. Perhaps AA would like to keep me in Cabo for a few days?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I have no flights for me as was informed a "family x-mas" this year. I did book 4 of them for rellies- can I ask those be canceled first?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by car_wash_guy
Fly to GJT
Why would that be a better option than just DEN?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
whoops.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:12 pm

The system that screwed up is a dinosaur of a program that APA has wanted scraped for years. AAL kept saying the same thing, that it is too expensive to replace. I wonder how much they are regretting that choice now.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

So, which flights / routes are considered “red”? I’m flying to Mexico from PHL on the 24th and returning Jan 1st. Or at least I hope I am.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SFO777
ROTFLMAO.
What a joke this "airline" has become. Parker & Co. never cease to amaze.
I’ve SMF-DFW-HKG starting 14 Dec and a Dec return. If they screw it up I’ll probably be requesting a trip in vain and Original Routing Credit, or something like that. I can stay at home to watch The Amateur Hour.

Thank goodness, Doug Parker and Robert Isom (Isom “oversees American's operations, planning, marketing, sales, alliances and pricing”) are “Going for great!”
sonofzeus and AANYC1981 like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 29, 2017 at 6:08 pm
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
This is a pretty amazing story. Will be watching. Flying ord-dfw-icn on Dec 24th on the way to down under for NYE..
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by QtownDave
So, which flights / routes are considered “red”? I’m flying to Mexico from PHL on the 24th and returning Jan 1st. Or at least I hope I am.
My best guess would be the high value and high booking routes like longhaul/transcon and to/from the hubs.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uscjeff
As I am going to Vail between xmas and New Years I will be livid if that happens. AA is the only airline who flies direct from LAX to EGE. Being an LA based flier who easily flies over 150k a year Delta becomes more and more attractive every day at this point
Originally Posted by car_wash_guy
Fly to GJT
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Why would that be a better option than just DEN?
Weather.

If driving from either GJT or DEN to EGE, in the winter, I'd take GJT every time. The route from Denver involves higher mountain passes and is more likely to be closed or disrupted due to snow. It's also just a longer drive even in good weather.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:09 pm

Seems the Pilot Union is being greedy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.