Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA newbies working F because these PAX are divas?

Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt

Twice since the merger I have flown in F where it was mentioned that the FA was working the F cabin on their very first flight. They received no help on one flight and little on the other. No real issues and other PAX were patient even though on one flight the service was painfully slow. These were domestic single aisle planes.

So I have a close family relative who is a FA and took the opportunity to ask why in the world would you assign trainees with your best or most loyal customers. That I can't think of any other business that would try this. Answer: Many FAs think that F PAX are a bunch of divas and don't want to deal with them so seniority rules.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: CK or bust
TATL routes seem to have premium cabins very much dominated by senior FA bidding where they earn the DIVA sticker more than their PAX in the forward cabins.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by texmanufan
Many FAs think that F PAX are a bunch of divas and don't want to deal with them so seniority rules.

And now for the translation: Many FAs want to do a round of beverage service and then sit in the galley reading magazines for the rest of the flight.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by texmanufan
Twice since the merger I have flown in F where it was mentioned that the FA was working the F cabin on their very first flight. They received no help on one flight and little on the other. No real issues and other PAX were patient even though on one flight the service was painfully slow. These were domestic single aisle planes
The kind of service you mention is not uncommon from "very senior" FAs either.

I would definitely not make the correlation
Newbie FA = Bad/ slow service OR
Senior FA = Great Service.

So, the premise of that part of your post is wrong, IMO.

Now, as to the DIVA part...you are just stirring the pot here. Are F pax more DIVAs than Y pax? Pointless discussion, IMO.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by asf-07
And now for the translation: Many FAs want to do a round of beverage service and then sit in the galley reading magazines for the rest of the flight.
Correct. I've even seen this on an AA TPAC flight. The FA even actively dissuaded me from using the forward lav so as to not disturb her reading. Even though I did not ask her for anything.

She was perfectly content to have the other forward cabin FAs do all the service throughout the flight.
zarkov505 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Had a number of young FA's in F this past year - male & female. Always thought it odd to see older crew in Y. Two in particular stood out but generally better service from the newer FAs and always done with a smile. Made sure to let one of them know he was really good at this job already and I hope he sticks with it.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Transiting at DFW at a bar next to me were few ORD EAAgle FAs heading back to ORD after few days of training at their headquarter, they were wearing civilian clothes.

One conversation I had with them was that on domestic narrow bodies senior crews prefer working in Main Cabin, because I have witnessed more than few time very junior FA working in F.

They told me among colleague FAs they know number one reason for not wanting to work in F is because F FAs have to be standing by boarding door during boarding before the departure and de-boarding after the arrival. Especially with winter season coming, standing at boarding door expose to temperature from outside. These FA told me this is one of most commonly heard reason for not wanting to work in F among their colleagues.

I remember reading at ANA newly hired FAs only receive international economy service training and newly hired FAs work only in economy section. After a year or so of flight experience they receive notice for international first and business class training, after then they are allowed to work in F and J. I doubt any U.S. airlines have this kind of training procedure.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
I would agree with most of comments above. Earlier this year I had a DEN-DFW flight in F, a new FA was great, efficient and self-sufficient (basically working on his own at F). While I've seen multiple senior FA just serve-and-read.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Phones

AA FAs spend way more time on their phones than service. And that’s in F.

Now I understand how those mobile games like candy crush make so much money.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I don't know how it is now but in pmUS the seniormost FA could boot any junior FA from whatever position the senior FA wanted to work. This could be done right up until departure (regardless of which position the FAs had originally bid). I have a feeling many senior FA wake up in the morning and think "I don't feel like doing a meal service today".

On the flip side, most new FA would probably be eager to work F because it comes with extra pay (it's a $ amount per hour, not a %, so it is a comparatively bigger amount for those who are low on the salary scale).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Organizations in which seniority rules either:
1. Go bankrupt every 15 years or so, or
2. Are taxpayer funded, so service and efficiency are unknown (think northeast cities' school systems, public transportation, etc).

AA CEO recently stated that they would be profitable forever.
What he really meant was they will be profitable until LCCs get into the long range, trans-ocean business big time. Then it will be number 1 above.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I don't know how it is now but in pmUS the seniormost FA could boot any junior FA from whatever position the senior FA wanted to work. This could be done right up until departure (regardless of which position the FAs had originally bid). I have a feeling many senior FA wake up in the morning and think "I don't feel like doing a meal service today".

On the flip side, most new FA would probably be eager to work F because it comes with extra pay (it's a $ amount per hour, not a %, so it is a comparatively bigger amount for those who are low on the salary scale).
Was not aware there was increased pay for meal service but at least in these these two flights I speak of, service was nuts/snacks and drinks.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I remember reading at ANA newly hired FAs only receive international economy service training and newly hired FAs work only in economy section. After a year or so of flight experience they receive notice for international first and business class training, after then they are allowed to work in F and J. I doubt any U.S. airlines have this kind of training procedure.
Now just compare service on AA to ANA (or JL, CX). We're talking YMCA T-ball vs. Major League Baseball in respect to hard and soft product.

I got tired of spending money on flights where people were actively rude to me and other customers, so I began flying partners internationally for the most part. AA has some excellent senior FAs, but there's nothing in place to re-train/reprimand the bad apples. The bad apples, of course, can spoil the whole experience.
zarkov505 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
So I have a close family relative who is a FA and took the opportunity to ask why in the world would you assign trainees with your best or most loyal customers
For one thing they haven't aged out in looks. So they spill some hot coffee in your lap every now and then. At least the do it with a smile
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Transiting at DFW at a bar next to me were few ORD EAAgle FAs heading back to ORD after few days of training at their headquarter, they were wearing civilian clothes.

One conversation I had with them was that on domestic narrow bodies senior crews prefer working in Main Cabin, because I have witnessed more than few time very junior FA working in F.

They told me among colleague FAs they know number one reason for not wanting to work in F is because F FAs have to be standing by boarding door during boarding before the departure and de-boarding after the arrival. Especially with winter season coming, standing at boarding door expose to temperature from outside. These FA told me this is one of most commonly heard reason for not wanting to work in F among their colleagues.

SQ does something similar, but IIRC it requires three years of experience as a FA in coach plus good evaluations to be permitted to train to work in business class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.