Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yea, cancel and book on DL.
and sell your AA stock today if you haven’t already. This will cost them dearly.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by uscjeff
As I am going to Vail between xmas and New Years I will be livid if that happens. AA is the only airline who flies direct from LAX to EGE. Being an LA based flier who easily flies over 150k a year Delta becomes more and more attractive every day at this point
Fly to GJT
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by car_wash_guy
Fly to GJT
Between that and ASE totally some options but I would think they would to an above point use yield as a decisioning factor. Id think sold out expensive flight plus on mainline would make it safe but I know to never assume with AA!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Between that and ASE totally some options but I would think they would to an above point use yield as a decisioning factor. Id think sold out expensive flight plus on mainline would make it safe but I know to never assume with AA!
Also encouraging is that LAX wasn't on the list of cities affected, according to Bloomberg:

"Flights that are scheduled without a captain, first officer or both originate from Dallas-Fort Worth International, American’s largest hub, and airports in Boston, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City and Charlotte, North Carolina, according to a company memo to the union, which was seen by Bloomberg News."
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Sykes
Also encouraging is that LAX wasn't on the list of cities affected, according to Bloomberg:

"Flights that are scheduled without a captain, first officer or both originate from Dallas-Fort Worth International, American’s largest hub, and airports in Boston, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City and Charlotte, North Carolina, according to a company memo to the union, which was seen by Bloomberg News."
Salt Lake?

And if you are a pilot commuting to LAX or ORD, how are you going to get there?

Mr. Parker's cadre of great thinkers/corporate strategists answer will be to blow some award Pax/Low revenue Pax out of their seats. Lobo411 feel free to chime in.Channel 7 in Keokuk will have a field day with this on Christmas EVE.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:30 pm

Makes me scared when thinking about my flight to SDQ from MIA end of December. Will reach a cruise ship from the DomRep...
Shall I better book an alternative?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Also ridiculous that AA would not have some kind of information prepared for customers before this went public.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Sykes

With so many other hubs impacted, I would still expect it to have knock-on effects if they can't get planes where they need to be.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
Also ridiculous that AA would not have some kind of information prepared for customers before this went public.
Nah. The pilots' union was going to take the scoop, best to make management look bad.
diver858 and LovePrunes like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
I hope they don´t screw up my plans on New Years Eve. Flying LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
9 months ago we booked SFO<>DUS AAward tickets on AirBerlin. In early November I was checking our flights and notice they hadn't updated their status in over a month. Upon trying to manually refresh them I found out the flights no longer existed, and a Google search revealed AB had basically declared bankruptcy and suspended all international flights after the end of October. Neither AB nor AA pro-actively informed us that AB was basically going out of business, or that our flights were canceled. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't pro-actively checked, we wouldn't have found out until we got to the airport.

By some amount of luck, I was able to get 2 award seats SFO<>DFW<>LHR<>DUS on the same dates on all AA metal (except the intra-EU leg, of course). The outbound flights are on Dec 17 (inbound luckily not until Jan 2), so now I get the feeling this is going to continue to be an interesting trip.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lomic
9 months ago we booked SFO<>DUS AAward tickets on AirBerlin. In early November I was checking our flights and notice they hadn't updated their status in over a month. Upon trying to manually refresh them I found out the flights no longer existed, and a Google search revealed AB had basically declared bankruptcy and suspended all international flights after the end of October. Neither AB nor AA pro-actively informed us that AB was basically going out of business, or that our flights were canceled. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't pro-actively checked, we wouldn't have found out until we got to the airport.

By some amount of luck, I was able to get 2 award seats SFO<>DFW<>LHR<>DUS on the same dates on all AA metal (except the intra-EU leg, of course). The outbound flights are on Dec 17 (inbound luckily not until Jan 2), so now I get the feeling this is going to continue to be an interesting trip.
It was all over the news, worldwide. Wonder how you could have missed that. Besides that, if it really comes to the worst case scenario you can still ask them to rebook you on BA SFO-LHR-DUS or SFO-DFW-LHR-DUS(or any other routing that BA offers).

Cheers
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by EDDMflyer
I hope they don´t screw up my plans on New Years Eve. Flying LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS. Keeping my fingers crossed.
youll be fine. If Doug can't find a pilot for your aircraft AA will be re-booking on Laker Airways
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
More background on this: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ameri...211413597.html
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
youll be fine. If Doug can't find a pilot for your aircraft AA will be re-booking on Laker Airways
I´d like to see him try that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.