Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page > TATL Business class one way vs round trip pricing

TATL Business class one way vs round trip pricing

Old Nov 14, 17, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT-50 LTG; AF Ivoire
TATL Business class one way vs round trip pricing

I normally travel from the US to Europe around 4 to 5 times a year; I started looking at tickets for my February trip and business class prices seem unusually high (relative to what I paid for my last two trips this year). However, starting from Europe the price is about 3/4 the price starting in the US (and somewhat less than I have been paying this year).

I can use miles to get to Europe; is there any issue with getting a ticket with miles going and then buying my future tickets starting in Europe?
I.e.,

US-EUR via miles
EUR-US-EUR paid etc.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 17, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Makes sense
Old Nov 14, 17, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ckendall View Post
I normally travel from the US to Europe around 4 to 5 times a year; I started looking at tickets for my February trip and business class prices seem unusually high (relative to what I paid for my last two trips this year). However, starting from Europe the price is about 3/4 the price starting in the US (and somewhat less than I have been paying this year).

I can use miles to get to Europe; is there any issue with getting a ticket with miles going and then buying my future tickets starting in Europe?
I.e.,

US-EUR via miles
EUR-US-EUR paid etc.

Thanks
None at all, as long as you don't need proof of return flight to enter the EU country you have chosen.

But you can also do this by booking a cheap Y fare return for US-Europe, with the return towards the end of next year perhaps, and then buy your U EU-US business class tickets as many times as you want until you need to use your Y return.
Old Nov 14, 17, 1:31 pm

Typically as long as you're not trying to circumvent published fare rules (i.e. minimum/overnight stays), there isn't anything unreasonable about it. Assuming that you can get award space to position yourself, go for it!
Old Nov 14, 17, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None. Many people do it. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a ticket in Europe which originates in Europe.

If you are required to produce proof of a return ticket, produce the ticket e-ticket receipt for your return ticket. Border control people don't care about the oddities of fare rules, they care that you have proof of the means to leave the country.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 14, 17, 2:11 pm

As others have suggested, there's nothing wrong with your plan at all.

Having said that, you may also want to look at the AAVacations route. You can often find extremely good business class deals to Europe that way. See this thread for lots more detail:

AA: Reduced J Prices to Europe when purchasing via AA Vacations
Old Nov 14, 17, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT-50 LTG; AF Ivoire
Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
As others have suggested, there's nothing wrong with your plan at all.

Having said that, you may also want to look at the AAVacations route. You can often find extremely good business class deals to Europe that way. See this thread for lots more detail:

AA: Reduced J Prices to Europe when purchasing via AA Vacations
Many thanks to all and especially for this.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm (but not acknowledged), SPG PLT, Marriott Elite PLT

I.e.,

US-EUR via miles
EUR-US-EUR paid etc.

Thanks
My wife and I did this when we did a kid drop for university in Florence a few years ago. I burned miles for biz to FCO for all three, then bought a r/t Y for the two of us starting in Barcelona back to JFK via MAD. As a PLT both of us scored u/g on IB from MAD to JFK which was a VERY pleasant surprise for us pre-FT. We used the start in Europe series three times after that, generally through LHR (until we started doing three/four times a year to Brazil).
Old Nov 14, 17, 9:24 pm

Location: The Heartland -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, Avis President's Club
However, starting from Europe the price is about 3/4 the price starting in the US (and somewhat less than I have been paying this year).

I.e.,

US-EUR via miles
EUR-US-EUR paid etc.

Thanks
You and I think exactly the same thing. Get Thyself to Europe using miles, then save 25 percent or more on every ticket thereafter.
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I.e.,

US-EUR via miles
EUR-US-EUR paid etc.

Thanks
I would just carefully check prices for the EU-originating tickets on the dates you want to travel. Deep discount fares may have maximum stay limitations and if it's, say, more than 3 months between trips that EU-originating ticket might cost a lot more. (That said, a spot check of a few routes shows the vast majority have 12-month max stays). Also, check the fare rules, it's not unusual for EU-originating deep-discount tickets to be completely non-changeable.
Old Nov 15, 17, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life

I.e.,

US-EUR via miles
EUR-US-EUR paid etc.

Thanks

One way J from Europe is really expensive. RT from Europe is very cheap. If you buy a RT and don't plan on using the return AA may take exception because it is considered a fictitious return.

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post
One way J from Europe is really expensive. RT from Europe is very cheap. If you buy a RT and don't plan on using the return AA may take exception because it is considered a fictitious return.
First, not really relevant to the discussion at hand since OP is proposing to both buy and use RT tickets.

Second, although AA's fare rules don't allow you to buy a RT ticket and throw away the return, in practice there's essentially no risk in doing this just one time, fictitious return or no.
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post

Have a great trip.
The person wasn't suggesting doing anything like that though but simply getting an award ticket one way to Europe and then purchasing r/ts from Europe - which is perfectly ok to do
Old Nov 19, 17, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have done transatlantic cruises, and buy round Trip tickets from Europe. Be aware of detailed fare rules, change fees (always review the detailed fare rules).

Search this Thread