Search
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Airbus A321-200 conundrum: which?

See threads

AA new A321neo / 32Q / A321-253NX First / Business RC MiQ seats here

and

AA new A321neo / 32Q / A321-253NX RC Meridian Main Cabin / MCE seats here.

At this time, there are several types of Airbus A321-200 in the American Airlines fleet, and the new engine option A321neo will begin joining the fleet in early 2019, on the PHX and LAX to Hawaii routes. As well, Legacy A321 aircraft will be refurbished to a denser and new seating configuration, with at seat power and streamed WiFi in flight entertainment, under “Project Oasis”, the Seat retrofit and densification program AA has planned for its A320-A321 and Boeing 737 aircraft. This page at the (unofficial American Fleet Site! is the place to go to be informed of aircraft configuration, listed by aircraft type and organized by aircraft registration number.

The aa.com reflects, as of 24 Feb 2019:

321: LAA and LUS Airbus A321-200 aircraft. They can only be differentiated by looking at the seat map.

32B: This designation is now restricted to the three class A321T used between JFK and LAX or SFO.

32Q: A321-200neo (new engine option)

321: Airbus A321-200 aircraft from US Airways, listed as 321 on aa.com. These do not have Sharklets wingtip devices, and the legacy aircraft have no seatback IFE or any at-Seat power.

The legacy US A321 is (to be added)

The refurbished US A321 is (to be added)

32B: Airbus A321-200 from American Airlines are NO LONGER listed as 32B on aa.com, with Sharklets wingtip devices. NOTE: ALL S and H A321s, are also showing as “321” on aa.com as of 24 Feb 2019. Only the A321T is now showing as “32B”.

The legacy AA A321 has the following breakdown:

A321T: three class aircraft with Transcontinental Flagship First, Business and Main Cabin / Main Cabin Extra seats.

A321S: Two Class (Domestic First - International Business and Main Cabin / Main Cabin Extra seats.

A321H: Two Class (Domestic First - International Business and Main Cabin / Main Cabin Extra seats, ETOPS rated for west coast - Hawaii Service.

The refurbished AA A321 has the following breakdown: (to be added when known)

A321T: three class aircraft with Transcontinental Flagship First, Business and Main Cabin / Main Cabin Extra seats.

A321S: Two Class (Domestic First - International Business and Main Cabin / Main Cabin Extra seats.

A321H: will be replaced by A321neo / 32Q ~2019.

A321neo / 32Q new as of early 2019:

A321neo / 32Q (A321-253NX) Two Class (20 Domestic First - International Business and 176 Main Cabin (including 47 Main Cabin Extra seats), ETOPS rated. These will be used for longer domestic and near South America routes, and OHX - west coast - Hawaii service, and PHX. These are intended to ultimately replace both the PHX based Boeing 757-200 “H” version and the A321H.
Print Wikipost

Old style 321?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
321 Versions?

Are their two versions of this aircraft? I was on a 321 phx-phl on Tuesday in 2F. Legroom wasn't an issue even when the passenger reclined in front of me. The tray table was the one piece design.

However back to phx today on 686 in 2F again the distance between the seatback and my knees are probably 3 inches and the guy in front of me hasn't even reclined! Why is AA so stingy? The tray table on this dino bird is a two piece design.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Looks like you're currently on N161UW- which would be the first A321 to have joined the LUS fleet, on January 18th, 2001. It is currently the oldest A321 in AA's fleet.

Not sure which flight you were on on Tuesday, but it may have been a newer LUS delivery- which may explain the slight difference in seat pitch, or you may have been on an even newer LAA A321 (the kind with Sharklets and PTVs). What was the flight number?

The 3rd and completely different A321 operated by AA is the A321T, with 3 cabins- F, J and Y. Certainly wasn't one of those you were on...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ACA321
Looks like you're currently on N161UW- which would be the first A321 to have joined the LUS fleet, on January 18th, 2001. It is currently the oldest A321 in AA's fleet.

Not sure which flight you were on on Tuesday, but it may have been a newer LUS delivery- which may explain the slight difference in seat pitch, or you may have been on an even newer LAA A321 (the kind with Sharklets and PTVs). What was the flight number?

The 3rd and completely different A321 operated by AA is the A321T, with 3 cabins- F, J and Y. Certainly wasn't one of those you were on...
Tuesday's flight was 669.

