Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I flew LAX-HKG in J in mid November. Ate a big meal in the QF F lounge as EXP. I would’ve ate the same big meal there regardless of what slop is served on the plane. Airline food is never that good, considering the lead time between when it is made and when it is consumed.

Meals were the domestic offerings, I chose one, but I dozed off before it could be served. Service was great. Overall, great flight, stayed hydrated, and then went off to go meet my then-fiancée and marry her
serfty and potus18 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Overall, great flight, stayed hydrated, and then went off to go meet my then-fiancée and marry her
Now that's a way to end a flight. Congratulations!
lhood likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Flew LAX to JFK in F the other day. The flight was supposed to be catered as a lunch flight. It was clearly “double provisioned” at JFK. PDB of choice offered and served in plastic. Once in the air, choice of drink with warm nuts. They had one bottle of Champagne for the entire (full) F cabin (my guess is a left over bottle from the flight out) and it went quickly after which we were offered the Prosecco from J -- PASS. Meal choices were the same in F and J ---- either a warm chicken dish or a cold chicken salad. F was catered with 6 hot and 4 cold choices (orders taken front to back); J was catered with 12 hot and 8 cold choices. The “presentation” of the meal was the entrée (puny in size), a roll already on the tray, and a tiny side salad dropped all at once on a tiny plastic tray with no linens. Dessert was a choice of cheesecake, a chocolate caramel tart, or piece of cake offered from a passed tray. There was a snack basket placed on the storage space in front of 1F after the “meal” service. Overall, a completely pAAthetic showing for premium transcon F (or any F for that matter). The lead F/A noted the catering issues out of LAX. I told him that I heard it was supposed to be resolved on the JFK flights by mid-December, to which he quipped “yeah, what year?”…Just an ongoing disgraceful and, after more than a month, totally inexcusable performance by AA.
Zacnlinc and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cubuffaloes2004
Took this flight on Sunday December 3rd and they had prepackaged cold meals in first class. Was offered a prepackaged salad or a box lunch that had a turkey wrap in it.
What a disappointment. I am scheduled to fly the same route next Sunday (12/10) on the 787 in paid F.

Did you get any emails in advance or receive a voucher?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Any ideas on how long the vouchers take to be delivered? Got an email on Nov 15 about receiving a voucher, but nothing yet. Trying to use it for an upcoming flight...

IME, it usually takes 2-3 weeks when dealing with Refunds for a voucher, but I'm assuming it will take much longer given the volumes and backlog for this...
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Any ideas on how long the vouchers take to be delivered? Got an email on Nov 15 about receiving a voucher, but nothing yet. Trying to use it for an upcoming flight...

IME, it usually takes 2-3 weeks when dealing with Refunds for a voucher, but I'm assuming it will take much longer given the volumes and backlog for this...
Flew AA1, JFK-LAX, on Saturday morning, December 2. Within one hour of landing at LAX, got an email that said "Here is the voucher we promised", with a link to the voucher at the bottom of that email.

The following day, I received another email from American, apologizing for the catering not meeting expected standard levels, and telling me to be on the lookout for the email containing the voucher.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ok, so yay, you've made a declarative post with underlines and everything, but if it is indeed "unacceptable" as you assert, not once, but twice, what specific action do you intend to take?

Are you shifting your business to another carrier? Will you never fly AA again? Will you choose not to requalify as an AA elite (assuming you are one)? Will you cancel any AA credit cards (assuming you have any)?

Lot's of folks talk a great game in these forums but few seem to do anything actionable (i.e. voting with there wallet)

Regards
I took my specific action a couple of years ago when I chose not to re-qualify with AA. I made the decision to not give AA my money. In the interest of full disclosure, I have continued to waste my AA miles (75K domestic awards, irresistible - yummy!) but even then, I do my best to redeem for AA's CEO least-favorite alliances ... the ME2. It's kind of pleasurable, actually, to get to spend AA miles on EY/QR. It's rather ironic.

