Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by shimps1
So, effectively, you are saying they should take a pay CUT to fix the managements error? That's what that is. Man, send me your resume! I'm your boss, and I made a mistake and scheduled vacation for me for the rest of my life, just do all my work for me!
Yes. If you can't afford a cut of a few hundred dollars once on rare occasions, that's a decision you need to make. But in the context of pilots earning $120,000-$200,000 a year, I can't imagine how it could possibly be an issue.

You continue to imply that I would tolerate malicious intent even though I have repeatedly said I don't nor do I expect others to. There was no malicious intent in the case of AA. An unfortunate issue occurred, and rather than pilots (or more specifically the union) using that to extort money from the airline, I'm suggesting the pilots should show some semblance of work ethic and step up to help resolve the situation. Instead the optics of this makes it seem like the first thought was "how can I stick it to the people who put food on my table"...

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

Last edited by kb9522; Nov 30, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by iaflyer
Perhaps this has some bearing on the issue: American employees (not just pilots) doesn't trust management.

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...assengers.html

Some quotes from the article: "This, for example: a mere 32 percent of American employees believe that the management listens to them and wants to understand their feelings."

38.9 percent of American's employees believe that there's an atmosphere of trust and respect at the airline.

So really, if 61% of the employees don't believe there is trust at the airline, why would they want to help out the company, for a mess they created?
George Santayana is credited with the saying: Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.
AAL has struggled with labor issues going back to the Crandall days. He and his successors avoided confrontation, simply retired, kicking the can down the road rather than attempting to resolve them. Horton made a valiant effort, attempting to avoid Chapter 11, but labor sided with Parker, putting us all in the current dysfunctional mess.
Going back a bit further, it is the New Testament that provided the idiom you reap what you sow.
From this perspective, help me understand why we - loyal, long-term AA customers - should be sympathetic to pilots in this situation?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
How is it your place to even comment on someone else’s pay?
As long as free speech is a thing and I'm certainly allowed to voice this opinion. I'm sorry you don't like it or agree with it... The good thing is you don't have to.

That’s crazy. AA screws up and their employees are supposed to incur costs to bail them out? Ridiculous.
You make it sound like a change fee would incur some insurmountable debt. To me, this is an insignificant cost to pay. And one that should be paid to help your coworkers, and like it or not that's what these suits are to pilots, out of a tough spot.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
Suspended

The American Airlines management picked the questions to ask, not the employees surveyed.

Are you saying the company leaders are just picking random stuff to ask their employees about and don't care about the answers. Seems to be the exact problem that's going on.
I’m pretty sure that in order to have an answer a question is usually asked first.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
As long as free speech is a thing and I'm certainly allowed to voice this opinion. I'm sorry you don't like it or agree with it... The good thing is you don't have to.

You make it sound like a change fee would incur some insurmountable debt. To me, this is an insignificant cost to pay. And one that should be paid to help your coworkers, and like it or not that's what these suits are to pilots, out of a tough spot.
The executives are multi millionaires and are the ones who will be being helped out of a tough spot, why not have them personally pay for any fees?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Originally Posted by diver858
George Santayana is credited with the saying: Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.
AAL has struggled with labor issues going back to the Crandall days. He and his successors avoided confrontation, simply retired, kicking the can down the road rather than attempting to resolve them. Horton made a valiant effort, attempting to avoid Chapter 11, but labor sided with Parker, putting us all in the current dysfunctional mess.
Going back a bit further, it is the New Testament that provided the idiom you reap what you sow.

From this perspective, help me understand why we - loyal, long-term AA customers - should be sympathetic to pilots in this situation?
You reap what you sow is exactly correct. I didn't say the customers should be sympathetic to the pilots. What I was implying is that if the company took better care of the employees, this would of been a non-issue.

Do you think if this happened at Delta or Southwest this would be a problem? A lot less likely because the company tries to take care of the employees and in turn, the employees want to help the customers and in turn the company.

"You reap what you sow" - As you said, AA management has struggled with labor issue, has apparently sown distrust and it's coming back to haunt them.

Last edited by iaflyer; Nov 30, 2017 at 4:14 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
That wasn't questioning your ability to voice your opinion. That was more of a question of how you could possibly feel informed enough to do so rationally. Which clearly isn't the case so I suppose my question has been answered.

So what? Even if it was $1, it isn't the pilot's problem to pay it. It's the company which screwed up in a pretty unimaginable way.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
That wasn't questioning your ability to voice your opinion. That was more of a question of how you could possibly feel informed enough to do so rationally. Which clearly isn't the case so I suppose my question has been answered.
You think average and median salaries for various careers at various companies is not information readily available on the internet?

