Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA --> Delta or United

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
1. AA still doesn't charge FCM for flights, so occasionally you get short domestic flights. UA and DL do, however.
2. Award availability is not transparent in DL. You have to pay what their website shows, not what the award chart is supposed to charge.

Important notes:

Changes in DL programs and lounge access rules:

1. Jan 1 2019 - No more complimentary access to DL SkyClub with DL Centurion/PLT flying on DL. You have to pay $29USD to visit. Heck, not even SkyClub members (Full SkyClub) can access the lounge even when they do not fly DL.
2. More D1 routes. Only available for upgrades on same-day of departure, but you can be assured no way you will get those upgrades.
3. Some Europe routes go as recliners instead of all Delta One, and will be sold as Premium Economy.
4. Forget SDC to from doemstic to D1. Will not work ever again.

Adding:
1. DL hide fare buckets without disclosing to the public -> Lack of transparency.
2. Arrogant ground staff and agents.

You can decide whether you still would like to shoot for DL status.

UA:
1. Better Customer Service.
2. Pretty bad OTP.
3. Upgrade rates way down in domestic routes.

UA Silver isn't that bad, but you have to ask yourself what exactly you would like to get out of the switch?

YMMV. Safe travel.
Hi. I actually have the straight AMEX Platinum, not the Delta one. Are you saying that the AMEX Platinum won't get me into the Sky Club anymore as of 1/1/19?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PeakTek78
Hi. I actually have the straight AMEX Platinum, not the Delta one. Are you saying that the AMEX Platinum won't get me into the Sky Club anymore as of 1/1/19?
No, it will still get you in for free after 1/1/19. Poster was confused on the changes. It is the DL Sky Club membership and DL Amex terms that are changing (they will require you have a same day flight on DL or partners for entrance after 1/1/19. You can currently enter using those with a same-day BP on any airline).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by PeakTek78
--------
American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.
--------

LBJ clarified cardholders still have access and will after Jan 1 2019. I assumed 'guests' include card holders.

But don't be surprised if DL starts charging AMex Centurion/PLT Card holders for $29USD a pop in the near future.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But don't be surprised if DL starts charging AMex Centurion/PLT Card holders for $29USD a pop in the near future.
I would be quite surprised.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
UA:
2. Pretty bad OTP.
Not the case anymore. At worst they're 1A/1B with DL. I think the most fair statement is that UA has the best performance of the legacies when comparing equals.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I can point to an IdeaWorks study involving 7,200 award searches that says AA is significantly inferior to Delta on saver award searches. Delta was ranked better than United, too. Is your methodology and analysis comparable?

http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...eport-2017.pdf

AA's awards availability superiority at this point is little but memories and hubris.
That study's methodology is very simplistic and skews heavily in DL's direction. Two reasons for this. The first is the measure of domestic "saver" awards. Here DL does well and has their one strong point, but it's never a large advantage, and when is a domestic economy award the end goal of a FF program? And second, and most importantly, is that the study gives no distinction to the amount of awards available per day--only that a low award is available. That's huge since in my experiences DL is very restrictive on the number of available flights per day. It's common to see excessive connection times, undesirable routings, or poor flight times among a small amount of "saver" awards. It's not uncommon to see a single undesirable flight at the lowest award level on a given day. In contrast, with UA I usually have a large selection of lights to choose from, and it's commonly the most desirable flights. AA is tighter in this regard, but I'd still rank it solidly ahead of DL's daily selection. And to top it off, DL's variable pricing means you're never really sure of what a "saver" award is on DL. Prices change day-by-day just like revenue tickets with no real way of predicting the future. It's maddening.
ijgordon and tryathlete like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
As someone who lives far from elderly parents in varying states of health, I put significant value on domestic economy awards as an alternative to expensive next day fares. (Every flyer has different needs and all) I will say that I’ve had the best luck with United for getting those kinds of saver tickets
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
--------
American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.
--------
This isn't accurate. Even now one must be flying DL to access the SC with an Amex Platinum card and guests are charged the $29 fee.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
--------
--------
Incorrect. As cmd320 pointed out, this is currently the case. Some blogger made the same claim, and now it's getting parroted around as fact. Nothing is changing for the Amex Plat and Cent.

I, for one, would be shocked.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skyteamguy
Agreed. Not having the ability to redeem for IFC was a major bummer for me personally, before I made the switch. Once you try F, there's no going back. J is more like a gateway drug

Over the past couple of years, I've been privileged enough to fly CX F, EY F, BA F and CX J using my AA miles (haven't spent > 115K one way for F). Closest equivalent using DL SM would probably be D1, AF or VS J. Not even a fair fight...
This. The inability to redeem for F awards is a major negative for DL in my view, I am OK with J for work trips but for vacations I will only travel in F. While with AA miles you might not be able to find an award seat in F when you need to fly, which happened on my vacation last year and I was stuck buying F on GA and EY but this year I was able to secure CX F and EY F award seats which saved a ton of money. Add in all the other award issues related to the SkyPeso and while I will fly DL when its the best option it will never be my preferred airline, if I was to leave AA it'd have to be UA for the ability to book F awards.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
This. The inability to redeem for F awards is a major negative for DL in my view, I am OK with J for work trips but for vacations I will only travel in F. While with AA miles you might not be able to find an award seat in F when you need to fly, which happened on my vacation last year and I was stuck buying F on GA and EY but this year I was able to secure CX F and EY F award seats which saved a ton of money. Add in all the other award issues related to the SkyPeso and while I will fly DL when its the best option it will never be my preferred airline, if I was to leave AA it'd have to be UA for the ability to book F awards.
Agreed here. DL's lack of partner F availability is definitely a huge negative.
ijgordon and skyteamguy like this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:25 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
So far, this thread is mostly about "Delta sux". But how about United?

My travel will increase significantly in 2018, with at least one transatlantic trip per month. The company will gladly spring for Premium Economy but will balk at buying biz class. Although my actual destination is toward the direction of BRS, EXT and NQY, I'm kinda stuck with LHR due to scarcity of flights into the southwest of England.

If you were gonna fly transatlantic (usually IAH-LHR) each month, what would you do?
  • Stay with AA, fly a lot of BA Premium Economy (which earns a lot of points on AA)?
  • Switch entirely to another airline? (which one?)
  • Fly some on OW and some on another airline to achieve status in both? (Which other airline?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.