Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Calling AA via VOIP: Skype, Hangouts, Voice, Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Skype has known issues when calling the main AA -800 number. They might be resolved as follows.

Originally Posted by Ali Safavi
Here is how you fix the issue on iPhone version of Skype app:

1- On Skype app go to the “Settings”
2- Scroll down and tap on option “Account and Profile”
3- Tap on “Your Profile”
4- Scroll down and tap on “Add Mobile Phone”
5- Add your cellphone number
6- Click on “Caller ID” check-box.
7- Click on “Verify”. Skype will send you a SMS with your verification code. Enter the code and complete verification.
8- You’re all set!
9- You’re welcome
Print Wikipost

Calling AA via VOIP: Skype, Hangouts, Voice, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
Are you trying to call a toll free (8XX) number? If yes, I would try one with a US area code.
But.......800 numbers are free on Skype. The local numbers require either paying per minute or having a calling plan.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mvoight
But.......800 numbers are free on Skype. The local numbers require either paying per minute or having a calling plan.
All US numbers (except 900 numbers) are free on Hangouts/Google Voice, at least.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
All US numbers (except 900 numbers) are free on Hangouts/Google Voice, at least.
Not if you are outside the US.

Google voice's charges are tiny, but you have to have credit to be able to make a call. You can get around that by VPN or proxy to the US, but it's much easier to just keep to phoning 8XX numbers.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Not if you are outside the US.

Google voice's charges are tiny, but you have to have credit to be able to make a call. You can get around that by VPN or proxy to the US, but it's much easier to just keep to phoning 8XX numbers.
Are you sure? I've called US numbers (non toll free) from Australia and Canada (and I think also Europe) frequently. I do have a US number associated with my Google Voice account, though. They don't have my credit card number or any balance, so I know they haven't charged me.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
Are you sure? I've called US numbers (non toll free) from Australia and Canada (and I think also Europe) frequently.
It was last time I used it. Also, still what google claims.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:29 pm

Apparently I am late to the party. Just experienced the Skype block. Would try Google Hangout.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I've tried various AA phone numbers using Skype but get "you cannot call this number on Skype". Other numbers such as Hilton and Citibank work fine.

Any ideas?
exact same message when I tried the EXP line this week from Shanghai. No dice.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I've never had a problem calling the 800 number from Europe or Africa, but Skype almost never seems to be able to get touch-tones (DTMF) to work .... very annoying! Voice is ok as long as you have a decent internet connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.