So what? Even if it was $1, it isn't the pilot's problem to pay it. It's the company which screwed up in a pretty unimaginable way.
Sure. But those are the sacrifices you make to support your coworkers.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by ROCAT
The executives are multi millionaires and are the ones who will be being helped out of a tough spot, why not have them personally pay for any fees?
I'm getting the sense that everyone wants to turn this into a contractual obligation... I don't understand this. Do people really hate their jobs (or their employer) so much that they're not willing to make sacrifices simply to ensure the success of their company? If so, why the heck wouldn't you find a different job?

I expect this me,me,me,me nonsense from millennials, sure... I never expected this mentality to be so widespread. It boggles my mind.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Do you think if this happened at Delta or Southwest this would be a problem?
Are you kidding? WN pilots were working almost 4 YEARS without a contract http://www.businessinsider.com/south...-boeing-2016-5, lots of hostility toward management. You neglected to mention United, which has THE worst labor relations in the industry.

You reap what you sow is exactly correct. I didn't say the customers should be sympathetic to the pilots. What I was implying is that if the company took better care of the employees, this would of been a non-issue.
Allow me to try another old saying - this one attributed to Benjamin Franklin: He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas. Pilots are responsible for Parker's seat in the executive suite; had they worked it out with Horton, things would be MUCH different - in a positive way - for both labor and customers.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 1, 2017 at 1:31 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Do people really hate their jobs (or their employer) so much that they're not willing to make sacrifices simply to ensure the success of their company?
Many pilots love their jobs, but despise their management (and for very good reason). Seniority rules make it tremendously impractical to move between airlines if they are not happy with their current management because they'd start again at the most junior position on the chart. While most of them are also much more sympathetic to impact on customers, I wouldn't blame them if they use this incident as leverage to get some concessions.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Are you kidding? WN pilots were working almost 4 YEARS without a contract http://www.businessinsider.com/south...-boeing-2016-5, lots of hostility toward management. You neglected to mention United, which has THE worst labor relations in the industry.
Did I read that right? The union made SWA enumerate every single variant of aircraft their pilots could fly in the contract and if some new acquisition years later was added to the fleet SWA wouldn't be allowed to tell pilots to fly it? Even if the new aircraft was better for customers and the company? This must be a new height in frivolousness... and people keep saying unions aren't the problem.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
Many pilots love their jobs, but despise their management (and for very good reason). Seniority rules make it tremendously impractical to move between airlines if they are not happy with their current management because they'd start again at the most junior position on the chart.
So then why choose this career path? If they truly love flying and aren't in it just for the money, they could become instructors or fly private/chartered aircraft (owner/operator type deal)... If it's just the money, there are other jobs. And eventually the labor shortage for commercial pilots would cause "management" to do some reevaluation.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
So then why choose this career path? If they truly love flying and aren't in it just for the money, they could become instructors or fly private/chartered aircraft (owner/operator type deal)... If it's just the money, there are other jobs. And eventually the labor shortage for commercial pilots would cause "management" to do some reevaluation.
It's one of the only career paths where you can fly for good money (enough to support a family), and at the very top of the seniority ladder it also provides a relatively predictable schedule with plenty of time off.

Flight instruction pays peanuts (mostly because it's full of airline-track CFIs teaching primarily to build their own flight time for very little pay), and iirc most Part 135 pilots make less than half of what a typical AA first officer makes.

I'm not an airline pilot, but generally what I've been told is that it's good work and really quite enjoyable once you make it to a major airline. Having said that, given the state of labor relations in the US airline industry, it wouldn't be surprising if they aren't willing to do the company any favors, especially when the flaw that created the problem is with a system that the pilots have apparently been actively trying to convince the company to replace for some time now.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
It's one of the only career paths where you can fly for good money (enough to support a family), and at the very top of the seniority ladder it also provides a relatively predictable schedule with plenty of time off.

Flight instruction pays peanuts (mostly because it's full of airline-track CFIs teaching primarily to build their own flight time for very little pay), and iirc most Part 135 pilots make less than half of what a typical AA first officer makes.
Doesn't sound like a very appealing career path to me, but to each their own.

Good insight though. Thanks for that.

From my perspective, these types of situations and the one with WN above certainly doesn't generate any good will with management when an opportunity presents itself to effect change. In fact, it probably does the opposite and creates a downward spiral. Why wouldn't AA remember the time the union tried to extort them over a technical issue and use it as an excuse to strike back later on when making a choice that could potentially improve pilot morale?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.