Why can't all AA flights be like this?

Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Why can't all AA flights be like this?

Yesterday I had a great on time connection at JFK heading to BOS. I was in first on the A321T (pretty cool that they use this plane for this flight) but, anyway, it is something like a 40 minute flight. We got full PDB (The guy in front of my had two gin and tonics and I myself had a sparkling water), then they came around with a full snack basket - while we were still on the ground. Then we took off and there were more drinks and another snack basket. My point is, if a single FA can handle full PDB, 2x snack basket, and full beverage service on a flight where we are cruising for less than 20 mins, then I don't see why this can't become a trend. The FAs on this flight were fantastic.

My one complaint though. The damn credit card speeches! What pisses me off most is when they say stuff like "This offer is exclusively on this flight only!" and stuff like that. The FAs on my flight were hardos about it (it was like a 5 minute in depth speech of the usual bs and no one filled out an application) 5 minutes=12.5% of the flight was spent on the credit card announcement while economy had a "limited beverage service" where pax could either have a small bottle of water or a small cup of orange juice. Makes you think.

Great flight though. A good chance to try out the A321T F considering that I don't fly between JFK and LAX/SFO
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by AAflyerORD
My one complaint though. The damn credit card speeches! What pisses me off most is when they say stuff like "This offer is exclusively on this flight only!" and stuff like that. The FAs on my flight were hardos about it (it was like a 5 minute in depth speech of the usual bs and no one filled out an application) 5 minutes=12.5% of the flight was spent on the credit card announcement while economy had a "limited beverage service" where pax could either have a small bottle of water or a small cup of orange juice. Makes you think.
Agreed about the credit card speeches. If FAs want us to take them seriously as being "cabin safety professionals", then they might want to act less like carnival barkers. Here's an idea: during the speech, everyone ring their call button. Multiple times. When a FA (eventually) responds, tell them that the solicitations are interfering with your ability to enjoy your flight.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EP
These credit card spiels are so damaging to their brand. Obviously the financial incentive must be too great for them to curtail this, or else we wouldn't still be writing threads on this occurring, but it blows my mind AA leadership thinks this is a worthwhile tradeoff and even remotely appropriate for any flight in any cabin. Holy moly.

I'd love to see the actual script they're reading from. I'm curious if the false advertising is written in, or if it's passed down between cabin crews because somewhere at some point they've gotten a sign up from it and thus find it effective to lie. And don't forget that the IFE suspends operation to pipe these pitche through to everyone's headphones that are using them at the time.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by samm
These credit card spiels are so damaging to their brand...
...and management DGAF.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
These credit card spiels are so damaging to their brand.
Guess they figure their competitors are similarly damaging their brands so *shrug*
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
may I suggest using noise cancelling headphones during that "card speech"
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Noise canceling headphones only eliminate the constant ambient noise. They won't eliminate the blaring overhead announcement.
But any headphones will work as long as they are plugged into your own device at a comfortable listening volume of your favorite music or movie.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
These credit card spiels are so damaging to their brand. Obviously the financial incentive must be too great for them to curtail this, or else we wouldn't still be writing threads on this occurring, but it blows my mind AA leadership thinks this is a worthwhile tradeoff and even remotely appropriate for any flight in any cabin. Holy moly.

I'd love to see the actual script they're reading from. I'm curious if the false advertising is written in, or if it's passed down between cabin crews because somewhere at some point they've gotten a sign up from it and thus find it effective to lie. And don't forget that the IFE suspends operation to pipe these pitche through to everyone's headphones that are using them at the time.
LAA management never allowed this. I think Citi had asked a couple of times but LAA management refused because it's so tacky and damages the brand.
enpremiere likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.