Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA / Miami Flagship Lounge at D30 (new Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA / Miami Flagship Lounge at D30 (new Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
So I've got to give credit when it's due -- today's food spread is actually quite good. The higher quality charcuterie is out, they have some decent (cold) steak, spicy thai shrimp, excellent wings, a pretty good heirloom tomato gazpacho, and the "made to order" station is doing fish tacos, which are REALLY good. So it seems the experience varies quite a bit, at least as it regards food.
What you described sounds like a definite upgrade from my visit earlier this year. That's good news.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I am trying to discern the admit policy for the FL at D30 from the Admirals Club at D30, other than the dining room for actual F passengers.

It looks like admit requirements are the same (as to the AC), other than Admirals Club members cannot go in on their membership alone?

Everyone with AA status (EP,PP, P) has to be on an international or select transcon, CK or OW top two levels any flight, AC members not at all and J or F international regardless of elite status? So AA elites get lower treatment than say CX elites of the same rank, interesting.

It's not helpful they define the AC admit policy in MIA on one page and FL access on another. But it appears to be less likely to be crowded if members are denied which keeps out domestic travellers who I assume are a good number of people in the MIA ACs.

I'm flying in J to and from Central America so it looks like this is a better choice in both directions. I used to go to E with the self serve bar and actual food (which I think used to be more restrictive than the ACs were) , now this looks like a self serve bar and actual food.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I am trying to discern the admit policy for the FL at D30 from the Admirals Club at D30, other than the dining room for actual F passengers.
This is the link to the thread on FL access. The wiki explains all. Though, your interpretation of the rules is correct, so you might not learn anything new.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...+lounge+access

At MIA, the entrance and check-in are shared between the D30 AC and the FL. When you have FL access, they stamp that on your BP and you scan the BP at the FL door. So, if you have FL access you actually get into both clubs. I like that because there are often desserts and soups that I prefer on offer on the AC side.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:17 pm

I wonder how many people have the club membership still? I guess with a lot of domestic or caribbean travel it would be handy. But not for this lounge.

I have not transited MIA for over a year and found that the lounges were too crowded in D but by and large the Oneworld lounge in E was great, and had proper food.

Now I guess it's an AC as well and this new lounge may be better than any of the ACs. I have several hours in MIA both ways so I can sample the wares and service. For once I'd like a departure gate near D30 but no matter where it's always D5 or E something.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:33 pm

Well it is quite SwankyTown vs. the other side and vs. the old D30 AC with lots of food and booze and no bartender, mind you this is 9:45 a.m. and not much demand for a shot or a beer at least for me.

I was told by the admission desk that E5 is still sort of like it used to be with self serve booze but opens at 1 p.m. probably like before, for the flights to Europe but on the return I have a 3 hour connection so I might have a look.

Lots of people on the floor where both clubs are located (when the up elevator opens) looking despondent they are sent left to the AC and not right to the FL. Before it was downstairs when people were disappoint when they found out Caribbean and Mexico means no admission at all. Now people get the same look when they get the lesser admission when they arrive upstairs.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
A manager here just told me that the reason it is so crowded here tonight is because they’re welcoming guests from the regular ACs! She went on to mention that they’re “shuttling” (whatever that means) people from the D15 lounge to the FL to get a taste of the experience. She mentioned the transition between providers but it wasn’t clear to me how that tied in, and I didn’t pursue it.

ETA: I wonder if D15 is completely closed for an audit like was reported earlier for one of the CLT clubs, so they’re sending people here to make up for it
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Tuesday was the first day operated by HMS Host. I had been in the day prior, so was able to note some minor differences.

They have cut back on condiments. I asked for one of the little jars of mustard they usually have out, and was told they are no longer offered (and the person cited the transition). I was chatting with an actual FL employee and mentioned this and she got one from somewhere after a lengthy discussion with the service staff...but in the ensuing 2 hours they never brought out a general stock. Similar experience with most of the items usually stocked near the bar (simple syrup, butters, horseradish, etc.) — no more, and was told they’re gone under the new company. On a positive note, the beef, when it was actually available, was WAY better than the Sodexo stuff. Better cuts, cooked better, with a better sauce and excellent mushrooms. Curiously, each time a new batch came out, it was cut and presented a bit differently...I suspect they’re trying to figure out what will work best.

One big thing I noted is that they had a LOT of trouble keeping items stocked. This ranged from the beef to bottles of wine and many things in between (at least 20 minutes went by without beef, and I stopped trying to get Miner Cabernet after 30 mins, leaving the only red as Pinot Noir).

I’m curious to see what other changes people notice. But, based on the nice beef dish, I’m not expecting this to be a disaster, but time will tell.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Looking forward to checking out the MIA FL this evening as we are flying to GIG this evening through MIA.

