ORD “Shuttle” “coming soon”?

Old Nov 4, 17, 8:15 am
dw
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
ORD “Shuttle” “coming soon”?

There’s a reference in this month’s American Way to the Shuttle coming to ORD “soon”, although no details on whether it’ll be the LGA or DCA flights or both. Practically, I don’t really see how this will be more than just a change in marketing those flights. But perhaps now that DL is vacating the MAT at LGA and will be losing one of the distinguishing factors for their LGA-ORD “Shuttle”, AA decided they might as well brand their flights similarly.

Though I wonder if this means they’ll comp wine and beer in the back.
Old Nov 4, 17, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
There already is a shuttle between ORD and LGA it seems practically, there is a 738 schedule every hour. I flew one of the flights last Sunday and it wasn't til then I realized how many ORD-LGA flights they have. They are basically already almost there, so making it a true shuttle flight shouldn't be too hard.
Old Nov 4, 17, 9:09 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Looks like they just try to mimic what DL is already doing: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...a-shuttle.html

Honestly (before checkking delta.com), I would not think that there is still an airline that still offers everyone complimentary wine/beer/spirits on select US domestic flights

PS. Spirits only offered complimentary only on DL Pacific shuttle...
Old Nov 10, 17, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by SpinOn2 View Post
There already is a shuttle between ORD and LGA it seems practically, there is a 738 schedule every hour.
More than that at some times of day - there's a 6 am ORD-LGA and a 6:30 am ORD-LGA.
Old Nov 10, 17, 6:46 pm

Counted 22 daily flights to NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR) on a Monday in December. United has even more - 26.
Old Nov 10, 17, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta, Amtrak
They could do something like putting a dedicated check in area and have all flights go out of gate K1 or K2 right next to the security entrance.
Old Nov 10, 17, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer View Post
They could do something like putting a dedicated check in area and have all flights go out of gate K1 or K2 right next to the security entrance.
Agreed....so many of my flights back to LGA depart from like K99 (exaggerating obviously).
Old Nov 10, 17, 8:07 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I've never really understood the economics of this route. It's a business traveler heavy route and every day, no matter if you want to fly tomorrow or 3 months from now, the fares are all sub $200. I'm in finance and have customers in NYC and every time I've flown there in the last 2 years coach has been around $150 r/t. My company is pretty lax about airfare so I can buy first class. My last 4 trips have been $500 and under. All of these were a few weeks out.

I get their is a TON of supply and an almost equal amount of demand. But at some point wouldn't they be smarter to dump a few frequencies and raise prices (and also move those extra aircraft to other routes that are getting more than $150r/t)?

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on this route and the economics behinds it. I count 47 non stop ORD-LGA on Monday with 38 being <$100. I just don't get how/why airlines keep throwing so many seats on that route.
Old Nov 10, 17, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicago747 View Post
I get their is a TON of supply and an almost equal amount of demand. But at some point wouldn't they be smarter to dump a few frequencies and raise prices (and also move those extra aircraft to other routes that are getting more than $150r/t)?
No, it would not be smarter to reduce frequencies on ORD-LGA. Success on business-centric routes depends on flying numerous frequencies, as AA has done on this route for decades. If AA reduced frequencies, it would likely not be able to increase price, as its competitors would not reduce their frequencies. UA and DL would be able to up-gauge their flights to larger planes and take business away from AA.

ORD-LGA is a must-fly route (at high frequencies) for an airline desiring corporate contracts; that's why Delta began flying it after Parker gave Delta the LGA slots previously owned by US in the LGA/DCA slot swap. As ORD-LGA is a very important route for business, airlines must fly it whether or not the local fares on that route are highly profitable. More important is the profitability of the airline, which is enhanced by flying all of the basics, like ORD-LGA.

And in any event, 150 seats filled at $150 (net of taxes) is $22,500 of revenue, not counting any ancillary revenue like change fees, MCE/upgrade fees or checked bag fees. On top of that, onboard sales of snacks and alcohol add to the tally. At $22,000, that hypothetical flight is more than covering its fixed and variable costs.

Note how AA increased frequencies on JFK-LAX/SFO when it replaced the 762s with A321Ts and still flies 11-13 daily flights between JFK and LAX. Frequency wins.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on this route and the economics behinds it. I count 47 non stop ORD-LGA on Monday with 38 being <$100. I just don't get how/why airlines keep throwing so many seats on that route.
The airline that blinks and reduces frequencies risks losing.
Old Nov 11, 17, 7:34 am
dw
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
I've never really understood the economics of this route. It's a business traveler heavy route and every day, no matter if you want to fly tomorrow or 3 months from now, the fares are all sub $200. I'm in finance and have customers in NYC and every time I've flown there in the last 2 years coach has been around $150 r/t. My company is pretty lax about airfare so I can buy first class. My last 4 trips have been $500 and under. All of these were a few weeks out.
It wasn’t always this way; I remember paying nearly $500 in Y roundtrip at times with advance purchase maybe 2-3 years ago. (And back then, not sure about now, EWR-ORD with no Sat night stay and with less than 3 nights stay was at a min $700 on UA and AA.) But yes, these days I’m frequently seeing Y roundtrip for less than $200 and F roundtrip in the $450+ range. Not sure if it’s due to overcapacity or the Spirit effect or both.

Interestingly, rumor from this week is that DL is actually removing the “Shuttle” designation on their ORD flights sometime next year.
Old Nov 11, 17, 8:26 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG

They could keep the same frequencies but use smaller planes, such as the A319.
Old Nov 11, 17, 9:04 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Maybe AA could have a CLT-LGA Shuttle, too? Having the flights leave on the hour (or every 2 hours or whatever) would be easy to remember, and there is almost a flight an hour anyway now.
Old Nov 11, 17, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Shuttle has come to mean less and less. At DCA, there is a dedicated check-in desk nearer to the C concourse than AA's general and priority areas, but that is not an important amenity for most business travelers.

There are also slightly lower gate times (T-10 for Shuttle vs. T-15 for other domestic) and that benefits people who smartly wait at the AC and board at T-11.

However, AA has recently been strictly enforcing a T-30 cut off on changes. It used to be that if one simply walked up to the gate with a later flight, the GA would without much delay simply issue a BP for the earlier flight then boarding. When delays occur, AA would also keep the Shuttle open, thus permitting GA's to fill empty seats as passengers arrive for the next flight. That key operational feature no longer exists.
Old Nov 11, 17, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just saw ORD coming soon too....at the very least it would be to LGA but could see it also being applied to ORD-BOS/DCA as well.
Old Nov 11, 17, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I just saw ORD coming soon too....at the very least it would be to LGA but could see it also being applied to ORD-BOS/DCA as well.
Hmm, BOS and DCA don't nearly have the hourly (give or take) frequencies that would be needed to support a "shuttle" type branding. BOS is currently 8-9x a day mainline; IIRC DCA is similar or slightly less, with perhaps a few on Eagle?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: