Wiki Posts
Search

Aa crew sharing their saliva with you

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CRC, Delta Plat. Med.
Originally Posted by Stripe
I don't get the saliva part. It's not like he was licking them and then replacing them back in the stock. If he picked them with his fingers and "popped them into his mouth" then his saliva would not have come in contact with the passengers' nuts.

I do think there is plenty to object to here. The FAs should not be eating the passengers' food before it's served. But this particular action doesn't make what was served any less hygenic. The FAs' hands are all over everything they serve. Plus the heating and the salt on the nuts would likely have taken care of anything he did pass onto the nuts.
actually, when serving food, they are wearing these plastic gloves.
So no - normally their fingers do not fondle our food
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by arrow2fast
actually, when serving food, they are wearing these plastic gloves.
So no - normally their fingers do not fondle our food
Who wears plastic gloves? The FAs in the galley? I've never seen that. I have never seen hairnets either, which are standard in food service work. There are myriad ways germs can get passed around an airline cabin, both around the food and elsewhere. I just don't see this particular incident as adding much to the danger already there. As I said above, an FA picking through and eating the passenger's food before it's served is objectionable on many levels and worthy of a complaint to AA. I just don't think the sanitary aspect (or should I say the "salivary" aspect) is the worst, especially in the case of heated and salted nuts.

The only time I ever see plastic gloves on the FAs' hands are when they are collecting garbage into a bag in Y.

Last edited by Stripe; Nov 12, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
we have a PHOTO.
And when you shared that with AA, what did they say?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tom911
And when you shared that with AA, what did they say?
Probably that they don't care and pax are lucky to be getting free nuts from them anyway
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
RE:
Disgusting behavior of class crew member JACK on flight AA477 YVR-PHX on October 28:
Disgusting. I hope you used the "Contact Us" link on the AA web site to send a note to Customer Relations. Be sure to mention you have a photo.

The FAs' hands are all over everything they serve.
FAs are usually serving food, not preparing it. Even when they plate items, they usually use utensils.

Plus the heating and the salt on the nuts would likely have taken care of anything he did pass onto the nuts.
That would be true if nuts were being cooked to a high enough internal temperature, but they are not. They are just being warmed up.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:14 am

My husband and I are both Emerald members and fly extensively.
Yawn.

we photographed a crew member named Jack
While his behavior may have been inappropriate, taking pictures of a crew member without permission is against airline policy.

do your crew members spit into passenger food when nobody is looking?

Eating nuts out of the tin and spitting into the tin would be two completely different behaviors.

My husband who is also emerald member witnessed it as well
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
As a career microbiologist (with plenty of fancy, over-priced degrees), I approve this thread.

A few caveats, however.

If virus transmission is a concern, the salt has a minimal effect. There are also plenty of organisms (spores) and salinophiles (salt-lovers) that can survive the salt. There's not enough salt to act as a preservation method, it's more for the flavor.

There's also not enough heat exposure to have a major effect on the bioburden. There's also not a single layer or sufficient dispersion of heat to ensure every nut gets the same heat exposure.

Most important (then I'm done with my soapbox), I really, really like Pecans and I demand retribution for the OP just on that basis, alone!

Ironically, I wonder if people assume the pillows, blankets and seat backs are steam-cleaned between passenger contact periods. The air jets aren't sterile either!
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
While his behavior may have been inappropriate, taking pictures of a crew member without permission is against airline policy.
Curious if this policy is in place simply to protect crew members from being photographed doing things against policy themselves.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Curious if this policy is in place simply to protect crew members from being photographed doing things against policy themselves.
If an employee is doing something wrong, it's quite easy to identify them without a photo. Flight #, service cabin they're working, name tag, etc. provides more than enough info to the airline to find them. Personally, I don't think anyone should be subjected to have their picture taken without permission. You don't often see it in any industry other than aviation, and I don't know why that is.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:16 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by tom911
Did AA indicate they would talk to Jack after you complained about this incident from 14 days ago? You did complain to AA, didn't you?
What is the statute of limitations on complaining? I often complain up to 60 days after an incident and think that is reasonable.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Chewie
As a career microbiologist (with plenty of fancy, over-priced degrees), I approve this thread.

A few caveats, however.

If virus transmission is a concern, the salt has a minimal effect. There are also plenty of organisms (spores) and salinophiles (salt-lovers) that can survive the salt. There's not enough salt to act as a preservation method, it's more for the flavor.

There's also not enough heat exposure to have a major effect on the bioburden. There's also not a single layer or sufficient dispersion of heat to ensure every nut gets the same heat exposure.

Most important (then I'm done with my soapbox), I really, really like Pecans and I demand retribution for the OP just on that basis, alone!
Thanks for a terrific post! ^

Originally Posted by Chewie
Ironically, I wonder if people assume the pillows, blankets and seat backs are steam-cleaned between passenger contact periods. The air jets aren't sterile either!
Nothing ironic about it. On some flights, the pillows and/or blankets are washed and wrapped in plastic, but on many they are not. People blow their nose into the blankets, sneeze into the pillows and blankets, wipe their feet on the blankets, prop up their shoes with the pillows, etc. Sick people sneeze into their hands and then adjust the air vent, use the IFE controls, adjust the seat, open the bins and lavatory door, etc. I wipe touch surfaces (including seat belts) with Super Sani-Cloth hospital-grade disinfecting wipes, and use a tissue to open and close the lavatory door. I also wipe touch surfaces in hotel rooms.

I understand there are no guarantees. A FA may wash his or her hands before serving, but pick up the dirty dishes and utensils of a sick passenger before bringing me my meal. The wipes help improve the odds.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
What is the statute of limitations on complaining? I often complain up to 60 days after an incident and think that is reasonable.
I'd probably have forgotten about the fact my mixed nuts were missing pecans about 10 minutes after I finished them, nevermind 60 days from then.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
why would my status with AA matter?
if I am a nobody, it is OK for the guy to fondle the nuts?
LOL, and this is why you shouldn't read FT in a meeting.

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
If an employee is doing something wrong, it's quite easy to identify them without a photo. Flight #, service cabin they're working, name tag, etc. provides more than enough info to the airline to find them. Personally, I don't think anyone should be subjected to have their picture taken without permission. You don't often see it in any industry other than aviation, and I don't know why that is.
wow are you being intentionally obtuse or do you actually believe that claptrap? So you can identify them, they will deny everything, say there's no proof and the complaint gets round filed. And you really want to contend that outside aviation no other employees end up being photographed or recorded when customers think they are doing wrong....thats just embarrassing.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I’m not going to comment on this alleged incident, but will point out that Hepatitis C is NOT transmitted in the manner you describe, whatsoever.

Hepatitis A would be more likely transmitted as a result of insanitary food preparation. People should be immunized against A (and possibly also B). C is now curable.

This kind of ignorance is dangerous.
Isn't the poster likely to be MORE careful if he (mistakenly) believes it can be transmitted more easily than it actually can be?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:02 pm

they are not HEATED, nor roasted.
they are just warmed over.
What is the distinction between "heated" and "warmed over"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.