Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA / Miami Flagship Lounge at D30 (new Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA / Miami Flagship Lounge at D30 (new Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pedro M
You are talking about two different things. I think the confusion starts by thinking that the FL and the D30 lounge share some of the same space. The FL, that happens to physically be very close to the D30 lounge, is up and running. The D30 lounge, on the other hand, is closed for renovations.
To put it another way, there are two lounges near D30 - an Admiral's Club and a Flagship Lounge. The FL is open but the AC is under construction.

Also, note that the entrance to the FL is just a small door into what looks like a dark hallway so it's easy to miss.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Also, note that the entrance to the FL is just a small door into what looks like a dark hallway so it's easy to miss.
I suspect that the hallway will become a common entrance for both the FL and AC along with AAngels serving both lounges for check-in, and that when you check in they will direct you to the appropriate lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I suspect that the hallway will become a common entrance for both the FL and AC along with AAngels serving both lounges for check-in, and that when you check in they will direct you to the appropriate lounge.
If I'm interpreting your post correctly, that's exactly what has happened.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I haven't been to this FSL in many months...maybe since Jan 2018? But offerings seem to have gone downhill. Arepas are gone and replaced by an uninspired beef tenderloin, there is only 1 red wine available, and the liquor selection positively pales in comparison to LAX or ORD. Even the charcuterie is now fairly pedestrian...gone is the nice chorizo and decent quality proscuitto. Anyone else feel similarly?

Last edited by ikwia; Sep 14, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ikwia
I haven't been to this FSL in many months...maybe since Jan 2018? But offerings seem to have gone downhill. Arepas are gone and replaced by an uninspired beef tenderloin, there is only 1 red wine available, and the liquor selection positively pales in comparison to LAX or ORD. Even the charcuterie is now fairly pedestrian...gone is the nice chorizo and decent quality proscuitto. Anyone else feel similarly?
I've recently been in the FLs in MIA and LAX. My feeling is the buffets look much more impressive in blogger posts and trip reports. The actually offerings, including their quality was very mediocre. Now, yes, it was much better than the old FL in terms of appearance, the food was meh IMO
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:17 pm

I agree that they seem underwhelming. I prefer the Centurion Lounge food. And drinks.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrunkenDuck
I agree that they seem underwhelming. I prefer the Centurion Lounge food. And drinks.
I just got to whatever is closer. The other day I had an E gates train flight -- I didn't realize the E lounge doesn't open to noon so just took the train and had a coffee sitting by the gate hooked into a phone charger column and using the airport's free WiFi. At the end of the day, the gate area was mostly empty so really makes me glad I don't have $$$ for FL or AC access. Not worth it.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I've recently been in the FLs in MIA and LAX. My feeling is the buffets look much more impressive in blogger posts and trip reports. The actually offerings, including their quality was very mediocre. Now, yes, it was much better than the old FL in terms of appearance, the food was meh IMO
I only have experience in the MIA FL, but based on that, I agree about the food. I passed through twice this week, and second time was a long layover where i saw both the breakfast and lunch offerings. My biggest gripe is that the entrees are almost always cooked to death. This week the lunch offering was grouper or pork. Both were cooked to the consistency of leather. The side dishes are also uninspired and bland. The thing that I really don't understand are the cold sides. The salads are almost all compositions that look pretty on a plate, but they give you tongs for serving, so the first person destroys the presentation; I'd prefer bowls of salads like they have (or had) at the Premium Lounge. The thing that surprises me is the lack of bread choices. They put out some very nice lunch meats, and I would be happy to build a sandwich, but the only bread during lunch are tiny rolls. I was contemplating trekking to the Premium Lounge and would have if I did not have to leave to run an errand.

Yes, these are very picky complaints. There is a lot of stuff that I really like, particularly the smoked salmon and the bacon at breakfast. The coffee machines are great, and I am happy with the wine and liquor selections. The FL is an order of magnitude better than any lounge available to me on any other airline that serves my home airport and is a big reason that I make a point of flying AA even when the competition may have a slightly better price or schedule.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I only have experience in the MIA FL, but based on that, I agree about the food. I passed through twice this week, and second time was a long layover where i saw both the breakfast and lunch offerings. My biggest gripe is that the entrees are almost always cooked to death. This week the lunch offering was grouper or pork. Both were cooked to the consistency of leather. The side dishes are also uninspired and bland. The thing that I really don't understand are the cold sides. The salads are almost all compositions that look pretty on a plate, but they give you tongs for serving, so the first person destroys the presentation; I'd prefer bowls of salads like they have (or had) at the Premium Lounge. The thing that surprises me is the lack of bread choices. They put out some very nice lunch meats, and I would be happy to build a sandwich, but the only bread during lunch are tiny rolls. I was contemplating trekking to the Premium Lounge and would have if I did not have to leave to run an errand.

Yes, these are very picky complaints. There is a lot of stuff that I really like, particularly the smoked salmon and the bacon at breakfast. The coffee machines are great, and I am happy with the wine and liquor selections. The FL is an order of magnitude better than any lounge available to me on any other airline that serves my home airport and is a big reason that I make a point of flying AA even when the competition may have a slightly better price or schedule.
I am a huge fan of the new FLs, but I have one particular food-related gripe. They don't have any crackers! They have all this cheese sitting around, but no crackers to eat it with. Just a simple fix, and my cheese plate would be complete...
coolcoil and MADPhil like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I've started going to the Priority Pass restaurants to get something different because I feel the food is a bit tired (and lacking) here. I'll then go to the FL to drink and work.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The food at Corona Beach is one place that the FL should beat in quality. The chicken breast seemed like it was composite pressed chicken parts. Guacamole was good. Nachos are ok but not what I try to eat when on the road.
zpaul likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have long given up on any food served in AC or FL to satisfy my hunger...
dont expect much and you wont be disappointed

Last edited by fotographer; Sep 17, 2018 at 6:52 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:44 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I wish the "hot" food was kept at a higher temperatumore than lukewarm. Drives me nuts that they don't adjust the server/buffet settings to keep the food truly hot.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:43 pm

I haven't been to this FSL in many months...maybe since Jan 2018? But offerings seem to have gone downhill.
So I've got to give credit when it's due -- today's food spread is actually quite good. The higher quality charcuterie is out, they have some decent (cold) steak, spicy thai shrimp, excellent wings, a pretty good heirloom tomato gazpacho, and the "made to order" station is doing fish tacos, which are REALLY good. So it seems the experience varies quite a bit, at least as it regards food.
zpaul likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
So I've got to give credit when it's due -- today's food spread is actually quite good. The higher quality charcuterie is out, they have some decent (cold) steak, spicy thai shrimp, excellent wings, a pretty good heirloom tomato gazpacho, and the "made to order" station is doing fish tacos, which are REALLY good. So it seems the experience varies quite a bit, at least as it regards food.
I agree! The fish tacos were winners for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.