Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by bacampbe
AA 8907 (LAX-DFW) served boxed wraps or salads in J on Nov 18. Of course, everyone wanted wraps, so they were gone by the time they got to the back half of FC. No PDB. The rest of the service seemed normal.

Coincidentally, AA 192 (HKG-LAX) did not serve the listed dessert, although they seemed otherwise catered as normal. I assume that's for reasons unrelated to the LAX problems. (I gather the plane originally came via DFW, not LAX).
i got the same on LAX-DFW the day after. And a $50 e-voucher (purchased Y, 'upgraded' to J). Luckily I had enough time for calamari, hamachi, steak frites, cheese, espresso martinis and champagne at the Qantas lounge earlier......
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
LAX-AUS on Monday evening. Emailed a $50 voucher about 45 minutes before boarding. Dinner was a choice of a chicken salad or some sort of pepper thing. Rolls and warm nuts were as usual. Dessert was a decent tiramisu.

I guess $50 is the norm for a domestic flight like this, and that you get the same whether you're on a paid F ticket or got an upgrade. I would have expected more for a paid F ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Lax hkg tomorrow in J. Offered $200 voucher from an email. Its very nice for them to do this. Its a sleeping flight for me, so I am ok with it.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA should be ashamed of themselves at this point...this is totally ridiculous.
flyingmusicianlax and DCP2016 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Entree choices for my LAX-JFK in F next week have reappeared. It'd stopped working, as it was showing an error when I tried to view them. They include the lobster roll I really wanted to try.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:01 am

Here's an excerpt from an interview with a Gate Group exec that touched on the LA kitchen. Full article is here.

Skift: You told me recently in New York that airline food is some of the safest in the world. But last month listeria was found on some surfaces at your Los Angeles facility, and a few airlines suspended some food service. What happened?

De Hauw: There was listeria found on the drains and on the ground in one of our units. We immediately took action to make sure that the bacteria was removed.

We are reconstructing our hot kitchen in LAX but are working with a mobile hot kitchen temporarily in some cases, and are catering out of Las Vegas in other cases.
Given their temporary arrangements, it's unlikely that GG could even provision AA properly at this time. There's more to this than meets the eye.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Got my $200 voucher for my LAX-HKG segment tonight. And I WILL use it lol....

Stocked up with trail mix and beef jerky just in case and will snarf at the Qantas lounge pre-flight and should be good to go.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by De Hauw
We are reconstructing our hot kitchen in LAX...
Originally Posted by cedric
There's more to this than meets the eye.
I'm convinced there is more to this than meets the eye. "Reconstructing... kitchen" - the sort of reconstruction involving building works? What else could take so long?

I have to suspect that the discovery of listeria exposed some more significant problems, like structural problems in drainage or other hygiene-critical infrastructure (walls, ceiling, ventilation system, chilled storage).

Does anyone local to LAX (or with spare time and a vehicle while nearby) feel like going past their building on California St at the south perimeter of the airport and seeing if there are any signs of contractor vehicles outside?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Well I am on LAX to NRT right now in J... got full catering (minus some beverages). I will provide pictures once we land. Catered by FFG. No special meals but I did score a Japanese meal. Oddly enough I saw a Gate gourmet truck on an A320 at the gate next to ours...

Lot of managers at the gate today, said it is the same catering as JAL. We had a long discussion about the catering saga.

Last edited by kar don; Nov 22, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by kar don
Lot of managers at the gate today, said it is the same catering as JAL. We had a long discussion about the catering saga.
I would have no objection to AA permanently upgrading their catering to the be the same as JAL catering.

NO OBJECTION AT ALL.
kar don and DCP2016 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
Got my $200 for Friday Lax-Hkg, very happy because no AA meal has ever been worth $200 to me no matter the length of flight. This has to be costing AA a fortune, who is taking the hit?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat 4 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat
I was told today that the new LAX-HKG catering company would not be put into place until November 29th.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by kar don
Well I am on LAX to NRT right now in J... got full catering (minus some beverages). I will provide pictures once we land. Catered by FFG. No special meals but I did score a Japanese meal. Oddly enough I saw a Gate gourmet truck on an A320 at the gate next to ours...

Good to hear, friend of mine is on that same flight and said that they had a full menu and Japanese offering. My understanding is that the Japanese meal is the same as JL, however everything else is AA standard.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
LAX to NRT 11/22 AA 169. Got the japanese meal except i got both appetizers because they screwed up.

Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Got off 193 11/21 that seemt to have basically everything except proper food. Bose headsets, full bedding set (blanket + mattress + thick pillow) and slippers (very cute!) were pre set before boarding. Kits, PJs, newspapers and Dasani distributed by hand afterwards. Just like some reports above, dinner was a domestic F set up of choice between pasta and chicken/couscous (of which the FA couldn't describe anything beyond 'pasta, creamy sauce' and 'chicken'). Gooey chocolate cake or cheese and fruit plate available for dessert, asked individually. Breakfast was some slop of a hot sandwich which although looked ugly tasted alright.

Purser recited a scripted text regarding the catering situation as we taxied to the runway at LAX. Upon arrival at HKG, HKG handling agents distributed a 'voucher' (that's what they said onboard) which turned out to be a ~US$10 dining voucher at any airport outlet in HKG, quite useless for those that had lounge access but perhaps not for those terminating in HKG.

The most terrible thing, however, is that AA fAAiled to attach the link in the email that was supposed to contain the $200 voucher (my companion got it), and now they ask for me to wait for it to come in the mail in 4-6 weeks time. I mean, seriously???
DCP2016 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.