How far is it from PHX-DEN?

Reply

Old Nov 10, 17, 11:43 am
  #16
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Sure, but if you were 8 miles SHORT, you'd probably catch a cheap flight somewhere or tack on a stopover right?
Maybe, maybe not. And I am person who tracks my EQMs closely - think about the non-FTer population who just flies what they need to fly and doesn't pay detailed or any attention to qualification (there was another thread going on that recently)...


Either way, the point is that these discrepancies, even with their small magnitudes can be significant/meaningful.

Last edited by bse118; Nov 10, 17 at 11:44 am Reason: typos
bse118 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 17, 11:56 am
  #17
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: HOU
Programs: AA EXP | SPG Plat | Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,500
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. And I am person who tracks my EQMs closely - think about the non-FTer population who just flies what they need to fly and doesn't pay detailed or any attention to qualification (there was another thread going on that recently)...


Either way, the point is that these discrepancies, even with their small magnitudes can be significant/meaningful.
I guess.... I would say that the average person wouldn't be analyzing the difference between AA and gcmap either though.

Miles earned are what they are? At least that's my take on it.
C17PSGR likes this.
Antarius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 17, 4:07 pm
  #18
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; MR Plat Prm; SPG P100; Hertz PC; National EE; AXP Plat; Disney Premier Passport
Posts: 671
OP here. Thanks for the reference to AA's calculation as final and the callout that it can work in your favor if going east or northeast ex-DEN.

Cheers,
LBBZman
lbbzman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 8:59 am
  #19
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 17,947
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Very interesting! I wonder how often airlines update their airports.
In AA's case, apparently no more often than every 25 years.
DenverBrian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 2:31 am
  #20
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago / Hong Kong
Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; DL Platinum; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 108
This topic reminds me of a discrepancy that Iíve been wondering for a long time.
I understand that AA is the final authority to determine distances; however I found it intriguing that itís not even consistent with itself on the exact same route.
According to my account activity:
AA193/192 LAX-HKG: 7260 miles as of Oct 17;
vs CX880 HKG-LAX: 7247 miles as of Sep 17.
AA8921 (CX metal) HKG-ORD: 7793 miles as of Sep 17;
vs CX807 ORD-HKG: 7787 miles as of Sep 17.
The trivial difference doesnít bother me of course, but could it be an indication that AA applies double standards to AA and partner flights?
UltraSean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 5:37 am
  #21
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Programs: AA, CX, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 536
Originally Posted by UltraSean View Post
This topic reminds me of a discrepancy that I’ve been wondering for a long time.
I understand that AA is the final authority to determine distances; however I found it intriguing that it’s not even consistent with itself on the exact same route.
According to my account activity:
AA193/192 LAX-HKG: 7260 miles as of Oct 17;
vs CX880 HKG-LAX: 7247 miles as of Sep 17.
AA8921 (CX metal) HKG-ORD: 7793 miles as of Sep 17;
vs CX807 ORD-HKG: 7787 miles as of Sep 17.
The trivial difference doesn’t bother me of course, but could it be an indication that AA applies double standards to AA and partner flights?
That's because AA updated the miles around Oct 17. Similar posts available here already.
andersonCooper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 8:16 am
  #22
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,123
I just noticed this too. I'm just barely going to qualify for plat this year so every EQM counts for me and I have it all planned out. I just did a PHX-DEN round trip and something looked off. Fortunately, I have about a 40 EQM buffer.

Now, even if I'm not using stickers to upgrade, I look at the upgrade area of the website for my domestic flights because it shows the distance in the place where it says how many 500-mile stickers you need.
lkar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 11:39 am
  #23
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AA, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
I just noticed this too. I'm just barely going to qualify for plat this year so every EQM counts for me and I have it all planned out. I just did a PHX-DEN round trip and something looked off. Fortunately, I have about a 40 EQM buffer.

Now, even if I'm not using stickers to upgrade, I look at the upgrade area of the website for my domestic flights because it shows the distance in the place where it says how many 500-mile stickers you need.
How much is your buy up offer if you're that close?
kb9522 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 12:07 pm
  #24
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,123
Originally Posted by kb9522 View Post
How much is your buy up offer if you're that close?
I'm currently 3,300 EQM away, but I have enough travel to just get over the 50k mark before December 31. My buy up offer is currently $795.
lkar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 1:15 pm
  #25
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 20,569
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
back when I was flying UA, and pre elite qualifying dollars, I made 1K one year by a margin of 8 EQM (or something like that).

So it can very much matter.
The questions isn't whether it matters, it's the path of least resistance - a mileage run or trying to convince AA to change miles on a flight.

I'm going with the former.
CPRich is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 10:46 pm
  #26
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
The questions isn't whether it matters, it's the path of least resistance - a mileage run or trying to convince AA to change miles on a flight.

I'm going with the former.
Again: that's if you are even paying attention to your EQMs. Mileage runs are largely an FT/blogosphere thing. Most people don't obsess about this stuff at the level we do here.

I'm not trying to argue that's it worth calling AA to get them to change/correct things (it's patently a waste of time). And as I pointed out upthread - this cuts both ways, sometimes it's in the flyer's favor.

All I was saying is that "oh it's only 14 miles, it's not significant" - is not necessarily true.
bse118 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 17, 6:20 am
  #27
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
Posts: 164
I'm with you but on the EQD thing in my case. A few times I've been put on United planes and have fought to get those EQD and segments applied to my AA account because it did matter. I qualified EXP with 12005 EQD and 122 EQS.

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
All I was saying is that "oh it's only 14 miles, it's not significant" - is not necessarily true.
50ae is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 17, 6:39 am
  #28
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Programs: AA, CX, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 536
Originally Posted by 50ae View Post
I'm with you but on the EQD thing in my case. A few times I've been put on United planes and have fought to get those EQD and segments applied to my AA account because it did matter. I qualified EXP with 12005 EQD and 122 EQS.
Assuming you are under IRROPS and got put on UA. I don't believe it is even close to OP's scenario. Given you are segment-based, say each EWR-CLT is around 90 minutes and 600 miles, which will take care of at least 43 segments of OP's "miles differences" and 65 hours of flight time... EQD works the same.

So indeed it's small difference.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Nov 14, 17 at 8:12 am
andersonCooper is online now  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:37 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.