Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped off flight (VDB), need advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:50 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
So how much per passenger was your compensation? The EU Directive would have been around $800 per person, so in order to accept vouchers as an alternative I would expect at least Double.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're going to use Uber for a shopping expedition, depending on your preferences and price point, you might want to consider some stores located on City Line Avenue, IIRC including Saks and a second similar place. Alternatively, farther away, there's the huge suburban King of Prussia mall which IIRC was one of the first indoor shopping malls.

I think Philadephia's huge iconic local downtown department store (Wanamaker's) at about 13th and Juniper (very close to Market and Chestnut Streets, but probably a more interesting walk from Suburban Station/15th Street) closed a while back.

Wanamaker's was bought by Macy's years ago. The Macy's is at 13th & Market.
There's also Target at 12th & Chestnut (one block south of Market) and 19th & Chestnut.

Another option for transit is the SEPTA Independence pass (just ask the conductor) which is a day pass for all rail, buses and subways for $13 each or $30 for a family of up to five.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
If you just need some inexpensive supplies there is a Walmart less than three miles from the Clarion. Might be able to get a ride there on the hotel van.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UncleDude
So how much per passenger was your compensation? The EU Directive would have been around $800 per person, so in order to accept vouchers as an alternative I would expect at least Double.
AA is not an EU carrier and the last time I looked, Philadelphia was not in the EU. Thus, EC 261/2004 has less than nothing to do with this.

The correct pricepoint here is the US rule which would require a cash payment of 400% of the segment fare capped at $1,350 (+ hotel & food). Presuming that the segment fare was at least $337.50, each passenger if IDB was due $1,350 in cash (or equivalent).

But, OP accepted a VDB. That is purely a negotiation and a reverse auction. I have recently seen AA pay $1,000 (in vouchers) for micro-haul commuter runs and also seen $250 for 4 hour flights. It is up to the passenger and if no passenger grabs it, then the offer might go up.

I see the baggage issue as a separate customer service fail having nothing to do with the VDB issue. OP was apparently told that his bags would be offloaded and that he might claim them at baggage claim. But, they were not. Thus, OP should purchase necessities and keep the receipts. He should submit those to AA after the trip with a note explaining that AA had said it would but did not offload his bags.

I give this gambit about a 33% chance, so OP should not spend what he would spend if he knew that he would not be reimbursed.

As an aside and having nothing to do with IDB/VDB, bags get lost and other things happen all the time. Given AA's generous carry-on allowance, I would always have 2-3 days clothing in the carryons.

The US does not require offloading of bags and has not since 2003, when 100% of checked bags were screened. It is up to AA to have a policy on this and I suspect that this was not a situation requiring that the bags be offloaded.
CJR and Microwave like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
We were due to fly phl-man tonight but it was oversold. We were given compo vouchers, hotel,meals and tickets for the flight tomorrow night.
A few questions if I may. We are at the Clarion airport and only have tee shirts as outer clothing, our bags weren’t unloaded with us!
We are gonna need something more substantial because the flight isn’t until 9pm tomorrow. Can we claim the cost of a taxi into philly and to get a sweater and underwear each? There is nothing around here unless we go back to the airport. Also because the flight isn’t until late tomorrow can we claim for a couple of meals, they only gave us $14 total for breakfast in the morning.
With the vouchers, do the flights have to be TAKEN within a year or BOOKED within a year, the voucher isn’t clear on this.
Go to the nearest mall and keep all receipts. Purchase warm clothes such as a nice pair of pants and essentials like Pajamas, Toilitries (baring in mind the liquid restriction). Perhaps you could purchase another suitcase and use that for your souvenirs and have the airline waive the 2nd bag fee.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:59 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Clark Casual
Wanamaker's was bought by Macy's years ago. The Macy's is at 13th & Market.
And anyone who goes to _that_ Macy's and does _not_ catch the free Organ Concert, well, you've just committed a serious crime against the Travel Gods.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UncleDude
The "EU Directive" would not have applied at all.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Ok I’m going to shock you. We were given $2.5k each in vouchers. I’ve had a look and the flight is oversold again tonight so we’re going to see if we can volunteer again lol
JDiver, kettle1, dickinson and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
When we VOL'D HNL-PHX in May they gave us dinner, breakfast, lunch and dinner, so definitely sounds workable on the meals, As for the other incidental personal items I would just write into CS after you fly but before your return.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Ok I’m going to shock you. We were given $2.5k each in vouchers. I’ve had a look and the flight is oversold again tonight so we’re going to see if we can volunteer again lol
Did that years ago on an ORD-DFW-SCL mileage run I had upgraded with SWU’s. Took the bump on on Friday night for $1K voucher + hotel + D, B and L vouchers and an upgrade to F. When I was getting the vouchers squared away, I heard them say the next night was even more oversold. So, when I checked in the following day I asked at the counter to be put on the volunteer bump list. By the time I made it to the (then) DFW Flagship Lounge I was being paged. Agent offered me the same deal as the night before and I took it in a heartbeat. Ended up flying out on Sunday night, got to my hotel, took a disco nap, showered and did a quick run around the city and a little shopping then it was back out Monday night for DFW and ORD. Those $2K in vouchers funded my now husband’s travel for two trips to Europe (when you could snag sub $400 trips to Dublin) and some domestic travel.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Well we had a lovely day. I know Philly pretty well being born in Camden, so we took the SEPTA instead of Uber/Lyft because the fare was much higher then when we landed. Got off at Jefferson with another couple that got bumped with us so acted as tour guides for a bit. Took them to Liberty Square and went off on our own. Macy’s trip then lunch and cocktails at the Continental midtown.
Only bought some new underwear but if we get offloaded tonight will defo be neededing some new duds.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

