Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by swingaling
Unions protect the interests of workers who would otherwise get exploited, mistreated and underpaid by corporations.
Right. Those poor, poor pilots... making $120,000 to $200,000 a year. Definitely exploited and underpaid.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
This is downright offensive to every hard working American that has earned their vacation days (which is part of their compensation package for the work they do!). It's offensive to anyone who believes that their family, friends and personal lives are more important than a corporation's bottom line. I actually find your attitude to be the one destroying this country by making people's lives take a backseat to the profits of a corporate entity.
I don't think I would be able to call myself hardworking if I refused to come in on one particular day to solve a major, time critical issue because it happens to fall on the same day some guy was born 2000 years ago.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
It's a simple mistake, with huge long term repercussions.

Or, another view. I would hazard a guess that many of us here, with 1-40+ years of sales experience, sales management experience, corporate experience, and being commission based (meaning no fat salary plus bonus) might have an idea of how to fill seats AND make the customer happy. Present management's bean counter attitude of ask the customer for more and give them less, in the clear light of day is a non-starter in any business school, even in California. Current AA management is out of touch with the client.

It's not war. It's frustration (at least for me) of dealing with a management suite that never had to sell anything in their life, but stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Some of the fixes are easy (ie. PDB or lose your job), and some fixes are not so easy (an attitude of the client/customer/passenger is REVENUE, who can walk away, not self loading cargo). I suspect many here can see this accelerating train wreck coming, based on experience in their own field. No, it's not war, it's that it just doesn't have to be. It's a waste/it's a shame/ it's a ....

And that is my point. Where is the client/customer/passenger flying 12/17-12/31 in the equation? No where to be seen?

Perverse glee? Perhaps for others. As for me, it's with a profound sense of sadness.
And some of us are business owners with a completely different view on the world, customers, employees, profits, etc. And yes, we have plenty of experience with everyone including the sales department always yapping how they know better how to run the business. They never actually run one but they know (this is a general statement not directed at you personally)

Anyways, PHL is my home airport and as such was a long time US flyer. It seems to me that many long time AAers will never ever get over the...the...um....fine, we can call it a merger as to not upset the locals. And this I believe is behind so much of the rancor seen here daily.

I too had my issues with Mr. Parker and crew when they showed up here from AZ so many years ago. But at some point it’s time to dry one’s eyes and get over it.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QtownDave
But at some point it’s time to dry one’s eyes and get over it.
Agree. And many of us have gotten over it... by taking our business elsewhere.
enviroian and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
Agree. And many of us have gotten over it... by taking our business elsewhere.
As is your right to vote with your dollars. But I don’t see many empty seats so the many may not be as many as you may think. And to be fair, that is also due to the state of the industry these days. I personally don’t like the consolation where our options are greatly reduced but that is the nature of the beast all over.

My view is that the back back of the bus is well, bus like. But the front is much better than it has been for a very long time. And that’s true I think at the others as well.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by kb9522
I don't think I would be able to call myself hardworking if I refused to come in on one particular day to solve a major, time critical issue because it happens to fall on the same day some guy was born 2000 years ago.
You don't seem to get that this is not an all hands on deck situation. This is an airline screwup where they gave too many pilots off at once. What's your genius solution to determining which pilots should lose their earned time. Your disparaging tone about Christmas fits nicely with the rest of your comments.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Couple of the blogs posted the press release AA put out. If you take them at their word the situation is much less critical than some thought

[QUOTE]Out of the 200,000 flights American will operate in December, only a few hundred are currently unassigned to pilots. That number of open flights continues to decrease thanks to our pilots who are stepping up to the plate and picking up trips to ensure customers are taken care of. It’s another example of why we are thankful to have such an incredible team. In addition, we have more reserve pilots on hand in December than normal months and they provide us with the ability to fly many of the trips that are currently uncovered. We have not canceled any scheduled flights in December and will continue to work to ensure both our pilots and our customers are cared for.[/QUOTE]

A few hundred is better than the 15,000 number reported yesterday.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
You don't seem to get that this is not an all hands on deck situation. This is an airline screwup where they gave too many pilots off at once. What's your genius solution to determining which pilots should lose their earned time. Your disparaging tone about Christmas fits nicely with the rest of your comments.
Seniority. I'm assuming that's the factor that usually comes into play when choosing who to approve for vacation. But it should be whoever would not have normally been approved for vacation under the circumstances. That said, I would certainly expect any pilot with a work ethic to pick up as many flights as they're allowed to, regardless of seniority or whatever other factor comes into play.

And there was nothing disparaging about it, no need to create a reason to be upset where one does not exist.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QtownDave
But the front is much better than it has been for a very long time. And that’s true I think at the others as well.
Huh? Certainly not AA domestic which is now a garbage product since the Parker coup. And that's before the recent LAX debacle where they can't even cater real meals.
I only fly First and the only AA flight I will willingly fly is LAX-LHR. And I suspect that won't last long either as Parker will soon discover that AA is serving $175 Champagne and $100 Chassagne-Montrachets and Cabs, and kill that off.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 30, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kb9522
It doesn't matter if they made plans. When you have a job to do, you do it. Period. Everything else takes a back seat. If I have to work on Thanksgiving, Christmas or any other excuse people make for taking time off, I do it and I do it without complaint.

