Aa crew sharing their saliva with you

Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CRC, Delta Plat. Med.
Angry Aa crew sharing their saliva with you

RE:
Disgusting behavior of class crew member JACK on flight AA477 YVR-PHX on October 28:
BUSINESS CLASS

My husband and I are both Emerald members and fly extensively.
Never before did we observe such a behavior of a crew before.

We were seated in the first row (Business class)
we photographed a crew member named Jack picking with his un-gloved fingers through the entire batch of nuts destined for the
business cabin passengers.
He selected nuts he liked, popped them into his mouth, continued to probe with his fingers, selected more of the same, ate them, and continued for appr. 5 minutes through the entire batch until there were none of his favorite nuts left.
Then he covered the tray and placed it into the oven to warm up. Then he took nuts from that tray and placed them in the ceramic bowls
and served to unsuspecting passengers.
Later we innocently asked him what were his favorite nuts to which he replied PECANS..

On exit we attempted to point it to him that this is extremely unhygienic
He reddened in the face but he batted us away saying that he was going through the "batch of nuts meant for the crew" and that he would never do it to nuts meant for the passengers.

First of all, we SAW him place the contaminated aluminum tray with nuts into the oven and then divide the portions for the passengers
secondly, guess what, there were no pecans left in the nuts we received,
thirdly, I doubt that a 3 person crew would receive 2 pounds nuts to share for the flight.

It was the most disgusting behavior we have ever witnessed.
dangerous to boot - what if Jack has a hep C?
do your crew members spit into passenger food when nobody is looking?

I think someone needs to explain to JACK that this is a highly risky behavior
beside being uncivilized and inappropriate.

we have photo of Jack with an open tray of nuts poking through it but it does not show him sticking them into his mouth (his back was toward us).
My husband who is also emerald member witnessed it as well
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by arrow2fast
RE:
Disgusting behavior of class crew member JACK on flight AA477 YVR-PHX on October 28:
BUSINESS CLASS

My husband and I are both Emerald members and fly extensively.
Never before did we observe such a behavior of a crew before.

We were seated in the first row (Business class)
we photographed a crew member named Jack picking with his un-gloved fingers through the entire batch of nuts destined for the
business cabin passengers.
He selected nuts he liked, popped them into his mouth, continued to probe with his fingers, selected more of the same, ate them, and continued for appr. 5 minutes through the entire batch until there were none of his favorite nuts left.
Then he covered the tray and placed it into the oven to warm up. Then he took nuts from that tray and placed them in the ceramic bowls
and served to unsuspecting passengers.
Later we innocently asked him what were his favorite nuts to which he replied PECANS..

On exit we attempted to point it to him that this is extremely unhygienic
He reddened in the face but he batted us away saying that he was going through the "batch of nuts meant for the crew" and that he would never do it to nuts meant for the passengers.

First of all, we SAW him place the contaminated aluminum tray with nuts into the oven and then divide the portions for the passengers
secondly, guess what, there were no pecans left in the nuts we received,
thirdly, I doubt that a 3 person crew would receive 2 pounds nuts to share for the flight.

It was the most disgusting behavior we have ever witnessed.
dangerous to boot - what if Jack has a hep C?
do your crew members spit into passenger food when nobody is looking?

I think someone needs to explain to JACK that this is a highly risky behavior
beside being uncivilized and inappropriate.

we have photo of Jack with an open tray of nuts poking through it but it does not show him sticking them into his mouth (his back was toward us).
My husband who is also emerald member witnessed it as well
You both are emerald but what is your status with AA? That matters.

Report the sicko to AA and write him up. He deserves to get a box.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No wonder there aren't any pecans left in the nut mix.

It happens when people work without any active front-line supervision.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Wow, that is beyond disgusting. I hope you write to AA and I hope Jack has to look for a new job (preferably not not in the food service industry)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:01 am

I call BS. There is no way someone could see into the galley from bulkhead row 1, especially on a narrow-body. Unless maybe the OP is superman and has X-ray vision.

Last edited by lobo411; Nov 11, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by lobo411
I call BS. There is no way someone could see into the galley from bulkhead row 1, especially on a narrow-body. Unless maybe the OP is superman and has X-ray vision.
I’ve sat in row 1/row 3 (both bulkheads depending on aircraft) many times and if you are in the C seat (aisle) you can look up to the right and directly into part of the galley. If you were in the D/F seats of the bulkhead then yes, you would need to be Superman to see behind the wall in front of you and into the galley.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Totally inappropriate behavior. However, there's a reason salty snacks are served all over the world, including at millions of bars, where ungloved fingers touch 'em all the time: Because they're SALTY. Salt is a lovely germ killer.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yea if you're on a LUS Airbus in 1A/1C it feels as if you're basically sitting in the galley as you can see most of everything
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I don't get the saliva part. It's not like he was licking them and then replacing them back in the stock. If he picked them with his fingers and "popped them into his mouth" then his saliva would not have come in contact with the passengers' nuts.

I do think there is plenty to object to here. The FAs should not be eating the passengers' food before it's served. But this particular action doesn't make what was served any less hygenic. The FAs' hands are all over everything they serve. Plus the heating and the salt on the nuts would likely have taken care of anything he did pass onto the nuts.
josmul123 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
I don't get the saliva part. It's not like he was licking them and then replacing them back in the stock. If he picked them with his fingers and "popped them into his mouth" then his saliva would not have come in contact with the passengers' nuts.

I do think there is plenty to object to here. The FAs should not be eating the passengers' food before it's served. But this particular action doesn't make what was served any less hygenic. The FAs' hands are all over everything they serve. Plus the heating and the salt on the nuts would likely have taken care of anything he did pass onto the nuts.
What if she said that he "placed" them in his mouth - can you see the transfer of saliva then? I can. Disgusting.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
He was a fool for not pulling the galley curtain on the basis of what the eye does not see the heart does not grieve over. I wonder how many times he's done this and not got caught.

I strongly suspect that as with the non-serving of Pre-Departure Beverages, they will do nothing about it.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Salt is a lovely germ killer.
Originally Posted by Stripe
Plus the heating and the salt on the nuts would likely have taken care of anything he did pass onto the nuts.
This is what I love about Flyertalk - well informed microbiologists weighing in on issues like this one with profound expertise. Lolz.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
This is what I love about Flyertalk - well informed microbiologists weighing in on issues like this one with profound expertise. Lolz.
I'm amused by all the people who can't imagine eating nuts without sticking their fingers in their mouths
allset2travel and josmul123 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by lobo411
Not true. As someone else mentioned you can definitely get a full view of the galley especially in the aisle seat on some aircraft. On a flight a saw a quite crafty FA load up on mini's and sodas into his duffel bag.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:53 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
When I saw the thread title, I was expecting it to go in a far more positive and interesting direction. It did not.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.