Wiki Posts
Search

American Airline's Chutzpah

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
American Airline's Chutzpah

I paid two $200 change fees to change the day of departure on my ticket and my wife's for a spring flight. I could have waited for a probable schedule change and then cancelled and re-booked, but I decided not to gamble on a price hike or not getting the seats we wanted. Fair enough. Today I got an e-mail from American saying that they had changed our flights and at no charge to us. The change was adding an extra half hour to our already adequate layovers coming and going. Thanks, American, for not charging us for the change to a more inconvenient flight.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Huh?
So because you paid a change fee, AA is not allowed to make schedule changes?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: none
Call a lawyer, cancel your FF account, and never fly them again. That will serve them right.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:06 pm

The OP seems to believe that paying a fee to change the date, and the change in the schedule of the new flights, are related somehow. They are completely unconnected, making the post incoherent. The schedule change is to the new flight, not the original flight. Even if it were the original flight, 30 min is not enough to trigger free changes/refunds.

Of course, I agree that this is a terrible story. It's probably the worst treatment by an airline I have heard of in many years of flying.
AAExpDFW likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The OP seems to believe that paying a fee to change the date, and the change in the schedule of the new flights, are related somehow. They are completely unconnected, making the post incoherent. The schedule change is to the new flight, not the original flight. Even if it were the original flight, 30 min is not enough to trigger free changes/refunds.

Of course, I agree that this is a terrible story. It's probably the worst treatment by an airline I have heard of in many years of flying.
Yep, much worse than being dragged off the plane because you refuse to do what the police told you. Right or wrong, non-compliance is probably not going to get you what you want
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing to complain about and the post title makes less than no sense.

OP chose to book inflexible tickets which carried a change fee. He then chose to change the dates, incurring a change fee which he knew of before he booked. He is then upset that AA changed its schedule when he himself acknowledges that he chose to change the tickets and pay the penalty rather than chance things.

The chutzpah of complaining about nothing !
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:31 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
To all the AA defenders, I think the OP's point is that it sucks that he gets charge $200 to make a change while AA makes them with impunity. I don't know how the defenders can't see the irony/unfairness/annoying-ness of this disparity. And yes, I know, he could have paid 10x the fare he bought and avoided change fees....
normcpa likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Wasn't there a proposal in Florida to require airlines to pay passengers the amount of the change fee on their ticket, if/when they changed schedules?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
To all the AA defenders, I think the OP's point is that it sucks that he gets charge $200 to make a change while AA makes them with impunity. I don't know how the defenders can't see the irony/unfairness/annoying-ness of this disparity. And yes, I know, he could have paid 10x the fare he bought and avoided change fees....
Did you catch the fact that the schedule changes amounted to a half hour in each direction?
formeraa likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Im lost on the complaint and the title of the thread ; yes it is one sided that AA can make changes but, based on the thread title, it seems to be a complaint about AA having the audacity to do so after someone has paid the change fee to book on that flight
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Go fly Southwest. No change fees, just add/collect if the fare changes (plus refunds if the fares go DOWN- AA charges the $200 fee on top of a downfare, so they really have to go down to make a refare worth it). Also, since OP is talking about "a spring flight", OP would get free changes on Alaska Airlines outside of 60 days before the flight.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shawn02139
Wasn't there a proposal in Florida to require airlines to pay passengers the amount of the change fee on their ticket, if/when they changed schedules?
Wouldn't that tend to raise the price of tickets involving Florida? Additionally, can FL even do this?
?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mvoight
Wouldn't that tend to raise the price of tickets involving Florida? Additionally, can FL even do this?
?
It might encourage the airline to plan its schedules better and not have so many changes
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the issue is simply to not book that fare or that carrier if you want to avoid this. I have lifetime Platinum status on AA, but that doesn't stop me from flying other carriers that have what I need, like
1. WN - 2 free checked bags, no charge for overhead, no change fees.
2. DL - After the hurricane when I needed to get back to TPA and WN didn't fly back until the next day
3 Allegiant - Non stop Clearwater (PIE) to Peoria (PIA) - Not a bad fare, even after the bag fee and preferred seat fee. And,, how else are you going to go PIE to PIA nonstop?

I don't complain about expected things, like the $200 change fee, and minor schedule changes.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
I think the issue is simply to not book that fare or that carrier if you want to avoid this. I have lifetime Platinum status on AA, but that doesn't stop me from flying other carriers that have what I need, like
1. WN - 2 free checked bags, no charge for overhead, no change fees.
2. DL - After the hurricane when I needed to get back to TPA and WN didn't fly back until the next day
3 Allegiant - Non stop Clearwater (PIE) to Peoria (PIA) - Not a bad fare, even after the bag fee and preferred seat fee. And,, how else are you going to go PIE to PIA nonstop?

I don't complain about expected things, like the $200 change fee, and minor schedule changes.
Careful - your bias is showing; assuming you have LT PLT status on AA, there are no checked bag fees, and since AA has interline agreements with other carriers, (which WN does not), they typically do not strand passengers during IROPS - particularly elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.