Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Am I missing something or has it taken both carriers approximately two weeks to make a catering change?
I think you're missing the significant disruption in the meantime and ongoing inconsistency in AA's in-flight offering. Maybe you should read this thread? Do you see anything similar reported on the Delta forum?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
I'm guessing this issue was resolved?
Nope. Tomorrow's (Nov 14) LAX-HKG being {sub) catered per emails received from AA today.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Eneka
Did Delta announced they suspended catering with Gate Gourmet? The bacteria was only found in the drains and bot in any foods, many airlines are still using them. Afaik only AA and Virgin Australia (?) has suspended them.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#28dab5255d4a
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Based on experience-If one ignores (it) long enough, it goes away. But then again, so does one's customers.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Good for you, ultimately in America that is the only way companies respond when they see impact in top and bottom line. Airline business is very heavily dependent on top fliers, AA seems going out of its way to screw with them. Being a SF based flyer, I have toyed with going 100% with DL but have not pulled the plug, next year might be it. This year I flew DL several times to and from ANC and say the day/night difference in their over all service vs both AA and AS. Currently on AA 192 back, you can't help but notice the bad service, I avoided the crappy food by having a dinner at CX F lounge (which even after cost cutting is still better than any AA food), but the cabin is a mess, only snacks in the so called bar were left over desserts which looked gross and some stuff that came straight from a vending machine, but hey it was sitting on clean table cloth, washroom amenities were missing or empty, garbage bags sitting open in galley, sinks in C/F washrooms absolutely gross! When you combine a very good hard product with very bad soft product, you get bad overall product.
I switched to AS, although my Miami/New York flying I'm using primarily jetBlue. I was throwing in some AA trips here and there, but don't have any left. The difference is night and day. What a superior airline in every respect Alaska Airlines is to the new American. And the elite benefits are just fantastic, especially with regards to flight changes.

I realize AS does not work for everybody - but for my travel needs and habits from LAX, it works, especially since merging with Virgin America. They fly me non-stop to where I need to go most often domestically; and since when I fly to Europe/Asia I pay for J regardless, I won't miss the OW premium benefits. The only thing I really miss is having to use FLL instead of MIA, but a small price to pay for a superior in-flight product.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jordyn
I think you're missing the significant disruption in the meantime and ongoing inconsistency in AA's in-flight offering. Maybe you should read this thread? Do you see anything similar reported on the Delta forum?
As a point of reference, United's problem in Denver w/listeria and catering were first reported around 10/27 and as of today (11/13), the problems continue...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
So what happens when LSG or Air Fayre have a sanitary problem? Will AA dump them and rotate back around to GG and sell it as a win?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
On a LAX-JFK currently in J. No hot meals, do have soda, champagne, and OJ pre-departure. Did offer some sandwich wrap or a salad (prepackaged). While paying for another flight with a voucher, the ticket agent said it should resume back to normal by the end of the week. Did get an amenity kit on my flight unlike some others. Voucher I got was $50, but tweeted telling them they should at least offer free premium drinks in the Admirals clubs that are open, given this nightmare.

Tried to get a free premium drink in the Admirals club but got shot down (I tried - figure EXP plus J plus messed up food service would work).

Also, no Bose headsets in J?

If flying coach, you pick your snack/drink in the jet bridge.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just flew JFK-LAX this evening in J. I wasn’t aware the westbound flights were also affected (presumably due to double-catering for the red eye return) but there was absolutely no dessert, snack, or cookie service in J and beverages were short catered to accommodate the return flight meal carts (wine ran out before dinner was even finished). Also no menus, PDBs, or an accurate record of pre-ordered entrees. Definitely not “going for great” on this “flagship” transcon.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:17 am

Someone needs a Biscoff.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Exactly. In less than two weeks, DL has successfully transitioned to another catering company with ZERO impact on their customers in-flight experiences.

Contrast that to AA who, nearly two weeks into this fiasco, (i) is still serving the same crAAp that one would get for a domestic F mid-con dinner flight in Flagship First to HKG (based on a recent report elsewhere in this forum) and (ii) has zero proper inflight catering (I dont consider a saran wrapped sandwich that looks like it came out of a kids packed school lunch on a transcon route in F to count as catering) on the supermajority of its domestic flights. As another poster in this thread eloquently stated: this is nothing short of an epic fail by AA.
bchandler02 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Flying MSY-LAX on Friday. Meal choices still available, on a flight that I am pretty sure is double catered ex-LAX. Checked to see if choices were still listed today, and this is what it shows. Something is brewing, but can't figure out what.

Last week, it showed normal choices.

Thoughts?

Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Just received my $100 voucher for LAX-JFK AA32 tomorrow (in J). Pretty sad its taking this long... Will report back on what is served
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
saw an update on the points guy... doesn't show that LAX to NRT was resolved as was previously annouced (NOV 14)
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
Originally Posted by kar don
saw an update on the points guy... doesn't show that LAX to NRT was resolved as was previously annouced (NOV 14)
Nope, flying out tomorrow LAX to AKL and just got an email today still not resolved with the $200 voucher. Seriously wondering what they will be serving on this long haul.
kar don likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.