So your saying the plane I'm sitting on was initially delivered in HP livery? LOL
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
So your saying the plane I'm sitting on was initially delivered in HP livery? LOL
No, he said it was US's oldest A321.

When you have the tail number, the last 2 digits can usually help tell you of the original carrier (unless the carrier gets it changed, and sounds like few do).

Any with UW were US Airways.
Any with AW were America West.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Tuesday's flight was 669.

On Tuesday the aircraft operating that flight was N978UY- FWIW, this aircraft was originally delivered to US Airways on December 28th, 2012 but registered as N566UW. It was re-registered after the merger due to duplicate FIN number with an MD-80 (along with 11 other such A321s).

Your Tuesday flight had a newer A321 with different engines (IAE vs. CFM) than the plane you're on today, and slightly different seats, but not the same as the LAA-ordered A321s with Sharklets. It appears as though there is also slight difference in seat pitch between the older and "newer" LUS A321s. I almost always sit in the bulkhead in F so can't say I've ever noticed a difference myself...

Aztimm is correct- N161UW was in the dark blue US Airways colors when delivered, and never on the HP side of the operation.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:41 pm

Old style 321?

Hi all

Looking to book some flights next summer in first class - one of the legs - CLT to PDX is showing the aircraft as the 321, which I believe is the old style plane with no power.

I'm not keen on booking if this is the case, but wondering if there is any chance whether AA will change the plane before August next year given we are still some time away, or whether it is likely this will be the actual plane?

Many thanks

JB
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by johnbonham
Hi all

Looking to book some flights next summer in first class - one of the legs - CLT to PDX is showing the aircraft as the 321, which I believe is the old style plane with no power.

I'm not keen on booking if this is the case, but wondering if there is any chance whether AA will change the plane before August next year given we are still some time away, or whether it is likely this will be the actual plane?

Many thanks

JB
They are going to refresh the LUS A321s, but I don't know the timeline. The chance they will replace it with a better aircraft are just over 0 (only because you never know).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:37 am

I believe the LUS A321s aren't supposed to be refreshed until 2019, meaning the chances of you getting a refurbished cabin next summer are very slim if they even begin the program by then.

AA typically tinkers with schedules and aircraft assignments once a month, until the schedule "firms up" usually 3 months out. If you're looking at next summer, chances are high the flight time and aircraft type will change, and more than once. This is why I frequently babysit my bookings. I've had equipment go from A319 to MD80 to ERJ-175, all on one route. Same for equipment changing from A320/321 to 738, or 787 to 772. You never know for sure this far out.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by johnbonham
Hi all

Many thanks

JB
Given this is a LUS hub to west coast route, there's a 90% chance or better this will be a legacy US A321 and given the refurb timeline no power/IFE. The seats are comfortable enough but there is no power (stinks for a 6 hour flight) and no IFE (less of an issue if you bring your own tablet or laptop and stream the free wifi)

There just hasn't been that much cross-fleeting yet out of CLT or PHL to the west coast (some in the DFW-PHX-LAX-SFO square has started already). I'm surprised they aren't running more LAA 321s on these longer east coast routes and leaving the US 321s for shorter runs, maybe that's the longer term strategy.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by lds89
I'm surprised they aren't running more LAA 321s on these longer east coast routes and leaving the US 321s for shorter runs, maybe that's the longer term strategy.
Yup- I sure wish they did. The LUS 321s are fine for anything up to about 2-2.5 hours, like CLT-DFW, but they really stink on the transcons.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
99.999% chance you'll be on a LUS A321 that hasn't been updated yet. If you want a LAA A321 or 738 you're going to have to connect through ORD or DFW.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I thought some of the LUS A321s had a minor makeover. I'm sure I ended up on one out of CLT earlier this year. The F seats were newly upholstered in a kind of brown/grey leather. No power, no IFE...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
I thought some of the LUS A321s had a minor makeover. I'm sure I ended up on one out of CLT earlier this year. The F seats were newly upholstered in a kind of brown/grey leather. No power, no IFE...
Yes, that's it. Seats have been recovered, carpets replaced, bulkheads refreshed. However, no new seats, power, or IFE.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Yes, that's it. Seats have been recovered, carpets replaced, bulkheads refreshed. However, no new seats, power, or IFE.
Yes, exactly. The new leather they used to recover the F seats is of much better quality than the LUS days.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
For some reason, my brain processed this as Old Style on an A321.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.