Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page > Seriously? No food on a 9 hr. flight? AA 42 ORD to VCE

Seriously? No food on a 9 hr. flight? AA 42 ORD to VCE

Closed Thread

Old Nov 8, 17, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA, Continental, Starwood, Hyatt, HAL, Princess, RCI and Carnival
Unhappy Seriously? No food on a 9 hr. flight? AA 42 ORD to VCE

Okay, so I know it's an overnight flight, but seriously, only drinks are offered on a 8 hr. 55 minute flight? It's AA 42 ORD 7:05pm to VCE 11:00am. Will they be offering a snack or light breakfast at least?

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, National Executive Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lady Jag View Post
Okay, so I know it's an overnight flight, but seriously, only drinks are offered on a 8 hr. 55 minute flight? It's AA 42 ORD 7:05pm to VCE 11:00am. Will they be offering a snack or light breakfast at least?

Thanks for the help!
why would you think this is a beverage only flight? lol

Of course there is a dinner meal and light snack/breakfast.
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
why would you think this is a beverage only flight? lol

Of course there is a dinner meal and light snack/breakfast.
I checked the flight on the AA site, and under flight details it says:

Meals: Beverage service
Booking code: Y
Class: Economy
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:35 pm

I forgot to say it's in I - BUSINESS CLASS.

Even for business class, that's where I came up with "beverage service" only. It's right from AA's website. From past experience though, it just doesn't sound right and I trust the information here more than their website. If I call them, the agent will just read what's on her screen "beverage service", so no help there either.
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, National Executive Elite, Hilton Diamond
has to be an IT glitch and nothing more

Last edited by enviroian; Nov 8, 17 at 1:51 pm Reason: used proper word
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Lady Jag View Post
I forgot to say it's in I - BUSINESS CLASS.

Even for business class, that's where I came up with "beverage service" only. It's right from AA's website. From past experience though, it just doesn't sound right and I trust the information here more than their website. If I call them, the agent will just read what's on her screen "beverage service", so no help there either.
This is probably a glitch or the schedule hasn't been properly updated as it's a seasonal route that won't go into effect until May of next year.

There are NO transatlantic flights that do not have a main meal and secondary light meal in either Y or J on AA

If you're in BA on Y your second meal may be a piece of chocolate from the snack basket especially if on a flight to a non west coast or non JFK destination. Apparently that "enhancement" will be scaled back a bit based on negative feedback per news this week
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, 1.91mm, Delta Lifetime Platinum, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Hilton
Possible solutions

JUST IN CASE:

1. ORD has a kazillion food options, as well as to go, in the H and K terminals, as well as right after security. Knock oneself out!

2. If one is in J, and has no pride, one could either stuff one's face to the point of explosion, AND/OR put together a gigantic doggie bag from the Flagship Lounge that will cover one for 9 hours. I'm sure no one will judge, so knock oneself out!

3. Suck it up! Go hungry-millions do each day. Rumor has it there is food in VCE and the surrounding area. Best of luck in that search. Knock oneself out!

Sincerely wishing one a great flight!

Last edited by Dallas49er; Nov 8, 17 at 3:22 pm
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
JUST IN CASE:

1. ORD has a kazillion food options, as well as to go, in the H and K terminals, as well as right after security. Knock oneself out!

2. If one is in J, and has no pride, one could either stuff one's face to the point of explosion, or put together a gigantic doggie bag from the Flagship Lounge that will cover one for 9 hours. I'm sure no one will judge, so knock oneself out!

3. Suck it up! Go hungry-millions do each day. Rumor has it there is food in VCE and the surrounding area. Best of luck in that search. Knock oneself out!

Sincerely wishing one a great flight!
heh ... must be yet another day on FT! Agree with you though - I'd much rather chow down a torta... or even Reggio's (!) than just about anything LCC serves these days.
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lds89 View Post
There are NO transatlantic flights that do not have a main meal and secondary light meal in either Y or J on AA
There have been some recently out of LAX:
AA Halts Use of L.A. Gate Gourmet Catering Due to Listeria Outbreak 1 Nov 2017
(Most of the reports there are about transpacific flights with no meals, but there were some reports of LAX-LHR with no meals.)

But of course, that was due to an emergency, and was not planned. And that emergency was localized to LAX (except of course it also affected domestic double-catered flights returning to LAX).

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 8, 17 at 2:31 pm
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, 1.91mm, Delta Lifetime Platinum, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Hilton
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
heh ... must be yet another day on FT! Agree with you though - I'd much rather chow down a torta... or even Reggio's (!) than just about anything LCC serves these days.
... or AA J. I don't fly for the food, I fly TO the food. Airline "food" is a concept (except CX F).

Funny to see PAX whine about "food" they wouldn't order/accept/eat in a non flying environment.

"I am in F, and just because there is Lysteria (https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/index.html) in the kitchen, what's the deal?
Old Nov 8, 17, 4:56 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I figured a meal and a snack were more like the common policy. Appreciate the help.
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:44 pm

It will be dinner with several entree options and typically one or two hot/cold breakfast options on eastbound TATL flights! If you really want to know what the would look like, you can take a look at the meal options for an ORD-FCO flight within 30 days as it's likely to be quite close.
Old Nov 8, 17, 6:05 pm

And if you are inside of 30 days ...

... They give you a choice!
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
... or AA J. I don't fly for the food, I fly TO the food. Airline "food" is a concept (except CX F).

Funny to see PAX whine about "food" they wouldn't order/accept/eat in a non flying environment.

"I am in F, and just because there is Lysteria (https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/index.html) in the kitchen, what's the deal?
I don't really LOVE airline food, but I look forward to anything that breaks up the boredom of a long flight.
rafkeduck likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jane42 View Post
I don't really LOVE airline food, but I look forward to anything that breaks up the boredom of a long flight.
Plus you need something to soak up the booze
Michael El, Jane42 and AStarr like this.

Search this Thread