Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just called about my LAX/HKG J segment on 11/22 and asked about meal selection. Agent said there was still catering issues but there would be 'regular' meals, just no pre-order meals and not to worry lol. No offer of a voucher or anything. Guess I will do what everyone else is doing and load up in the TBIT Qantas lounge and hope for the best. Can't believe they haven't gotten this resolved three weeks out. Anyway, will pack a few things in carry on as well... anymore, when an AA agent tells me not to worry, IME, it's time to start worrying.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Received my notification email and $100 voucher for LAX-HKG. Flying in Y.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Marriott / SPG Gold, IHG PLatinum,
LAX HKG AA193 Business Class

Relatives just got off of AA 193 LAX to HKG in J business class (regular ticket + applied my SWUs).
Departed SUNDAY November 19th, 11:45 PM LAX Time.
Relatives received $200 / each for complications of catering approximately 2 days before flight.

From the discussions, it's operating as a Domestic First Class meal service pretty much.

- PBD - Had the normal Apple Juice, Champagne, Water, OJs departure drinks.
- No Pajamas
- Amenity Kits were handed out
- No Menus at all on the flight / Food options and presentations not up to previous international Business Class Standards
- 1st Meal choice is only a Chicken or Pasta (with salad and some cold cut meat), Dessert is small chocolate cake or fruit, no ice cream served
- 2nd Snack - A sandwich but because no menus, they don't announce this. (Limited chip and snack selection in the galley)
- Landing Meal - Cereal in a Bowl or a Egg Sandwich garnished with fruit.
(Looks like Domestic first class meals still)

Last edited by iflyeverywhere777; Nov 20, 2017 at 5:03 pm Reason: Add more details
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
On a domestic flight, of course! A 14-hour intercontinental, not so much. I would like a fresh mid-flight snack, and a fresh meal before landing. And part of the "experience" on those flights is the multi-course meal service. On JFK-LHR, no thanks, I want to sleep, but a 14-hourer I need some distractions!
Even on a 14-hour flight I'd happily figure out my own meals for a $100 voucher (spending probably one-tenth that). No airline food is worth that much.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjw242
Even on a 14-hour flight I'd happily figure out my own meals for a $100 voucher (spending probably one-tenth that). No airline food is worth that much.
Perhaps no American airline meal. But I've had plenty of amazing First Class meals on real airlines that are were worth that and more.
flyingmusicianlax and G-CIVC like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by iflyeverywhere777
My relatives (previous EXPs so they understand the expectations) are currently on AA 193 LAX to HKG (regular ticket + applied my SWUs). Departed November 19th, 11:45 PM LAX Time.
Arrives in 6 hours and I'll have pictures to post as I told them to document the entire experience.
Relatives received $200 / each for complications of catering approximately 2 days before flight.

As of Nov 19th, 11:30 PM LA Time, I called them on the plane and they
- PBD - Had the normal Apple Juice, Champagne, Water, OJs departure drinks.
- No Amenity Kit or PJs as of 30 minutes during Predeparture Boarding- could have been passed out after take off?
- FA said no menus on this route yet ... (they dont pass out a menu during this situation)
- Meal choice is only a Chicken or Pasta for at least the first meal

let's get it together AA!
I'm doing this route next week in J. I would gladly fill up at the QF lounge prior to the flight and get more sleep on the plane if this is still happening next week.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
It’s not just the exact monetary value of the individual food and beverage items that’s the issue. It’s the fact that, at least I for one, pay for the premium cabin to have a true premium experience overall inflight, which includes not only a quality hard product, but a quality soft product --- i.e., amenity kits, PJs, food, and wine. IMO, the whole of the premium experience is worth more than the sum of its individual parts. Having an intercontinental premium flight catered like domestic first (or worse) or a premium transcontinental flight catered well below standard, if at all, is just a disgrace. I know I’ve made substantially the same comment before elsewhere in this tread, but AA’s “management” of this situation is nothing short of a joke. There’s no excuse ---- in particular pushing three weeks in ---- for AA’s monumentally botched management of this situation which appears to have no broad-based end in sight. Also, to make matters worse, to the best of my knowledge, AA has no real communications program in place to apprise customers of what they are doing to fix this and when it will be fixed in any detail ---- an e-mail sent a day or two before one’s flight letting one know that there will be no proper catering doesn’t really count as a communications “program”.
IndyHoosier and DCP2016 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by pbd456
it is not really a cost saving when AA is issuing 200 e-vouchers for customers.
Even if AA is ultimately going to bear the cost of the vouchers (I doubt it --- Gate Gourmet is likely to get the bill), we’re talking about travel vouchers, not cash. Customers can go ahead and apply that big $200 voucher against their next $15,000+ LAX-HKG R/T flight in F in exchange for yet another mid-con F catered meal, if they are lucky...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It is if you had to run from your connecting flight to make it to a 15 hour TPAC and don't have time to figure out your own meals, or if you would prefer not having your food sitting at room temperature for xx number of hours.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Im flying LAX to NRT in less than 48 hours in J... not a peep from AA.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
This sounds like progress:
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kar don
Im flying LAX to NRT in less than 48 hours in J... not a peep from AA.
We got the email at 24 hours.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by GuysInCT
wow this post is <redacted> and helpful

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 21, 2017 at 11:48 am Reason: Enough, please.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL Gold MDL
Originally Posted by ctmike
Flying LAX to SYD in J November 23 and curious as to any recent experiences on the catering. In a prior reply, I saw catering for all flights would be "back to normal" by November 18, but looks doubtful since still don't have the ability to pre-select a meal.
Bringing forward...any recent experiences? Are Amenity Kits and PJs being distributed?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
T-24 to my LAX to NRT trip (no voucher) .. Anyone see FFG trucks at Gate 41 this morning @ LAX? Supposedly starts today...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.