American (PHL-CLT-MCO) or (PHL-MCO)

Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage (Gold), DL SM, UA MP (Silver)
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
There are a few situations where a .30 MCT applies. I bet this is the one that applies to OP:
Code:
AA-AA DD .30 FLT 1 - 2814 - FLT 1 - 2814
I have no idea what any of those numbers and letters mean. Sorry, I am not that fluent in flight language. Can someone explain that?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by elipisk123
I have no idea what any of those numbers and letters mean. Sorry, I am not that fluent in flight language. Can someone explain that?
It means that the minimum connecting time for a mainline to mainline connection at CLT is 30 mins. So you're above the MCT.

While it's certainly tight, I see sub 40 min connections offered at CLT all the time, so it's nothing unusual.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by whimsey21
You’ve gotten good advice. Given that you have purchased the ticket already, your best bet is to hope for a schedule change (and then ask move to flights that have more buffer) or keep an eye out for weather waivers.
This. Whenever you "have to be" at a gate at xx:00 PM, you should never schedule an arrival for less than an hour buffer, because airlines.

Luckily the nonstop CLT-MCO has a significantly later departure than your current one-stop booking, so you'll have to monitor day before and day of conditions and flight status, and if your one-stop begins to suffer from CDS (creeping delay syndrome), then call (or, if you can, chat with an agent at an Admirals Club) and ask if you can simply be placed on the nonstop to ensure you won't blow your connection.

If your first leg delays by more than 15 minutes, I would think they would grant this automatically, assuming they have a seat to put you in for the non-stop.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I'm going to guess this was a passion purchase. Picking a flight without thinking about connection times, mentioning Valentine's Day, being at a gate by 3 but no mention of a 3 pm flight...all sounds like an airport marriage proposal.

If there's yet another flight where the gate closes at 3 pm (not mentioned by OP) then this is the least likely to succeed itinerary I've ever seen w/r/t connection times (33 min and 19 min, respectively).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

This is one connecting flight. I am a volunteer for a Jewish youth group, BBYO, and they have specifically ordered me that I have to be in the airport by 3 PM.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 1, 2017 at 4:57 pm Reason: To add info. //Mod: substitute image without PNR for privacy and security
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
If your flight is somewhat late, I doubt they will leave you stranded. I'm not sure what kind of meeting/conference you're attending, but surely the events don't start at 3pm sharp. If you're late, you won't be the only one.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
This is one connecting flight. I am a volunteer for a Jewish youth group, BBYO, and they have specifically ordered me that I have to be in the airport by 3 PM.
<Image redacted>
They want you in by 3 pm, but in all honesty if you get delayed and show up at 4 pm, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 1, 2017 at 4:59 pm Reason: Redacted image with PNR for privacy
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

So, overall, what you are telling me is that I am out of luck and that I should just keep my connecting flight. Correct?
Do you guys think that a seat will be open on the direct, nonstop flight on the day before (February 13)?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
@elipisk123 I'd remove your record locator from a public website

Record locators can be used to make changes to reservations

Done! Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 1, 2017 at 4:59 pm Reason: Add mod notation
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This connection is just inside the MCT for CLT, but it is well outside the SCT (Sensible Connection Time) for anybody who has a tight schedule. Having nothing to do with the schedule, this is a poor choice. Not much OP can do, but this is important for others. If OP misconnects, he has at least a 2-hour wait and a 4-hour wait if the 2-hour wait flight is sold out.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
First, relax. Your posted instructions says you should plan to arrive at the airport by 3 PM. You have done exactly that-- you have planned to arrive by 3 PM, and there is a reasonably good chance you will arrive by 3 PM. Second, start watching for schedule changes. Any schedule change that gives you a < 30 minute connection would be grounds for a change with no fee. This can and does happen. Third, watch the weather. If there's bad weather, there will be a waiver, which will allow you to change to an earlier flight at no charge (assuming space is available). Finally, if the day of travel arrives and if your flight is delayed, even a few minutes, it puts you under the MCT and you would have every right to ask to move to a different flight. If none of these things happens (no schedule change, good weather, no flight delay) you have little to worry about. 30 minutes mainline to mainline in CLT is enough if everything goes as planned (walk quickly just to be sure...).

Last but not least, know your options. Have a list of (multiple) alternate flights, so that at the first sign something is going wrong, you will be able to give the agent the exact flight numbers, etc., that you want. This dramatically increases your chance of getting a desirable rebooking.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Would it be possible for American to hold the flight, or is that unreasonable?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I would definitely not count on it, especially on the CLT-MCO route. AA will rarely hold flights, especially on routes where there are multiple flights per day. They *might* hold a flight if it's the last flight of the night into an outstation, but it's highly unlikely on this route in the middle of the day.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:32 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Another thing to keep in mind is that the schedules are heavily padded. PHL-CLT is blocked (gate to gate time) at almost 2 hours, but in reality the time in the air is about 1:20. So if everything is operating normally that day, there's a good chance you arrive in CLT early and have more time to make it to your connection.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is unreasonable.

The decision to hold a flight is made by Operations and it involves a lot of factors. One of them is how many passengers AA is stuck with. There are multiple later MCO services so it's a good bet that misconnects will be acommodated over the next 2, 4 or 6 hours.

One thing never to do is to count on a connection being held. Even if the staff at your original airport tell you that it will be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.