And here we are again. Took VDB again but now we are pretty desperate for clothing. The gate agents were insistent that AA are not going to pay for any incidentals even though they forgot to unload our luggage.
My wife is still in here pajama bottoms which kinda double as floaty pants but she really wants to get into something else now.

i would really like to know if AA are obliged to reimburse before we sspark out or if it makes a difference that we took VDB.

Either way way we are going to have to buy some stuff anyway.

On a brighter note I managed to get tickets to the Broncos game tomorrow as my nephew is a local fireman👍
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:45 pm

And here we are again. Took VDB again but now we are pretty desperate for clothing. The gate agents were insistent that AA are not going to pay for any incidentals even though they forgot to unload our luggage.
My wife is still in here pajama bottoms which kinda double as floaty pants but she really wants to get into something else now.

i would really like to know if AA are obliged to reimburse before we sspark out or if it makes a difference that we took VDB.

Either way way we are going to have to buy some stuff anyway.

On a brighter note I managed to get tickets to the Broncos game tomorrow as my nephew is a local fireman👍
I think you had a good case for some reimbursement of essentials after last night's VDB, as part of the stated deal was getting your checked bag back and they failed to deliver. Similar to the thread on UA where a business class seat on the later flight was promised and confirmed as part of the VDB, but later cancelled.

But tonight you volunteered again knowing that your bags are long gone, so I don't think you have much of a case for any additional expenses. If it was an issue you wouldn't have volunteered again.

It sounds like you got some pretty good compensation to extend your trip by a couple days and get to do some fun activities; enjoy!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmastron
I think you had a good case for some reimbursement of essentials after last night's VDB, as part of the stated deal was getting your checked bag back and they failed to deliver. Similar to the thread on UA where a business class seat on the later flight was promised and confirmed as part of the VDB, but later cancelled.

But tonight you volunteered again knowing that your bags are long gone, so I don't think you have much of a case for any additional expenses. If it was an issue you wouldn't have volunteered again.

It sounds like you got some pretty good compensation to extend your trip by a couple days and get to do some fun activities; enjoy!
And of course you are correct about tonight, and yes as long as there is a hotel room with soap and a basin washing can always be done. (He says staring at a standard lamp with about 5 things hanging from it in front of the room heater)

But if their duty of care in the first instance was to pay for essentials then really they should be made to do it, especially when the enticement to deboard was that we would be reunited with our luggage as well as the compo.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
And of course you are correct about tonight, and yes as long as there is a hotel room with soap and a basin washing can always be done. (He says staring at a standard lamp with about 5 things hanging from it in front of the room heater)

But if their duty of care in the first instance was to pay for essentials then really they should be made to do it, especially when the enticement to deboard was that we would be reunited with our luggage as well as the compo.
If you received another $2.5k each tonite and hotel I probably wouldn't sweat their failure to pay for incidentals and just toast my good fortune at receiving $5k each in vouchers with beer at the game tomorrow. Enjoy yourself at the game.
fotographer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.