Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do you sometimes hope for a service failure to get comp miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
No.

Regards
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: LH HON
Frankly speaking I'm very happy if I'm on a flight where everything (or almost) is going as planned. It's getting rare these days. Submitting feedback afterwards doesn't feel like there is going to be improvement - instead you'll be thrown 5k or 10k miles to shut the hell up. By now I'm sure they're not even reading the feedback comments anymore, no matter how good you've summarized them.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kb9522
That's actually pretty good. Has it improved baggage delivery times or just the number of miles in your account?
Mostly miles in the account-my successful claims are typically for later evening flights into VPS, and in the 22-23 minutes after the door opens time frame. It’s a small station so it’s hard to make bag delivery so late to make passengers too annoyed over it and someone at Virginia Avenue who runs such reports has probably found its cheaper for the airline to give out service recovery miles on request than to add evening hours ramp staffing that will bring median bag delivery time from, say the current typical 17.5 minutes to 15 minutes (or whatever the metrics are)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GIGMIACDG
Every flight from Europe i hope it get delayed or canceled for EU261 and another day in Europe
^ I got 24 unexpected hours in Paris, fully paid for by Air France, plus the €600, due to a missed connection. It was awful!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
No.

On occasion, I have hoped that they ask for volunteers to give up their seat for a $ voucher.

HOWEVER, when the opportunity came up, I so wanted to go home after a work trip, see my family, etc, that I just passed. The offer kept going up and up but, no thanks, I want to be home already.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:47 am

No. Comp is so unpredictable that I'd prefer things just go as planned.

Times when it is a minor annoyance that I don't care about and didn't pursue it, I have received miles.

Times when it is egregious and I come close to changing programs on the spot, I've gotten a canned apology.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes.. if lax catering mess lands us 4x100 certs on upcoming midcon as some report - ya sure... i havent had any complaint initiated comp in 3 or 4 yrs...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Is this anything like hoping to get hit by a car so you can sue and get a fat settlement?
Kind of like Dao....get bloodied nose, pulled off a plane = $millions

Yeah, I'd take that anyday.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Nah. I'd rather have things go well. I have had two broken seats on flights this year, so I did contact AA about those mainly to alert them to the maintenance/safety issue. I received miles as compensation both times, but I never asked for any compensation.

I'd prefer to have a fully functional seat over 10k-15k extra miles, but the gesture is appreciated nonetheless.

That said, I certainly wouldn't complain about something like a bad meal, no PDB, etc.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I will say that if I have nowhere to be, I do hope for an oversell/VDB. Once on the flight, I prefer it to be as straightforward as possible.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
No, because in 15 years of flying AA, I've only gotten compensation once.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I don't hope for it, necessarily (I would prefer to get to my destination on time, without screaming children on the flight and so on) but if there is a problem, delay, horrible service, etc, it does help me deal with it mentally/psychologically by reminding myself that I can get compensation in the form of miles for it. I don't complain too often (maybe once a year an issue comes up that I think warrants actually sending in a form) but when I do I'm happy to get the extra miles. I also recall a couple years ago I used to send in "compliment" forms to thank outstanding flight attendants; I wasn't expecting miles, but just wanted to commend excellent service, and got about 4K "goodwill" miles anyway.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I got 15,000 miles for a 15 hour delayed flight last week. I didn't ask either it was just sent to me.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Antarius
I will say that if I have nowhere to be, I do hope for an oversell/VDB. Once on the flight, I prefer it to be as straightforward as possible.
I'm curious... Where does one fly, when one actually has nowhere to be?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Not at all. My trips are too valuable to me (in terms of PTO and the fact I buy J fares) to want to lose any aspect of the experience in exchange for miles.

That said, when BA caused a misconnect in SJC, the €600/person EU261 compensation did help soften the blow of needing to use one of my preciously low vacation days for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.