Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

Because this benefit is now available to some Citi and Barclaycard holders, and is a benefit of the new combined AAdvantage programme, the previous thread in the pre-consolidation forum has been closed and this will be the new consolidated thread on the topic.

For those interested in reviewing the previous thread, it is still visible here:
Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption (archive)

Informed members are encouraged to create, populate and maintain a wiki on this new thread, especially as there continue to be questions about the benefit (stackability, etc.).

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 17, 2015 at 2:28 am
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:25 am

AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)

Hello,

I booked a February ticket to Europe several months ago and would like to move the return date up by one day. Since then, I cancelled the Citi credit card with 10% reimbursement as the annual fee was coming due. As I booked my trip as a roundtrip, does anyone know if I will lose the 10% mile rebate (already received) on just the return, on both parts, or if I will keep it as it is a rebooking and not a cancellation? Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Whenever I've made changes of dates, it's generally not required a redeposit of the miles, and so long as that doesn't happen, your rebate is safe. IIRC, a redeposit is needed when you're booking a totally different price level of award, i.e. changing region or cabin of service.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by AwardBee
Whenever I've made changes of dates, it's generally not required a redeposit of the miles, and so long as that doesn't happen, your rebate is safe. IIRC, a redeposit is needed when you're booking a totally different price level of award, i.e. changing region or cabin of service.
Just changed it without a redeposit/reissue, just as you said it would! Thanks! ^
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Citi + Barclay CC 10% mileage rebate bonuses after merger into Aadvantage Stackable??

I just got a letter from Barclay regarding my USAirways card touting a new benefit of a %10 rebate of Aadvantage mileage used. Citi offers the same thing. Does anyone know if one has the Barclay card and the Citi Aadvantage card if you get %10 from each?

Citi does not stack this benefit if you have multiple cards with it. You just get the 10% total for the year. But, Barclays is a different bank. It would be great if we got 20% back up to a max of 20K by getting 10% from each.

Anyone with more info on this please chime in.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I wondered the same thing but later docs from Barclay mentioned the flat 10K mile benefit so I figured they changed their mind on the perk they offer (instead of, rather than in addition to, the 10%).
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I extremely doubt it.

You need to understand how the computer programming works on such automatically-given benefits, and then you'd see why they won't stack.

Here is how the code currently works at AA with the Citi AA cards:

There is a Boolean (yes/no) variable called something like "10_percent_rebate_enabled".

It gets initialied to "no" when an AA account is created (or when this feature was first added, for older AA accounts).

If it sees you've got a Citi AA card, it sets that variable to "yes".

If it sees you've got another Citi AA card, it again sets that variable to "yes". (It can't set it to "more yes"; the only possible states for the variable are "yes" or "no".)

Ie, there's no addition involved; however many cards you have, they all set the same variable to "yes".

In turn, once you redeem miles, it checks that variable, and if it's set to "yes", it gives you the 10% bonus (limited to the 10k cap); if it's set to "no", it doesn't.

And thus there's nothing else for a Barclay card to do but set that very same variable to "yes". And have the same effect as a second or third or fourth Citi AA card setting it to "yes".

That's the way any decent programmer would implement it, that's clearly the way it's implemented for Citi AA cards, and I see no reason for it to be implemented any other way when Barclay AA cards come into the mix.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I extremely doubt it.

You need to understand how the computer programming works on such automatically-given benefits, and then you'd see why they won't stack.

There is a Boolean (yes/no) variable called something like "10_percent_rebate_enabled".

It gets initialied to "no" when an AA account is created (or when this feature was first added, for older AA accounts).

If it sees you've got another Citi AA card, it again sets that variable to "yes". (It can't set it to "more yes"; the only possible states for the variable are "yes" or "no".)

Ie, there's no addition involved; however many cards you have, they all set the same variable to "yes".

In turn, once you redeem miles, it checks that variable, and if it's set to "yes", it gives you the 10% bonus (limited to the 10k cap); if it's set to "no", it doesn't.

And thus there's nothing else for a Barclay card to do but set that very same variable to "yes". And have the same effect as a second or third or fourth Citi AA card setting it to "yes".

That's the way any decent programmer would implement it, that's clearly the way it's implemented for Citi AA cards, and I see no reason for it to be implemented any other way when Barclay AA cards come into the mix.
If this is the case, then Barclay and Citi need to put the limit in the ad.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:22 pm

Not at all true. This is how a lazy programmer would implement it.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Programmer here

Given that the Citi rebate posts to AAdvantage accounts as "CITI 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015", not a generic posting with no bank identified, I think it's more likely that the boolean (if it's even implemented that way) is more like "citi_10_percent_rebate_enabled".

So whether Barclays stacks with that still seems like a totally open question until some people can report back.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's another thought: I doubt AA intends for it to stack. So even if (because of how it's coded) it does intiially stack, as soon as that comes to AA's attentiion they'll try to end it. (And I suspect they'd have an easier time ending something like that than they had with ending "all miles from all sources" counting toward MM status.)

So let me revise what I wrote above: It's extremely unlkiely to stack in the long run, but whether it stacks for a short time (and they don't "claw it back") is a little harder to be sure about.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
I extremely doubt it.

I have been a degree carrying computer engineer for over 20 years now. I understand psuedocode. Did you get this information from AA IT?

If not then its purely speculatory.
Granted that would be a way, but not the only way to code the logic.

I asked AA who told me to ask the banks who then told me to ask AA. Barclays says they think, but are not sure it is stackable. They will not know for certain until March when the benefit actually kicks in.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:25 pm

Here's another thought: I doubt AA intends for it to stack. So even if (because of how it's coded) it does intiially stack, as soon as that comes to AA's attentiion they'll try to end it. (And I suspect they'd have an easier time ending something like that than they had with ending "all miles from all sources" counting toward MM status.)

So let me revise what I wrote above: It's extremely unlkiely to stack in the long run, but whether it stacks for a short time (and they don't "claw it back") is a little harder to be sure about.
Why do you doubt such a thing? Why would AA not want to sell those additional miles to a second bank?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:02 am

Related question:

I'm thinking of targeting AA this year and applying for both the Citi and Barclays cards as they both have 50k mile bonuses right now. If I get both cards, in a few months, when Dividend and AAvantage merge, would I have 100k miles in my AA account?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goingconcern
Related question:

I'm thinking of targeting AA this year and applying for both the Citi and Barclays cards as they both have 50k mile bonuses right now. If I get both cards, in a few months, when Dividend and AAvantage merge, would I have 100k miles in my AA account?
Not really a related question, but yes, of course you would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.