Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy (PE) wasn't available at booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy (PE) wasn't available at booking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold MillionMiler
Originally Posted by Andriyko
AA does offer PE fares from SKB to GVA, however, you'll be seated in economy on all segments where there is no PE cabin. You can't upgrade just one segment (you will break the fare and it will be too expensive). You need to ask AA to recalculate either the outbound or the inbound (or both) in PE. I believe you will only be able to upgrade one segment at the airport otherwise.

The cheapest return PE fare is about US$ 400 more expensive than the cheapest economy fare (so, about US$ 200 per direction + change fees).
Well I called AA back and got a nice agent who realized that the upfare to PE needed to be done manually cause the system was only letting her do all 3 return legs in business.

After a lengthy hold she told me that since the trans-atlantic outbound flight (why that is relevant in anyway I still can't get my head around) is on Iberia and because that particular flight doesnt have PE, she couldn't match my return trans-atlantic leg to a PE fare. This all seems a bit strang to me as I only want the return trans-atlantic leg to be in PE.

I guess I wil try giving them a call again to see if we can dig a little bit more
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by doubleAAdude

After a lengthy hold she told me that since the trans-atlantic outbound flight (why that is relevant in anyway I still can't get my head around) is on Iberia and because that particular flight doesnt have PE, she couldn't match my return trans-atlantic leg to a PE fare. This all seems a bit strang to me as I only want the return trans-atlantic leg to be in PE.
If you post your existing itinerary it is possible to take a deeper look into what's going on there and why you can't upgrade the return to PE.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doubleAAdude
Well I called AA back and got a nice agent who realized that the upfare to PE needed to be done manually cause the system was only letting her do all 3 return legs in business.

It's possible that the outbound trip is an IB Coach fare that is not able to be combined with an AA PE fare on a half round-trip basis. International caring is quite complicated.

I think you'd have a good chance of being able to do the update after you fly the outbound (not that this *should* be the case). And likely they'll be able to use the "historical" fare available at the original booking date.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold MillionMiler
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's possible that the outbound trip is an IB Coach fare that is not able to be combined with an AA PE fare on a half round-trip basis. International caring is quite complicated.

I think you'd have a good chance of being able to do the update after you fly the outbound (not that this *should* be the case). And likely they'll be able to use the "historical" fare available at the original booking date.
Thanks a lot!!

It seems like this is the case and I'll give it a try!!

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.