Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Onboard treatment better on partner airlines

Old Nov 27, 17, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK, EK Platinum

I know most of the FA could not care less about their elite customers onboard an aircraft, as they are "primarily here for your safety", but with another year of spending way to many hours in the air is coming to an end, I simply ask myself the same question: How come I feel more "welcomed" on partner airlines than on American?

On Cathay Pacific - irregardless of which cabin I am seated - there's a personal greeting. While the first one is the usual "Thank you for choosing CX" gesture, the second one usually involves the head of the cabin crew with a nice little small talk and offerings for convenience. And they really make it sound sincere - during the course of the flight, I do get checked on regularly. Especially when flying non-premium cabins. Replenishment of water bottles (Evian, handed out in PEY and above), first to be asked about food choice, being served wine and champagne from J, you name it. Even on British Airways (I couldn't believe it) and Qatar Airways, OWE treatment was good to very good. Small little touches to make the journey more pleasant.

Don't get me wrong. Flying more than twelve hours across the pacific in coach is still not becoming a once in a lifetime experience, but it makes traveling a bit easier. It just feels more human.

However there is nothing on AA. There simply isn't. Unless my hidden score rating is so bad that every cabin crew member is trying to avoid me like plague. Why is it so difficult to make a little effort?
Old Nov 27, 17, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Delta has an initiative going on right now that does exactly this. Makes a nice touch that goes a long way. I got treatment like this on an Air Berlin (RIP!) flight from DUS-JFK in regular Y.....very nice. Purser came back to personally offer me a drink from Business in glassware before YC service started. Made for some interesting stares from those around me, lol!
Old Nov 27, 17, 2:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Flew BA PE last month on a MR to JNB and I was taken care of very well and thanked for my OW Emerald Status (AA EXP).

On one flight they even came around mid flight asking me if I needed anymore food. LoL.
Old Nov 27, 17, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
This is my experience on CX. I'm blown away that the lead FA and the FA working my side of the cabin learn my name and manage to remember it the entire flight. I've yet to be turned down when asking for the delicious Betsy Beer, which is apparently only available in F and J.

If prices are comparable, booking CX/JL/et al is a no-brainer.
nutwpinut, AANYC1981 and schertz like this.
Old Nov 27, 17, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
This is my experience on CX. I'm blown away that the lead FA and the FA working my side of the cabin learn my name and manage to remember it the entire flight. I've yet to be turned down when asking for the delicious Betsy Beer, which is apparently only available in F and J.

If prices are comparable, booking CX/JL/et al is a no-brainer.
I'm still amazed that even on the way out they still remember my name and thank me by my name. I feel a little bit embarrassed with all the attention they give.

I believe they hope that the extra service will get people like us to buy CX/JL/etc.. if the price for their flight is just a little bit more expensive (10% or less).

Out of the 30+ times I have asked for something on an AA flight, I believe only 2-3 times have I not needed to let them know I am EXP and I get the drink or food free. Those 2-3 times, the FA checked with the tablet first before starting their service and greeted me with my name when asking for my drink.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 17, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by nutwpinut View Post
I believe they hope that the extra service will get people like us to buy CX/JL/etc.. if the price for their flight is just a little bit more expensive (10% or less).
It definitely works.

Their service is amazing. It's not a stretch to say that CX premium economy service is better than AA domestic F service.
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I totally agree with OP here - I'm treated better on CX than AA as an EXP. If I fly CX I'm usually in Y on an AA codeshare - and pretty much every time without fail; the cabin service director comes up to me, welcoming with a glass of J bubbly or a big water bottle or both, and profusely thanks me for flying CX. Usually they come back and check on me mid-flight. And then usually during meal service - the FA will stop the trolley at my seat (I usually pick an exit row about half the way back in the Y cabin), offering to serve me food first (which I admit is a little embarassing as the area around me goggles at me). It's a really nice touch, and I go out of my way to fly CX when I can.

JL routinely offers me business class breakfast in lieu of the small pastries on intra-asia overnight flights.

And on my BA flight from LHR to CPT on Wednesday in W the cabin service director was just as attentive - multiple rounds of champagne from business were offered and offering more food similar to previous poster. No additional recognition on other flights though.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I'm definitely in the minority. I greatly dislike the personal touches. They seem incredibly faux to me... I know the FA doesn't give two s**ts who I am - in any cabin - and I certainly don't care who they are. I'm usually working or sleeping on the plane. I'd rather just get the next 6-10+ hours over with so I can get on the ground and go do my job.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On the average, I get better personal service on Qatar and Cathay than on AA. BA has been a crapshoot, even in First. AA has varied a lot, but I’ve had some top notch, even memorable, service on AA over the six decades I’ve been flying them. Most recently, a truly stellar service performed by LUS FA Nancy H. Really stellar.
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 27, 17, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA
Flew first time on CX last week the FAs were polite. BA is basically a non existent introduction or a hello or nod of head when I board, whist AA is hit and miss. I had the misfortune of one of the rudest FAs on AA Ord to Lhr last year who in no terms told me off for entering the galley in the front of J. The young guy must have been in his twenties definitely needed to go back to school and learn some manners. I find QR to be the most attentive though but mostly I try and relax/ sleep on medium to long haul so if I need anything I will get up and ask in the galley rather than expecting a FA to come and serve.
Old Nov 27, 17, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by steviewire View Post
I had the misfortune of one of the rudest FAs on AA Ord to Lhr last year who in no terms told me off for entering the galley in the front of J.
I encountered the same thing a couple months ago on AA flying NRT-ORD. And I was seated in row 2 going to use the front lav (because the other two J lavs were occupied). I was not amused.
Old Nov 28, 17, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Well, let me chime in, ORD to LHR on AA, the service was so bad, AA refunded my 2 SWU for the entire flight, For the past 18 months all my international trips (13) have been on Qatar, most times the business fare is only about $700 more than AA/BA coach to BOM
The service was been stella, amost too much service, as I usually just sleep.
Now dont get me wrong, I have had great service on AA, but its always hit or miss, especially on the long hauls, Have a long haul next feb on AA to HKG, lets see how it goes
Old Nov 28, 17, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
I believe last year I was flying on CX as EXP. I believe I was HKG - SIN segment and flying in J maybe in 6th row or so. FA comes up to me and says we want to move you upfront to a better seat where you would be more comfortable. She moved me to first row of J which had slightly more room. On recent QR flight I was seating in row 6 of J (last seat in first J section) and noticed that FA would come up to serve me before serving people in rows ahead of me. I only flew on QR for 4 segments and for some reason I like CX service more, I think maybe I'm just used to CX more.
Old Nov 28, 17, 7:19 am

In other news, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
brewdog11 and jay_dubya like this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 8:07 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, AAdmirals Club, Hilton Diamond
This does NOT happen on Japan Airlines. I have flowed JAL five or six round trips between Tokyo and Manila as ExPlat. I have never seen any extra service. JAL normally auto-assigns a aisle seat near front (but cannot see ahead of time on AA.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: