Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Quite a "Welcome On Board" (FA consuming banana)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM

I flew CLT-PHL this afternoon. Upon entering the plane the FA at the door greeted us with a banana in hand and mouth. Quite a sight. All I could think of was how none of the Asian or ME FA's would be greeting pax with food hanging out of the mouth. Sorry to the defenders, it is not professional, but it the US airline FA mentality. I could not imagine meeting my clients with food hanging out of my mouth.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
You're free to move to another country that upholds the cultural standards you demand. Otherwise I'm not quite sure what resolution you're seeking from this thread.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I flew CLT-PHL this afternoon. Upon entering the plane the FA at the door greeted us with a banana in hand and mouth. Quite a sight. All I could think of was how none of the Asian or ME FA's would be greeting pax with food hanging out of the mouth. Sorry to the defenders, it is not professional, but it the US airline FA mentality. I could not imagine meeting my clients with food hanging out of my mouth.
(bolding mine)

It certainly is unprofessional.

It certainly is not the US airline FA mentality.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
You are free to choose any available Asian or MidEast carrier for your next CLT-PHL trip.
Grog and JacksonOBrian like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Glad to see 2 of the 3 first replies are ok with unprofessional behavior. Pretty sad state of affairs. Not to mention the condescending attitude towards the OP.

OP, I would definitely submit a comment to AA. Won't do much, but at least it brings some awareness to behavior I'm sure is not condoned by management.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Unless people everywhere in the US are flying and encountering this same behavior from an FA, I am not sold on the condemnation of this being a US airlines FA way of life or anything like presented.

Simply put, it was poor form from this FA, and that's all. I would be eager to hear the explanation from the OP some more though. Was this just temporarily while perhaps being caught off guard from unsuspected start of boarding? Did they do this the entire boarding time?
Grog and awayIgo like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:11 pm

So, how was the service otherwise?
Grog likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Did you get a PDB sitting in FC or a banana split? That FA needs to go back to Fort Worth for some training. Was this a mainline flt?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:53 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
This kind of behavior (monkeying around with bananas) is actually encouraged and rewarded on some (Southwest) airlines.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:57 am

I honestly don't understand the people above saying you are free to move to another country. No matter what way you look at it, this is unprofessional behavior from the FA. There is no defending this.

I agree with the sentiment that this is not the standard of FAs on US airlines, however, it doesn't make their behavior any better.
cairns, brizone, nutwpinut and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:18 am

between this thread and the one about "FA's sharing their saliva with you" it sure would be nice if people could put thread titles that actually state what they're about rather than trying to be clever.
yeah the FA shouldn't have been stuffing her face when you boarded. maybe there was something going on that caused it to be unplanned, and yeah it makes her look bad. Maybe or maybe not she was embarrassed. But please we need to get over the drama of pretending someone is entering the Ritz Carlton when they step into the aircraft as a passenger. Next there'll be a thread about the horror of discovering the FA's reading People Magazine instead of say, War and Peace or The Wall Street Journal.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:04 am

Really? Of all the things that are wrong with U.S. airlines, THIS is today's complaint?

Maybe the poor FA had all of five minutes to scarf down a snack after working the flight in, and was caught of guard when the agent started boarding early?

OP needs to get a grip. This thread is a joke.

Last edited by TheSkyGuy; Nov 20, 2017 at 5:10 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rjw242
You're free to move to another country that upholds the cultural standards you demand.
It wouldn't happen on CX, JL or QR, for example, because they don't tolerate such behavior. Nor do they have to deal with the union. It's also just one of the many consequences of not having front line management for cabin crew on the flights.
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 20, 2017 at 10:19 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jah718
I honestly don't understand the people above saying you are free to move to another country.
You're bewildered at the idea of moving to a different country? Must be American...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It wouldn't happen on CX, JL or QR, for example, because they don't tolerate such behavior. Nor do they have to deal with the union. It's also just one of the many consequences of not having front line management for cabin crew on the flights.
Your comment literally had nothing to do with what I posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.