Safe Travels
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Tuesday was the first day operated by HMS Host. I had been in the day prior, so was able to note some minor differences.

They have cut back on condiments. I asked for one of the little jars of mustard they usually have out, and was told they are no longer offered (and the person cited the transition). I was chatting with an actual FL employee and mentioned this and she got one from somewhere after a lengthy discussion with the service staff...but in the ensuing 2 hours they never brought out a general stock. Similar experience with most of the items usually stocked near the bar (simple syrup, butters, horseradish, etc.) — no more, and was told they’re gone under the new company. On a positive note, the beef, when it was actually available, was WAY better than the Sodexo stuff. Better cuts, cooked better, with a better sauce and excellent mushrooms. Curiously, each time a new batch came out, it was cut and presented a bit differently...I suspect they’re trying to figure out what will work best.

One big thing I noted is that they had a LOT of trouble keeping items stocked. This ranged from the beef to bottles of wine and many things in between (at least 20 minutes went by without beef, and I stopped trying to get Miner Cabernet after 30 mins, leaving the only red as Pinot Noir).

I’m curious to see what other changes people notice. But, based on the nice beef dish, I’m not expecting this to be a disaster, but time will tell.
I transited MIA on Wednesday and Saturday this past week. I had read this post, so I was looking for changes. Had I not read it, I don't think I would have noticed any significant difference. On Wednesday I was pleased to find beef with a good amount of red in the center. I enjoyed it. It seemed to me to be the same as pre-cooked prime rib in a vacuum bag that you can buy at a shopping club. It had the same brine taste and texture. Though it was fairly greasy, which is OK for me, but not for everybody, it was certainly an improvement over the previous shoe-leather tough offering. The swordfish was also not overcooked, which was a nice change. However, on Saturday the beef dish had nothing but 100% cooked-through meat and the fish was back to the same old dry texture.

On Wednesday there were a few mayonnaise and mustard jars available, but none on Saturday. One change that I did not like was the lack of paper to-go coffee cups, though I did not ask if that was a permanent change or if they were just out of them.

Everything else seemed the same to me.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:16 pm

This seems to be where we're discussing Flagship Dining for MIA, so:

I just asked for a second glass of Krug. I was told he didn't know if he could serve it because "you cant' just come in for alcohol". I was stunned. I came in stone cold sober, and enjoyed the first glass over at least 45 minutes, so he wasn't hedging because I was inebriated. He relented once I assured him I would order food. But is that really true, you couldn't use FFD to relax and work or socialize over a few drinks if you didn't want to eat?
Old May 29, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This seems to be where we're discussing Flagship Dining for MIA, so:

I just asked for a second glass of Krug. I was told he didn't know if he could serve it because "you cant' just come in for alcohol". I was stunned. I came in stone cold sober, and enjoyed the first glass over at least 45 minutes, so he wasn't hedging because I was inebriated. He relented once I assured him I would order food. But is that really true, you couldn't use FFD to relax and work or socialize over a few drinks if you didn't want to eat?
Lol, that makes zero sense, of course it's ok to just grab a drink(s) in Flagship Dining if that's all you want. I think someone needs some more training.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Lol, that makes zero sense, of course it's ok to just grab a drink(s) in Flagship Dining if that's all you want. I think someone needs some more training.
Yea.....why do they have a physical BAR at FFD then?
HofstraJet likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Yea.....why do they have a physical BAR at FFD then?
Exactly what I was about to post.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I made my first visit this morning. Handed the agent at the lower level checkpoint my MIA-MCO boarding pass, she scanned it, said "are you coming in off an international flight?" and after I said yes she handed me a little laminated card to show upstairs.

The main part of the lounge by the entrance looks a little Admirals Club-y. In fact, it's very similar to the redesigned D15 Club.

Back from the main lounge area is a quiet zone and some full recliners for sleeping in a darkened part of the club

By the entrance is a limited food station

Apparently the bar isn't open at 7 AM

Good food spread with smoked salmon (terrible bagels though), salad, fruit, French Toast, eggs, sausage, bacon and an omelet bar

It's nice having a big shower too. While I don't think this lounge is as nice as the DFW FL, it's really good.
teemuflyer, zpaul and jediwisdom like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I made my second visit last week, on Wednesday from about noon to 3 PM

Unlike JFK and LAX it seems there's usually plenty of space here due to its size

I was pleased to find this fondue station

Food was very good. The lobster sandwiches were tasty as were the hot options

They also had a turkey station for Thanskgiving.

Booze offerings were pretty good (though no Glenlivet) and the beers were lame but I liked having some local choices. I will note also that Wifi is inconsistent depending what part of the club you're in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.