Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far is it from PHX-DEN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
Sure, but if you were 8 miles SHORT, you'd probably catch a cheap flight somewhere or tack on a stopover right?
Maybe, maybe not. And I am person who tracks my EQMs closely - think about the non-FTer population who just flies what they need to fly and doesn't pay detailed or any attention to qualification (there was another thread going on that recently)...

Either way, the point is that these discrepancies, even with their small magnitudes can be significant/meaningful.

Last edited by bse118; Nov 10, 2017 at 10:44 am Reason: typos
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bse118
Maybe, maybe not. And I am person who tracks my EQMs closely - think about the non-FTer population who just flies what they need to fly and doesn't pay detailed or any attention to qualification (there was another thread going on that recently)...

Either way, the point is that these discrepancies, even with their small magnitudes can be significant/meaningful.
I guess.... I would say that the average person wouldn't be analyzing the difference between AA and gcmap either though.

Miles earned are what they are? At least that's my take on it.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
OP here. Thanks for the reference to AA's calculation as final and the callout that it can work in your favor if going east or northeast ex-DEN.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by aztimm
Very interesting! I wonder how often airlines update their airports.
In AA's case, apparently no more often than every 25 years.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
This topic reminds me of a discrepancy that I’ve been wondering for a long time.
I understand that AA is the final authority to determine distances; however I found it intriguing that it’s not even consistent with itself on the exact same route.
According to my account activity:
AA193/192 LAX-HKG: 7260 miles as of Oct 17;
vs CX880 HKG-LAX: 7247 miles as of Sep 17.
AA8921 (CX metal) HKG-ORD: 7793 miles as of Sep 17;
vs CX807 ORD-HKG: 7787 miles as of Sep 17.
The trivial difference doesn’t bother me of course, but could it be an indication that AA applies double standards to AA and partner flights?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by UltraSean
This topic reminds me of a discrepancy that I’ve been wondering for a long time.
I understand that AA is the final authority to determine distances; however I found it intriguing that it’s not even consistent with itself on the exact same route.
According to my account activity:
AA193/192 LAX-HKG: 7260 miles as of Oct 17;
vs CX880 HKG-LAX: 7247 miles as of Sep 17.
AA8921 (CX metal) HKG-ORD: 7793 miles as of Sep 17;
vs CX807 ORD-HKG: 7787 miles as of Sep 17.
The trivial difference doesn’t bother me of course, but could it be an indication that AA applies double standards to AA and partner flights?
That's because AA updated the miles around Oct 17. Similar posts available here already.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:16 am

I just noticed this too. I'm just barely going to qualify for plat this year so every EQM counts for me and I have it all planned out. I just did a PHX-DEN round trip and something looked off. Fortunately, I have about a 40 EQM buffer.

Now, even if I'm not using stickers to upgrade, I look at the upgrade area of the website for my domestic flights because it shows the distance in the place where it says how many 500-mile stickers you need.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by lkar
I just noticed this too. I'm just barely going to qualify for plat this year so every EQM counts for me and I have it all planned out. I just did a PHX-DEN round trip and something looked off. Fortunately, I have about a 40 EQM buffer.

Now, even if I'm not using stickers to upgrade, I look at the upgrade area of the website for my domestic flights because it shows the distance in the place where it says how many 500-mile stickers you need.
How much is your buy up offer if you're that close?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
How much is your buy up offer if you're that close?
I'm currently 3,300 EQM away, but I have enough travel to just get over the 50k mark before December 31. My buy up offer is currently $795.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
back when I was flying UA, and pre elite qualifying dollars, I made 1K one year by a margin of 8 EQM (or something like that).

So it can very much matter.
The questions isn't whether it matters, it's the path of least resistance - a mileage run or trying to convince AA to change miles on a flight.

I'm going with the former.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
The questions isn't whether it matters, it's the path of least resistance - a mileage run or trying to convince AA to change miles on a flight.

I'm going with the former.
Again: that's if you are even paying attention to your EQMs. Mileage runs are largely an FT/blogosphere thing. Most people don't obsess about this stuff at the level we do here.

I'm not trying to argue that's it worth calling AA to get them to change/correct things (it's patently a waste of time). And as I pointed out upthread - this cuts both ways, sometimes it's in the flyer's favor.

All I was saying is that "oh it's only 14 miles, it's not significant" - is not necessarily true.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
I'm with you but on the EQD thing in my case. A few times I've been put on United planes and have fought to get those EQD and segments applied to my AA account because it did matter. I qualified EXP with 12005 EQD and 122 EQS.

All I was saying is that "oh it's only 14 miles, it's not significant" - is not necessarily true.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by 50ae
I'm with you but on the EQD thing in my case. A few times I've been put on United planes and have fought to get those EQD and segments applied to my AA account because it did matter. I qualified EXP with 12005 EQD and 122 EQS.
Assuming you are under IRROPS and got put on UA. I don't believe it is even close to OP's scenario. Given you are segment-based, say each EWR-CLT is around 90 minutes and 600 miles, which will take care of at least 43 segments of OP's "miles differences" and 65 hours of flight time... EQD works the same.

So indeed it's small difference.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.