Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Based AAdvantage Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
​​​​​
Is that new (as of last summer) MBNA card still available? The link now takes me to an AA website where no UK cards are listed.
Not available to new applicants as of late last year.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Received a letter from MBNA stating that they are ending their partnership with AA as from 28 July. No sign of a replacement card from anyone yet, afaik.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: AA, BA, Virgin
MBNA AAdvantage ending July 18

An update - I just got a letter in the post saying MBNA American Airlines relationship is coming to an end on 28 July 2018. No more detail.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: AA
I've had the same letter today, found this post googling to see what is happening
I am hoping we will hear about a replacement soon.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Hope there will be a replacement!
Old May 16, 2018, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
yes same letter received today ... will be interesting to see if there will be a replacement at all - and hate to say it I will be surprised if there is in the UK.
robofski likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:45 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by NickB
Received a letter from MBNA stating that they are ending their partnership with AA as from 28 July. No sign of a replacement card from anyone yet, afaik.
Yes, like others, I also received the same letter. Further letter to be sent before 15 June to let us know how this affects our accounts. I think we know that!!
robofski likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
This is a real blow. Since the change to revenue based earning on AA, this is how I earn most of my AA miles. I would hope that there would be a new AA credit card in the UK, albeit that it will probably be a visa or mastercard at no more than 1 mile per £. Credit card miles seems to be a core part of the Aadvantage programme overall and the UK must surely be AA's second or third (Canada?) biggest market. Fingers crossed that there will be a new card with a nice sign up bonus!

If there is no new AA card, what will you switch to? BA Amex? Hilton Visa?
Old May 17, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Interestingly the AA International Credit cards page doesn't list a single card anywhere in Europe;

https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i...ebit-cards.jsp
Old May 17, 2018, 3:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlsw7
Hilton Visa?
No longer available since January 2018...
Old May 17, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Ugh. Do any of the US-based AA credit cards have favourable exhange rate policies, such that I could switch my spend to a US-based AA card?

Edit: Assuming you have a US address / meet whatever legal requirements.

Last edited by ExpatExp; May 17, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old May 17, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
I don't think they will give you the card without a US address.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:10 am

It is a real blow. I don't fly frequently anymore but thanks to a few flights and a lot of credit card spends, I've had two trips to Hawaii on these credit card miles and some upgrades.. AA changed the miles needed for Hawaii so we did use most of our miles a while back now, but have been building them up again quite quickly.

There is a post about it on Head for Points today. Does anyone know much about the Starwood card?
Old May 17, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
No longer available since January 2018...
You're kidding thats our other card of choice! Although haven't heard anything from them?
Old May 17, 2018, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fashionqueen
You're kidding thats our other card of choice! Although haven't heard anything from them?
It has been closed for new applications for three months now. It has disappeared from Barclaycards and Hilton page for at least the same period of time. Other than that I have no other information on when the partnership would end (I assume soon or already? A big question mark here).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.