Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TSparky
Salad in a plastic container or turkey wrap in a box.
classy
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JonNYC

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/935318417040642050

So, JFK-LAX will improve in those 2 stages as well as they won't need to carry the double catering.
absolutely ridiculous they can’t get this pulled together...is Jim Moses the head of LAX Ops? We should all flood whoever the station manager is with emails. He/She needs to be fired.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

absolutely ridiculous they can’t get this pulled together...is Jim Moses the head of LAX Ops? We should all flood whoever the station manager is with emails. He/She needs to be fired.
Sounds like a monumental waste of time to me.

It's a complicated problem and the folks here who think they know what's what, most definitely don't.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I know this was meant as sarcasm, but that's a good idea. Of course, I can see in the future - no food on board, you can bring your own and heat it.. for a fee..
not that much sarcasm. I know I can cook food better then 90% of the FA that work for the airline. And if I bring my own ingredients I am sure I would make the entire plane jealous.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:40 pm

It's a complicated problem and the folks here who think they know what's what, most definitely don't.
Welcome back!
CJR, bchandler02 and dciolli like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
LAX-PVR on 12/8. Absolutely pathetic offering. LUS FA had no clue what catering had loaded for her as this was her first flight operating ex-LAX since 11/1, and I had to let her know about the Listeria outbreak (thank God for Flyertalk!). She was rummaging through a plastic trash bag, and let us know that catering had loaded her ten vegetable salads in plastic containers (with no meat or any other kind of protein), and two turkey wraps in boxes (similar to what others seem to have received). There was no silverware, trays, linens, nuts, cookies, or even coach class BOB, or any other items loaded other than beverages, ice, and glassware. I literally ate the pasta salad that came with the turkey wrap using my fingers. There was no announcement of any kind at the gate prior to boarding.

This was a complete disgrace. Usually I'm a pretty easy guy to please. Maybe it's because I hadn't eaten since breakfast at 7:30am, and it was around 4:00 PM and I was hungry. But I thought this was all really lame. And yes, I paid for this first class ticket.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Dec 9, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K

I, and I think most people on here, can appreciate that.

But, isn't it incumbent on AA to communicate that? Is there no timeline for everything to get back to "normal?" Can't AA provide a webpage update that gives information on routes that receive normal service, reduced service routes, and "no service" routes? I appreciate your updates on Twitter, but those certainly don't reach 99.99% of the traveling public. Nobody has any idea of what to expect or when, unless you get a vaguely-worded email about catering issues two days before flying.
ijgordon and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax

But, isn't it incumbent on AA to communicate that? Is there no timeline for everything to get back to "normal?" Can't AA provide a webpage update that gives information on routes that receive normal service, reduced service routes, and "no service" routes? I appreciate your updates on Twitter, but those certainly don't reach 99.99% of the traveling public. Nobody has any idea of what to expect or when, unless you get a vaguely-worded email about catering issues two days before flying.
Don't hold your breath expecting any explanation or timeline being provided to passengers or employees. On today's transcontinental flight, JFK-LAX, the Purser told me that she feels fortunate when she confirms that catering supplied plates to the galley.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: alaska
There should be more media coverage of this...anyone have contacts in the LA area media? I mean it's been 5 weeks and it's not even close to being back to normal...

Pretty clear AA won't care unless they start losing money. vouchers guarantee people have to fly with them in the future...and spend more $ on them...
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: alaska
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax

Great point. A simple, hey we're not going to have catering until day X and we WILL have catering on these routes.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

So what is the problem??? This has been going on for 6 weeks? Call "Restaurant Impossible" TV show and it will be fixed in 48 hours.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:23 am

What’s the going compensation for a 3.5 hour flight (LAX-MEX) impacted by catering issues? Does AA only compensate paid flights or upgrades too?

Took this recently and got the turkey wrap or salad experience. It was sad considering how the gate agents were hawking paid upgrades at the gate saying that it came with more space and a complimentary 3 course meal. I guess technically the turkey club had 3 courses if you count the tiny chocolate as dessert.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
LAX-PVR on 12/8. Absolutely pathetic offering. LUS FA had no clue what catering had loaded for her as this was her first flight operating ex-LAX since 11/1, and I had to let her know about the Listeria outbreak (thank God for Flyertalk!). She was rummaging through a plastic trash bag, and let us know that catering had loaded her ten vegetable salads in plastic containers (with no meat or any other kind of protein), and two turkey wraps in boxes (similar to what others seem to have received). There was no silverware, trays, linens, nuts, cookies, or even coach class BOB, or any other items loaded other than beverages, ice, and glassware. I literally ate the pasta salad that came with the turkey wrap using my fingers. There was no announcement of any kind at the gate prior to boarding. This was a complete disgrace. Usually I'm a pretty easy guy to please. Maybe it's because I hadn't eaten since breakfast at 7:30am, and it was around 4:00 PM and I was hungry. But I thought this was all really lame. And yes, I paid for this first class ticket.
But, but, but...

Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:28 am

I generally agree 100% with what you write here and elsewhere and I 100% respect your knowledge of all things AA, but regardless of how complicated it is and I believe that it is complicated, it should not take this long to get this going properly.

DELTA was able to handle things so that there was no disruption or almost no disruption to their catering operation at LAX, so while I believe it is complicated DELTA was able to solve this complicated issue without it negatively impacting their customers into December.
JonNYC, AANYC1981, kettle1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by kmersh; Dec 10, 2017 at 9:09 pm Reason: add the word customers
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gdam22
There should be more media coverage of this...
Not a topic of general interest, and if it were covered then folks here probably wouldn't like the results (rich people throw tantrums over airplane food).
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.