The only thing making this crap possible? Unions. Unions have destroyed any sense of work ethic in this country.
As another person that's very anti-union, and has flights scheduled out of the affected airports during the time frame, the only thing making this crap possible isn't unions. The thing that made this possible in the first place is American's usage of the Trip Trade system, which I've read from multiple sources the union has asked them to replace multiple times and AA hasn't because it'd cost too much. So no, 'the only thing making this crap possible' isn't the unions. Personally, if I were the pilots and/or their union, considering their labor relations, I'd make this as painful for AA as possible and then at the last minute make sure that every flight goes out (or almost every flight anyway) so no customers are actually harmed. At some point AA needs to understand that they need to fix some of their operational problems so they don't keep having these problems.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
AA's solution was to offer a VOLUNTARY, 50% premium incentive, to pilots who are accustomed to working through the holiday season, as compensation for the loss of their "earned time".
How about the FAs and gate agents who scheduled shifts during the same holiday period, expecting to work, now also in limbo. Difficult for most of the public to have sympathy for highly compensated professionals who appear willing to jeopardize the holiday travel plans of millions of people to prove a point. Is the APA really this arrogant?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
Huh? Certainly not AA domestic which is now a garbage product since the Parker coup. And that's before the recent LAX debacle where they can't even cater real meals.
I only fly First and the only AA flight I will willingly fly is LAX-LHR. And I suspect that won't last long either as Parker will soon discover that they are serving $175 Champagne and $100 Chassagne-Montrachets and Cabs, and kill that off.
Your use of the term ‘coup’ is telling enough and confirms my previous point. But I do wish you a merry Christmas and all the best with whoever you fly with.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by treznor
As another person that's very anti-union, and has flights scheduled out of the affected airports during the time frame, the only thing making this crap possible isn't unions. The thing that made this possible in the first place is American's usage of the Trip Trade system, which I've read from multiple sources the union has asked them to replace multiple times and AA hasn't because it'd cost too much. So no, 'the only thing making this crap possible' isn't the unions. Personally, if I were the pilots and/or their union, considering their labor relations, I'd make this as painful for AA as possible and then at the last minute make sure that every flight goes out (or almost every flight anyway) so no customers are actually harmed. At some point AA needs to understand that they need to fix some of their operational problems so they don't keep having these problems.
"This crap" was a reference to poor work ethic, not to the exact mechanism of this current situation. Obviously the union did not approve everyone's vacation request. But they're probably pretty interested in making sure few pilots step up to the plate to help clean this mess up without first extorting the airline for everything they can. And that is immensely sad.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chicago747
Couple of the blogs posted the press release AA put out. If you take them at their word the situation is much less critical than some thought

[QUOTE[i]]Out of the 200,000 flights American will operate in December, only a few hundred are currently unassigned to pilots. That number of open flights continues to decrease thanks to our pilots who are stepping up to the plate and picking up trips to ensure customers are taken care of. It’s another example of why we are thankful to have such an incredible team. In addition, we have more reserve pilots on hand in December than normal months and they provide us with the ability to fly many of the trips that are currently uncovered. We have not canceled any scheduled flights in December and will continue to work to ensure both our pilots and our customers are cared for.
A few hundred is better than the 15,000 number reported yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Great News! Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
150% may be plenty to encourage enough pilots to pick up the uncrewed trips. The problem is that since it is not provided for in the contract it is not enforceable. The company could pay some, but not others, and there would be no recourse. The union (APA) wants a letter of agreement to cover the remedy so that it will be enforceable if it isn't applied uniformly.

At my airline we have a provision for the company to designate premium pay for specific open trips. We can see in advance if the trip will pay 100%, 150%, or 200% of the normal rate and make our decisions accordingly. The contract defined the conditions and requirements on both sides so there are no surprises. The reports from our union's scheduling committee is that the company is quite happy with the results of this process when they decide to designate premium pay trips. AA and APA could sit down and come up with such an agreement in a few hours but, so far, the airline hasn't been willing to do so.
I would be very hesitant to do any work not guaranteed via the contract or an LOA and or MOR, just way too much of an ability to get burned. We have MORs between NATCA and the FAA over issues that popped up that have been sorted out and put into place in less than a day. If this can be done by two agencies who arguably had the worst relationship in aviation 8 years ago it can be done anywhere. If the APA is really just looking for a locked wage and process guide it would be an easy task and puzzling why management wouldn't do it that way as with the union blessing they will get more people to sign up.

Isn't that your system basically the system that the APA has been asking for at AAL for several years now.

Last edited by ROCAT; Nov 30, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.