Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Quite a "Welcome On Board" (FA consuming banana)

Quite a "Welcome On Board" (FA consuming banana)

Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Is anyone really surprised? This is coming from the same airline that can't feed their passengers on any flights or cabin out of LAX. #GoingForGreat
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I flew CLT-PHL this afternoon. Upon entering the plane the FA at the door greeted us with a banana in hand and mouth. Quite a sight. All I could think of was how none of the Asian or ME FA's would be greeting pax with food hanging out of the mouth. Sorry to the defenders, it is not professional, but it the US airline FA mentality. I could not imagine meeting my clients with food hanging out of my mouth.
How dare they take some time to eat. Didn't they know King TonyBurr was boarding? Man, you should tar and feather them or something.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Man, some of you just don't seem to understand a rant.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Your comment literally had nothing to do with what I posted.
You're right. Multi-quoted and included your comment by mistake. My bad. I've corrected my post; and I apologize.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:29 am
Suspended

Actually I hope she had enough to share. It's more than the airlines think we deserve in the back of the house.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:31 am

I don't understand why people defend employees who can't comply with their employers guidelines.
I'm sure American has standards for boarding/greeting and eating isn't in it.
Also, there are rules about gate agents verifying with cabin crew about authorization to begin boarding.
If the job is too tough for you to go by the rules then you shouldn't do it.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
This is quite the rant about a policy that I'm not even sure exists.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I love a good ol' Flyertalk rant about the "US airline FA mentality" as much as the next guy, but about snagging a banana between flights?!?

The rest of the flight must have been pretty good if this is the thing you complain about.

Originally Posted by jah718
There is no defending this.
I'll try. The FA had been working all day, was really hungry, and had like 2 minutes before she had to start working the PDBs for the arriving F pax. A banana happens to be an easy, portable, fast thing to eat and gives you a quick energy hit as well. Totally logical thing for her to eat right then. Onboarding pax are saved from a potentially harrowing situation with a hangry FA. Everybody wins!
Grog, LovePrunes and enpremiere like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I flew CLT-PHL this afternoon. Upon entering the plane the FA at the door greeted us with a banana in hand and mouth. Quite a sight. All I could think of was how none of the Asian or ME FA's would be greeting pax with food hanging out of the mouth. Sorry to the defenders, it is not professional, but it the US airline FA mentality. I could not imagine meeting my clients with food hanging out of my mouth.
That banana “incident” was quite shocking and would never be tolerated by Asian or ME carriers, well, except for the Emirates FA who poured used champagne back into the bottle in the video that went viral four months ago - now that’s professional! Enjoy that champagne!🥂
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
It isn't often I post on this site because of the nasty nasty comments many others on this site make toward you.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
This is quite the rant about a policy that I'm not even sure exists.
I would find it hard to believe they don't have a policy that would be violated by eating a banana while greeting boarding passengers.
That is extremely odd as I have never seen an FA eating or drinking anything when boarding passengers
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
Glad to see 2 of the 3 first replies are ok with unprofessional behavior. Pretty sad state of affairs. Not to mention the condescending attitude towards the OP.

OP, I would definitely submit a comment to AA. Won't do much, but at least it brings some awareness to behavior I'm sure is not condoned by management.
The problem isn't his gripping about the eating, its the usual "Asian or ME FA's" BS. The moment the OP brought up "Asian or ME FA's" he lost my sympathy and all I heard was the FA was too old, too fat and too ugly.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I fly EK every now and then. I've never had any service issue on an EK flight (business class), but it's not like the FAs are chipper and cheery. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA100k
That banana “incident” was quite shocking and would never be tolerated by Asian or ME carriers, well, except for the Emirates FA who poured used champagne back into the bottle in the video that went viral four months ago - now that’s professional! Enjoy that champagne!🥂
Yeah at least EK serves champagne. AA serves some sort of swill called "sparkling wine".
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jah718
I honestly don't understand the people above saying you are free to move to another country. No matter what way you look at it, this is unprofessional behavior from the FA. There is no defending this.

I agree with the sentiment that this is not the standard of FAs on US airlines, however, it doesn't make their behavior any better.
OP did set the stage with "none of the Asian or ME FA's would be greeting pax with food hanging out of the mouth". When one makes nationalistic comparisons, one shouldn't be surprised when they're put to the test.

Originally Posted by justforfun
Glad to see 2 of the 3 first replies are ok with unprofessional behavior. Pretty sad state of affairs. Not to mention the condescending attitude towards the OP.
I didn't read them as ok with unprofessional behavior--more like tossing back the hot potato of "one country's X is better an another country's X". As for condescension, again OP also initiated it with " Sorry to the defenders, it is not professional" before there was even a defender in sight.

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Really? Of all the things that are wrong with U.S. airlines, THIS is today's complaint?

Maybe the poor FA had all of five minutes to scarf down a snack after working the flight in, and was caught of guard when the agent started boarding early?

OP needs to get a grip. This thread is a joke.
I would agree, with the exception of your last two sentences. No need to take it to that level IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.