But ... let me clarify what I said earlier:

It is UNACCEPTABLE for even a single AA flight out of LAX to not have full and proper catering after nearly 6 weeks. UNACCEPTABLE.

PS- I did cancel my AA credit card but then they sent me a lucrative checking account offer that I couldn't resist. But once more, in the interest of full disclosure, I only cancelled the said AA card because Citi refused to give me a retention offer. That was awful.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by LSUTigerWes
What a disappointment. I am scheduled to fly the same route next Sunday (12/10) on the 787 in paid F.

Did you get any emails in advance or receive a voucher?
No email and no voucher. This was actually the first time I have ever paid (I did get the first 800 or so first class rides for coach prices ) for first as I needed a few extra eqms to hit 100k - so kinda spited....
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I took my specific action a couple of years ago when I chose not to re-qualify with AA. I made the decision to not give AA my money. In the interest of full disclosure, I have continued to waste my AA miles (75K domestic awards, irresistible - yummy!) but even then, I do my best to redeem for AA's CEO least-favorite alliances ... the ME2. It's kind of pleasurable, actually, to get to spend AA miles on EY/QR. It's rather ironic.

It is UNACCEPTABLE for even a single AA flight out of LAX to not have full and proper catering after nearly 6 weeks. UNACCEPTABLE.

PS- I did cancel my AA credit card but then they sent me a lucrative checking account offer that I couldn't resist. But once more, in the interest of full disclosure, I only cancelled the said AA card because Citi refused to give me a retention offer. That was awful.
So let me see if I understand this. You are P!@#$%, right?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:27 pm

ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jcatman
Flew AA1, JFK-LAX, on Saturday morning, December 2. Within one hour of landing at LAX, got an email that said "Here is the voucher we promised", with a link to the voucher at the bottom of that email.

The following day, I received another email from American, apologizing for the catering not meeting expected standard levels, and telling me to be on the lookout for the email containing the voucher.
Thanks for the info! ^ My email specifically mentions a voucher sent through postal mail, so sounds like they may have switched to electronic at some point...
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP

That's great. My total spending on AA has also dwindled down to virtually zero. I have no flights on AA booked and will only use AA as a last resort, now using AS as my preferred carrier, except sticking to jetBlue for trans-cons. Hope more people vote with their wallets and AA starts to feel the pain. I seriously can't imagine any reasonable person spending money on American's premium cabins unless the fare is substantially below the competition (but in coach, it's almost all the same these days).

The only "spending" I keep on AA is the Citi Exec Card because, admittedly, the Citi Price Rewind feature is amazing and saves me a good amount of money every year, and the authorized user benefit is too generous (and my parents love it). Plus, I fly Alaska now domestically, so it works to get me into AS lounges.

My last AA flight was to be a few weeks ago on JFK-LAX, but after getting the email, I booked jetBlue Mint and told AA they needed to give me a full refund back to my card (which they did with no argument).
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by MAH4546
That's great. My total spending on AA has also dwindled down to virtually zero. I have no flights on AA booked and will only use AA as a last resort, now using AS as my preferred carrier, except sticking to jetBlue for trans-cons. Hope more people vote with their wallets and AA starts to feel the pain. I seriously can't imagine any reasonable person spending money on American's premium cabins unless the fare is substantially below the competition (but in coach, it's almost all the same these days).
There are many good reasons for flying AA from LAX --- network, partners, international business class seat, corporate contracts...
A catering blip doesn't change any of that.

As for people voting with their wallets, they are, hence the quarterly increases in AA's yield factor.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
As for people voting with their wallets, they are, hence the quarterly increases in AA's yield factor.
LOL. Sure. LAX premium passengers are flocking to AA these days for their world class service.
Good one.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
Looks like someone didn't double check if chicken sausage was vegetarian 😂
There are lots of vegetarians who think that chicken is a vegetable.
"I'm a vegetarian, but I eat chicken"...
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.