Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Sure looks like someone at the head office realized that a Listeria outbreak seems to have the positive effect of cutting catering costs!
It is sort of interesting, isn't it? Norovirus can rip through a cruise ship and they have it hosed down and turned in no time; here we have a one-off issue with a third-party vendor in a huge market full of vendors and it's "Whoa now, let's slow things down, gonna take a couple months, at least!"
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
Just a point of reference after following this for the last month or so.....I have a transcon LAX>JFK RT in F coming up next Wed. 12/20 and returning on 12/24. Meal selection has been up for the return since T-30 as well as shockingly the outbound, after looking closely at the outbound I realized it was the same as the J menu on this route and decided just to select something anyways but about 2 weeks ago, the menu for the outbound was pulled.

Obviously, not having any expectations and will be taking advantage of food in Qantas F lounge and possibly flagship dining permitting it sticks to plan (Lord knows that can change at any moment) BUT would like to know anyones recent experience in F for LAX>JFK or even in J to have an idea of what to possibly expect since it is a morning flight and I plan to be awake the whole flight and I eat every 2-3hours LOL, stock up before leaving LAX?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
It is sort of interesting, isn't it? Norovirus can rip through a cruise ship and they have it hosed down and turned in no time; here we have a one-off issue with a third-party vendor in a huge market full of vendors and it's "Whoa now, let's slow things down, gonna take a couple months, at least!"
Norovirus causes the ship to be out of service and the cruise line has to cancel sailings, thus losing money every day the issue isn't solved. Catering problems don't stop the planes from flying so it isn't as big an issue for AA and actually save AA money.

Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
Just a point of reference after following this for the last month or so.....I have a transcon LAX>JFK RT in F coming up next Wed. 12/20 and returning on 12/24. Meal selection has been up for the return since T-30 as well as shockingly the outbound, after looking closely at the outbound I realized it was the same as the J menu on this route and decided just to select something anyways but about 2 weeks ago, the menu for the outbound was pulled.

Obviously, not having any expectations and will be taking advantage of food in Qantas F lounge and possibly flagship dining permitting it sticks to plan (Lord knows that can change at any moment) BUT would like to know anyones recent experience in F for LAX>JFK or even in J to have an idea of what to possibly expect since it is a morning flight and I plan to be awake the whole flight and I eat every 2-3hours LOL, stock up before leaving LAX?
It isn't THAT long of a flight!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by arlflyer
And again......the geniuses at Delta figured this whole situation out without any disruption to customers. What idiots are running AA?

Last edited by AANYC1981; Dec 13, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
That MBA is going places!
Going for great, even!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Norovirus causes the ship to be out of service and the cruise line has to cancel sailings, thus losing money every day the issue isn't solved. Catering problems don't stop the planes from flying so it isn't as big an issue for AA and actually save AA money.

It isn't THAT long of a flight!

LOL! Your right, at the same time though, trying to take into account the lovely "taxiing" time at LAX and possible weather delays going into JFK. Furthermore, my fiancee is traveling with me and probably a good idea to inform her of this before the day of
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by ECKOA6

Just got off 193 and catering was 100% including full Casper setup. The menu that was posted up thread was the menu that was served.
I had the same experience except smoothie on AA193. The Jasper was refreshing, something new...I got PJ in J cabin also.
I used the Flagship Check-in at LAX and the agent told me the catering issue was solved, but I’m not sure if that’s true or not. Maybe he was just tellling about my flight only???

Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Still unable to successfully pre-order entree for Friday JFK-LAX. Supposedly JFK-LAX catering should be back to normal by tomorrow.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Still unable to successfully pre-order entree for Friday JFK-LAX. Supposedly JFK-LAX catering should be back to normal by tomorrow.

-FlyerBeek
Interesting, I have been able to pre-order mine since about 3 weeks ago...Still showing last time I checked, traveling on 12/24
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by MrJBoy

I had the same experience except smoothie on AA193. The Jasper was refreshing, something new...I got PJ in J cabin also.
I used the Flagship Check-in at LAX and the agent told me the catering issue was solved, but I’m not sure if that’s true or not. Maybe he was just tellling about my flight only???

The smoothies disappeared ever since the Listeria Hysteria began, and they have yet to make their comeback tour.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Gold
AA73 LAX-SYD 5 Dec 17: J was fully catered. No wine list on menu. AA2459 LAX-DFW 12 Dec 17: J offered two boxed breakfast choices, crew apologetic about no "usual premium meal service." A few groans in the crowd...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
They are sending credits which may or may not be used. And even if the are used, do they really cost AA anything?
IMO, yes, although generally less than the face value (how much less is what can be debated). If a voucher is used for a ticket that would have been purchased on AA anyway, then AA loses the full amount in revenue (and still incurs all the expenses of transporting the pax).

Otherwise, AA gets an incremental booking, but the normal profit on this booking is reduced by the voucher amount. As an estimate, since AA's overall profit margin appears to be ~6%, the profit on tickets under $1600 (presumably most tickets sold) could be eliminated (turned into a loss) by a $100 voucher.

Of course AA is presumably giving the vouchers based on long-term profitability considerations related to customer satisfaction, but I think the question is whether giving the vouchers has a direct cost to AA in the short term, and I say yes.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
IMO, yes, although generally less than the face value (how much less is what can be debated).
Well, it can be debated here, of course (isn't everything?) but AA knows historical redemption patterns and such, and accounts for them appropriately. Some judgement possibly, but backed by evidence. Unlike most discussions here.
glnsf likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
Yes, I flew LAX to JFK in F about 10 days ago. Like you, the typical F pre-order selections were available online and I was able to confirm my choice before travel.Notwithstanding the ability to select and confirm an entrée online (and my “choice” was even acknowledged by the F/A), the choices advertised online were not available and the “catering” (clearly double-catered out of JFK) onboard was totally pAAthetic.F and J were offered the same options (one hot and one cold) and the “set up” was sub-coach in quality (well below AA’s non-premium transcon F meal service).The wine was in short supply (I suspect we just had the leftovers from the outbound flight out of JFK) and it was an overall unacceptable and sub-par experience.Long story short, set your expectations real low so you’re only moderately disappointed.Just AAmazing that AA cares so little about its customers’ onboard experience and brand to allow this to drag on for weeks and weeks on end with no reliably published end in sight….
Levi Maeschan likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
Yes, I flew LAX to JFK in F about 10 days ago. Like you, the typical F pre-order selections were available online and I was able to confirm my choice before travel.Notwithstanding the ability to select and confirm an entrée online (and my “choice” was even acknowledged by the F/A), the choices advertised online were not available and the “catering” (clearly double-catered out of JFK) onboard was totally pAAthetic.F and J were offered the same options (one hot and one cold) and the “set up” was sub-coach in quality (well below AA’s non-premium transcon F meal service).The wine was in short supply (I suspect we just had the leftovers from the outbound flight out of JFK) and it was an overall unacceptable and sub-par experience.Long story short, set your expectations real low so you’re only moderately disappointed.Just AAmazing that AA cares so little about its customers’ onboard experience and brand to allow this to drag on for weeks and weeks on end with no reliably published end in sight….
I appreciate the insight, definitely sad to see this go on for as long as it has, its pretty inexcusable to say the least. Not sure if they hold catering overnight since I'm on AA2 which I believe the first flight of the day from JFK doesn't get into LAX until after I leave, and the last flight to get in at LAX from the day prior gets in a 1am. Nonetheless, sounds like a good plan, Ill make sure to go in with the mindset of flying Y and pray for the best. A little worried about the "wine supply" I can do without food but without alcohol we may have some issues
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.