Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Onboard treatment better on partner airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard treatment better on partner airlines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
I can pretty much attest to the fact that AA at best is "decent" service wise and at worst is beyond abysmal. This past weekend on an international flight in Y went to the galley to get water. Five flight attendants standing there just ignored me. So I poured water (no big deal, would have been nice had they offered) and there wasn't enough in their bottle to fill the cup. So I asked for more. They gave me a rude look and one actually said "what, do you want us to fluff your pillow too."

I realize I'm just Gold and wife's just Plat Pro and we were in Y, but this is beyond the pale. Spoke to the burser and she apologized and offered to get us water when we needed it, but NO offer of points or anything to compensate. I haven't contacted corporate, but I sure would expect them to contact ME about this.

I can say my eyes are WIDE open and I have exactly ZERO loyalty to AA going forward, though!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I was reading the through the thread before noting that I've received great service as an AA Ex Plt specifically on JL. Maybe you just had a bad flight but my time in JL Y and PE has been wonderful. Even better --- the operational upgrades. From Y to PE and from PE to C. Not every flight is upgraded but it has been frequent enough to look to fly JL a bit more.

As for AA, it really is hit or miss, even on the same flight. Yesterday was a transpac in C and one FA was wonderful whereas a second FA was... let's just call him not nearly good enough.

Cheers

Originally Posted by MCOSWAFlyer
This does NOT happen on Japan Airlines. I have flowed JAL five or six round trips between Tokyo and Manila as ExPlat. I have never seen any extra service. JAL normally auto-assigns a aisle seat near front (but cannot see ahead of time on AA.)
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Not on IB (shocker to no one I’m sure)! What a lousy excuse for a European airline. Their lounge in Madrid is nice...but no recognition and no service really at all in PE or Y beyond the first meal service.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Almost without exception I will choose CX or BA or QF if headed to Oz (haven't had the chance to fly JL yet) over AA, and stick with AA for North America... the quality of service over AA is consistently so much better than on AA. Although I certainly have had many good FA's over the past few years on LAA and LUS.

Side note: I've had numerous op-ups on CX and BA now just due to OWE status, as recently as last week on DXB-LHR. And with the bs EQD now, I'm sorry AA, but I will choose your partners over you if flying over the water just to fly PE and get the EQD multiplier. Sadly, I'm sure they'll devalue that earning percentage soon enough. Once that happens, well, I figure I'll fly DL a couple of years.
schertz likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by schertz
Not on IB (shocker to no one I’m sure)! What a lousy excuse for a European airline. Their lounge in Madrid is nice...but no recognition and no service really at all in PE or Y beyond the first meal service.
Agree - IB is just terrible. Made the mistake of ordering a veg meal in J a few years ago... My wife would've rather starved herself, it was that bad.

Originally Posted by fotographer
Well, let me chime in, ORD to LHR on AA, the service was so bad, AA refunded my 2 SWU for the entire flight,
Just curious if you'll share details? The service must have been truly horrific for AA to do that. And sounds like other passengers complained too. Refunding SWUs sounds like quite a drastic step!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Well, let me chime in, ORD to LHR on AA, the service was so bad, AA refunded my 2 SWU for the entire flight...
I'm very curious as to the circumstances that caused them to refund your SWUs. This is incredibly rare, even when service is atrocious. Glad AA actually did something to atone for pitiful customer service in your case.

Originally Posted by David Ocamb
I can pretty much attest to the fact that AA at best is "decent" service wise and at worst is beyond abysmal. This past weekend on an international flight in Y went to the galley to get water. Five flight attendants standing there just ignored me. So I poured water (no big deal, would have been nice had they offered) and there wasn't enough in their bottle to fill the cup. So I asked for more. They gave me a rude look and one actually said "what, do you want us to fluff your pillow too."
Because staying hydrated on long international flights is for demanding, DYKWIA prima donnas only. If that statement wasn't meant to be humorous, I hope you wrote in. Providing adequate water on long flights is a "safety" duty, and they're always quick to let you know that they're there primarily for your safety. If they're complaining about replenishing water, who knows how much they'd complain when faced with a dehydration-induced medical emergency over the ocean.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:33 pm

I'm not sure I would say AA's categorically worse in this regard--I've certainly had several FA's come and greet me by name, etc--but I would say it's pretty inconsistent. Sometimes you have a grumpy FA, and other times you have post-takeoff upgrades to business.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Wrote in and got an email thanking me for writing in, saying this behavior is not their brand standard, and asking me to give them another try. No points. No compensation of any sort. Which, sadly, is exactly what I expect out of American. "We might actually make your flight adequate. Because merely adequate is what we're going for!"

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I'm very curious as to the circumstances that caused them to refund your SWUs. This is incredibly rare, even when service is atrocious. Glad AA actually did something to atone for pitiful customer service in your case.

Because staying hydrated on long international flights is for demanding, DYKWIA prima donnas only. If that statement wasn't meant to be humorous, I hope you wrote in. Providing adequate water on long flights is a "safety" duty, and they're always quick to let you know that they're there primarily for your safety. If they're complaining about replenishing water, who knows how much they'd complain when faced with a dehydration-induced medical emergency over the ocean.
DMPHL, brewdog11 and jay_dubya like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by David Ocamb
Wrote in and got an email thanking me for writing in, saying this behavior is not their brand standard, and asking me to give them another try. No points. No compensation of any sort. Which, sadly, is exactly what I expect out of American. "We might actually make your flight adequate. Because merely adequate is what we're going for!"
How disappointing. The easiest solution may be to not give them another try.

