Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far is it from PHX-DEN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
How far is it from PHX-DEN?

EQMs for a flight I took yesterday from PHX-DEN just posted and I was credited for 588 EQM.

According to Great Circle Mapper, PHX-DEN is 602 miles.

Which is correct? If GCM is correct and AA is incorrect, is this something that AA Customer Service can correct? This is a route I will be taking from time to time, so several instances of those 14 EQMs could add up.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by lbbzman
EQMs for a flight I took yesterday from PHX-DEN just posted and I was credited for 588 EQM.

Which is correct? If GCM is correct and AA is incorrect, is this something that AA Customer Service can correct? This is a route I will be taking from time to time, so several instances of those 14 EQMs could add up.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Flight number?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't think the OP will get very far in his quest.

American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
In terms of physical mileage, GCM is correct. Credited mileage on flights to/from DEN has long shown small discrepancies because AA still uses the location of the old Stapleton field.

That said, in terms of the mileage you earn, the number on AA's books is the final authority.

Last edited by rjw242; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:57 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Why don't you do a dummy booking on AA.com and see what the AAdvantage earnings would be?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
In terms of physical mileage, GCM is correct. Credited mileage on flights to/from DEN has long shown small discrepancies because AA still uses the location of the old Stapleton field.

That said, in terms of the mileage you earn, the number on AA's books is the final authority.
Exactly what I think too... and did you know that GCMAP has the distances for the old/closed airports too!!!

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=phx-den.old
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by neo_781
Exactly what I think too... and did you know that GCMAP has the distances for the old/closed airports too!!!

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=phx-den.old
Very interesting! I wonder how often airlines update their airports.

From what I can tell, it looks like AA is also using the, "old," Austin airport in their calculations (Robert Mueller) and not Bergstrom (what was Bergstrom AFB). But in this case, for PHX-AUS, the difference is only a few miles. Even for DFW-AUS, it is 6 miles.

I guess I figure that since I live here, depending where I'm going, there may be some cases when I get a few miles less, and some cases where I'll get a few more. So it should all even out in the end.
deeruck likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
Very interesting! I wonder how often airlines update their airports.

From what I can tell, it looks like AA is also using the, "old," Austin airport in their calculations (Robert Mueller) and not Bergstrom (what was Bergstrom AFB). But in this case, for PHX-AUS, the difference is only a few miles. Even for DFW-AUS, it is 6 miles.

I guess I figure that since I live here, depending where I'm going, there may be some cases when I get a few miles less, and some cases where I'll get a few more. So it should all even out in the end.
I don't think they probably update very often. Its probably the type of data they consider pretty static.

I do recall that when UA and CO merged there was a major uproar because they adopted all the distances in SHARES which in some cases "dramatically" different. After some feedback on FT (to put it midly) they ended up adopting the old UA values (or maybe they took the longer of the two-- I forget exactly).

So it can happen but that was probably a big exception one.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
This is a route I will be taking from time to time, so several instances of those 14 EQMs could add up.
Curious - how many is "several" that you think this would be meaningful and worth the effort?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CPRich
Curious - how many is "several" that you think this would be meaningful and worth the effort?
He'll get back to you next November if he's 200 EQM short of Platinum.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't think the OP will get very far in his quest.

American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp
Great point.

And after thinking about it for a bit, even if OP was flying back and forth every day for a year, the difference would only amount to about 10k EQM... Hardly worth mentioning.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

Cheers,
LBBZman
Originally Posted by rjw242

Yep - as a DEN-based AA flyer this is part of the deal. And note that while it's to the flyer's disadvantage on DEN-PHX, it's "bank error in your favor" on other routes. For example:

DEN-PHL: GC Mapper distance: 1558 miles
DEN-PHL: EQM credited on my flight a few weeks ago: 1569

+ 11

DEN-CLT: GC Mapper distance: 1338 miles
DEN-CLT: EQM credited on my flight a few weeks ago: 1348

+ 10
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kb9522
Great point.

And after thinking about it for a bit, even if OP was flying back and forth every day for a year, the difference would only amount to about 10k EQM... Hardly worth mentioning.
back when I was flying UA, and pre elite qualifying dollars, I made 1K one year by a margin of 8 EQM (or something like that).

So it can very much matter.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPRich
That was my thought.

The 14 miles would only matter if the OP did PHX-DEX roundtrips 41 times... this discrepancy would result in having to take 1 more round trip
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bse118
back when I was flying UA, and pre elite qualifying dollars, I made 1K one year by a margin of 8 EQM (or something like that).

So it can very much matter.
Sure, but if you were 8 miles SHORT, you'd probably catch a cheap flight somewhere or tack on a stopover right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.