Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blowing through EXP SWUs already

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Blowing through EXP SWUs already

So I made EXP for the first time 2 months ago and before this year is even over, I’ve already blown through all 4 SWUs flying LAX-HKG. Anyone else blow through SWUs this fast?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Not me...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
So I made EXP for the first time 2 months ago and before this year is even over, I’ve already blown through all 4 SWUs flying LAX-HKG. Anyone else blow through SWUs this fast?
Well, it's really not that hard to do. Not sure if you are traveling alone or not, but for a couple such as my wife and I, 4 SWUs are just one round trip and there gone. So really not hard to blow through 4 at all.

Regards
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:26 pm

Consider yourself fortunate that you've been able to use them, especially to HK. Since I won't risk a waitlist on a Y->J upgrade, I have a bunch that I haven't been able to use.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Use ‘em or lose ‘em.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We're both EXP so we now get 4 each/year. But we buy BA premium for international travel, so using them for domestic.

Although my trip to DSN, by way of PEK will use a couple of them

4 each will be sufficient for us.

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I suppose HKG-LAX on thanksgiving Sunday would be easier to clear?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Good to know LAX-HKG is that easy to clear, anything else you could share on this?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Good to know LAX-HKG is that easy to clear, anything else you could share on this?
This has been pretty well know for quite some time, no real secret here. That particular flight, in general, seems to be an operational disaster.

Regards
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
This has been pretty well know for quite some time, no real secret here. That particular flight, in general, seems to be an operational disaster.

Regards
I heard of it's an easy clear SWU route (but now I know it's THAT easy), but I've only tried DFW-HKG (connecting from east coast). For your second comment, I've heard of the fire incident in HKG and this week's kitchen disaster so far.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:50 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
It can be depending upon the day of the week. Having the luxury of being able to fly any day, I've had great success with the HKG-LAX-HKG RT's. Even had our LAX-HKG UPG 5 months out-Mar 2018. A friend who flew the HKG-LAX recently, on a Thursday, was way down the list and -0- seats available. Too many business flyers maybe, but he commented that the J cabin had may Chinese so maybe AA is selling (at a discount) to them. I've seen some deals on CTrips.com, so you may want to check that out.

Of course, the CZ business fares out of CAN and other Chinese airports can be a bargain, if they work for you. I still prefer going the long way with QR, especially when they are doing their 2-4-1 deals or the $1500 RT from BKK to LAX this past year.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I heard of it's an easy clear SWU route (but now I know it's THAT easy), but I've only tried DFW-HKG (connecting from east coast). For your second comment, I've heard of the fire incident in HKG and this week's kitchen disaster so far.
I could care less if my flight isn’t catered with the J meals. After eating in the QF F lounge, I’ve already had enough food to last me a while. When I get to HK, I can easily eat at the Plaza Premium Arrival Lounge via my PPS card.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
It can be depending upon the day of the week. Having the luxury of being able to fly any day, I've had great success with the HKG-LAX-HKG RT's. Even had our LAX-HKG UPG 5 months out-Mar 2018. A friend who flew the HKG-LAX recently, on a Thursday, was way down the list and -0- seats available. Too many business flyers maybe, but he commented that the J cabin had may Chinese so maybe AA is selling (at a discount) to them. I've seen some deals on CTrips.com, so you may want to check that out.

Of course, the CZ business fares out of CAN and other Chinese airports can be a bargain, if they work for you. I still prefer going the long way with QR, especially when they are doing their 2-4-1 deals or the $1500 RT from BKK to LAX this past year.
I really hope the QR US-SIN deal is coming back next year - I want to visit Doha badly. But for CZ I have to wait until the formal codeshare is setup. Given recent rumor saying CZ might be leaving ST (but CX will block CZ joining OW anyway, except if CX leaves OW to join *A, which will be a nightmare for me personally), I will hold on CZ flights for now.

March 18 is also the month I am looking at. AFAIK, Xmas and the entire Memorial Day-Labor Day period are usually to be avoided for HKG flights to clear SWU.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Nov 4, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:02 am

I could care less if my flight isn’t catered with the J meals. After eating in the QF F lounge, I’ve already had enough food to last me a while. When I get to HK, I can easily eat at the Plaza Premium Arrival Lounge via my PPS card.
True. I am always less impressed by AA's catering. Also, for EXP, if your final destination is HKG, you could use CX Arrival. Maybe the worst HKG CX lounge, but it's a CX HKG lounge...
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:17 am

Also, for EXP, if your final destination is HKG, you could use CX Arrival. Maybe the worst HKG CX lounge, but it's a CX HKG lounge...
You are incorrect regarding admittance to the CX arrivals lounge, assuming travel on AA metal.

Source: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dmittance.html

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.