I've been flying TPACs on Cathay, and I'm not looking back. I'm not an AA hater by any stretch, but their new management has sent a clear message that a consistent customer experience does not matter. Also, their worst crews seem to be on the TPAC flights that I frequent. I've had a few excellent crews, but I've also had some downright hateful ones.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I was unlucky to be the older 777, 2 -3-2 seating, got a middle row al to myself, nice, the FA on that flight, well let me put it this way, it seemed I was not even on the plane, there were two ladies in the row ahead of me, having a great time, jprobably too much of a great time,
I usually fall asleep anyway after the nuts and drinks, avoiding any meatsl, about 3 hours in the flight, I started to smell something not nice (vomit), wake up and see one the ladies who was sitting in the row now sitting next to me , in a state of , lets just say that she had vomit all over her, and some on my blanket, and the seat she was originally in, not knowing how she ended up next to me, I trying to be nice, went to the "FA" and told her about this, her response, well yes I put her there, as her seat was messed up, told her that she had or must have tlhrown up again, the FA could not be bothered, I looked around for another seat that I could move to, FA blocked me from moving, quoting some FAA rule, I know it makes no sense... there was more, but I hope you get the picture,
On the way back from LHR, had the same flight crew, and of course the same FA, again the same wonderful attitude towards me, (I always buy my food at the airport for the way back) so getting no service from her, including not even coming around with drinks and nuts
I wrote to AA, they called me a few days later, they asked me what I would like them to do, I told them, just refund my SWU and they did
(sorry if this a long story)

[/QUOTE]Just curious if you'll share details? The service must have been truly horrific for AA to do that. And sounds like other passengers complained too. Refunding SWUs sounds like quite a drastic step![/QUOTE]

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 22, 2018 at 7:42 am Reason: Close quote
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
How disappointing. The easiest solution may be to not give them another try.

I've been flying TPACs on Cathay, and I'm not looking back. I'm not an AA hater by any stretch, but their new management has sent a clear message that a consistent customer experience does not matter. Also, their worst crews seem to be on the TPAC flights that I frequent. I've had a few excellent crews, but I've also had some downright hateful ones.
Yup!!! The consistently good service provided by other airlines such as CX is really the kicker. Just flew CX J yesterday with my mom (treated her to her first int'l J flight) and the service was phenomenal on both legs. The FAs caught on somehow that my mom was new to intl J so they treated her especially well, brought her tea multiple times, extra snacks, etc. The thing is it's not like AA isn't capable of great service - indeed multiple times I've had absolutely incredible service from AA (including on DFW-HKG), but it's just not something you can rely on the way you can with CX. They actually kept the cabins cool too which was an unexpected surprise! And as much as CX J catering is unimpressive, I didn't think the food was bad at all, certainly up to par with anything LCC would serve.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:10 am

I was unlucky to be the older 777, 2 -3-2 seating, got a middle row al to myself, nice, the FA on that flight, well let me put it this way, it seemed I was not even on the plane, there were two ladies in the row ahead of me, having a great time, jprobably too much of a great time,
I usually fall asleep anyway after the nuts and drinks, avoiding any meatsl, about 3 hours in the flight, I started to smell something not nice (vomit), wake up and see one the ladies who was sitting in the row now sitting next to me , in a state of , lets just say that she had vomit all over her, and some on my blanket, and the seat she was originally in, not knowing how she ended up next to me, I trying to be nice, went to the "FA" and told her about this, her response, well yes I put her there, as her seat was messed up, told her that she had or must have tlhrown up again, the FA could not be bothered, I looked around for another seat that I could move to, FA blocked me from moving, quoting some FAA rule, I know it makes no sense... there was more, but I hope you get the picture,
On the way back from LHR, had the same flight crew, and of course the same FA, again the same wonderful attitude towards me, (I always buy my food at the airport for the way back) so getting no service from her, including not even coming around with drinks and nuts
I wrote to AA, they called me a few days later, they asked me what I would like them to do, I told them, just refund my SWU and they did
(sorry if this a long story)

Just curious if you'll share details? The service must have been truly horrific for AA to do that. And sounds like other passengers complained too. Refunding SWUs sounds like quite a drastic step!
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - just curious how long ago this was. AFAIK there are no more 77Es operating with the old NGBC J seats. And asking you what you'd like - hahahah wow that is not something I imagine Dougie would approve of, hopefully someone didn't get canned over that!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I don't get why people like to beat up on IB crews. Maybe I've been lucky, but every time I've flown them TATL J, the ladies were always very warm and professional. The food and wine is tasty and the J suites are comfortable, decent IFE, WiFi. It's not the most luxurious / amazing experience, but it's pretty good an an incredible value when redeeming IB Avios.
WanderingGent likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17

Hmmm - just curious how long ago this was. AFAIK there are no more 77Es operating with the old NGBC J seats. And asking you what you'd like - hahahah wow that is not something I imagine Dougie would approve of, hopefully someone didn't get canned over that!
i think, and getting older does not help my memory, probably around 6 or 7 years ago, and remember back then I think AA was alot more responsive in terms of making things right,

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 22, 2018 at 7:44 am Reason: Reestablish quote
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, I believe I might have had the best customer service experience on a flight ever. It is renewing my hope for AA. I was on a FC flight YVR - PHX on AA. This is all in First Class:
* Full PDB
* FA interacted with everybody by name throughout the flight
* Came by often to top up our drinks
* Thanked everybody before landing and while deplaning
* Shook people's hands to thank them

We'll see if this continues with my other flights or I was lucky and had an awesome AA FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.