Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by beachfan
Any more recent reports of Y Exp passengers getting a voucher? Seems like it was discontinued.
LAX-HKG third day after the outbreak - no voucher (Y).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
No Pre-Select Biz Dinner Options for LAX-HKG for Nov 14th

Couldn't see them online and called the EXP Desk. They couldn't see any either, except for the special meals (vegetarian etc..).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wrote AA an email saying I felt a $50 voucher for LAX-RDU in F was inadequate. They gave me an additional 5,000 miles.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.9MM and counting, HHDiamond, SPG Plat
On flight tomorrow, to HKG, 13th - just got email saying - see below. My highlighted color emphasis. MY question - does this have an effect on the food service at the Flagship lounge in LAX? anybody know for sure?

Important information

On Wednesday, Nov. 1, we suspended using the services of one of our onboard caterers at Los Angeles International (LAX). With this change, we regret to inform you that we will have limited service at this time.
We're doing all we can to resolve this matter as quickly as possible to ensure your dining experience returns to our standard service levels. If your meal service is impacted, you will receive an electronic travel voucher for use on a future flight.
Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work through this transition.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by gajs
On flight tomorrow, to HKG, 13th - just got email saying - see below. My highlighted color emphasis. MY question - does this have an effect on the food service at the Flagship lounge in LAX? anybody know for sure?
The FlagShip lounge and the T4 Admirals Club at LAX are closed for renovations.

The food and beverage service at the T5 Admirals Club has not been affected.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gajs
If you're an EXP (per your profile), you'll have access to the Qantas First Lounge in TBIT. Way better than the Flagship Lounge was..

Made to order dishes, a selection of champagnes etc..

Anyway, my wife and I will be there tomorrow evening (Tuesday, Nov 14th) from about 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM prior to boarding the HKG flight. PM me if you're stopping by.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by TWA884
The FlagShip lounge and the T4 Admirals Club at LAX are closed for renovations.

The food and beverage service at the T5 Admirals Club has not been affected.
Slightly off topic, but I have a flight tomorrow in business class departing from T4 at LAX.

After I've checked in and cleared security, am I able to get to T5's lounge, and is it a far walk if so?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:40 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edyang
Slightly off topic, but I have a flight tomorrow in business class departing from T4 at LAX.

After I've checked in and cleared security, am I able to get to T5's lounge, and is it a far walk if so?
Yes. You can also clear security in T5 if you prefer. Once through either terminal walk toward the far end and you'll see signs that direct you. You take an escalator down to the tunnel. Perhaps 15-minute walk, at the very most.
edyang likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by edyang

You can also access the Qantas lounge in TBIT. That would be my choice over the T5 AC.
edyang and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Attachment 43796I flew Friday's AA1379 LAX-BOS (the red-eye), upgraded to F. No e-mail before the flight.

I used T5 Priority Check-in (former Delta One check-in area) and asked the agents there about the catering situation. They looked at me blankly, and I had to mention a few other key phrases ("listeria," "meal service," "snacks") before it clicked as to what I was asking about. They said they had no other information, but recommended that I pick up something in the terminal. I asked if any meal vouchers were being issued for this purpose, was told flat-out no.

I didn't have Admirals Club access for this flight, but decided to check with them in case they had better information. There the AC agent said that all catering issues had been resolved and that I had nothing to worry about.

Seeing the disparity of the two opinions, I talked to the gate agent. The GA working the flight didn't know, deferred to the senior GA, who walked down to the plane and said "yes, it's been double catered, there's food."

On boarding, passing by the folding tables stationed in the jet bridge stocked with beverages and other items covered by tablecloths, I boarded and asked the FA what the catering situation was. She said she had sandwiches and some snacks from the previous flight.

PDB was water or OJ. Then upon a departure delay waiting for maintenance to inspect a missing lifejacket compartment cover, I was able to ask for other drinks.

After takeoff, the snack basket was a picked-over collection of pretzels, mixed nuts, and cookie thins. To the side of the snack basket were plastic-wrapped turkey, lettuce, and cheese sandwiches (TLCs?) on wheat, with a laserjet address label slapped on the back identifying them. This flight is normally "refreshments," so I guess I should take it as a win. But then I tasted the sandwich -- the bread was hard and borderline-stale. I would have rather had a full snack basket instead of the sandwich.

(I checked after landing, and this plane originated in HNL)
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
You can also access the Qantas lounge in TBIT. That would be my choice over the T5 AC.
Because I hadn't seen the T5 AC yet, I checked it out when I was flying to Hong Kong earlier this month, the check-in agent said to me, "you know you have access to the QF lounge, right? There's no first-class lounge here." He paused a bunch, trying to fathom why I wanted to see the T5 lounge.

So if the AC employees know it, definitely use the TBIT lounges if you can
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Flight attendant has advised us there's no liquor, beer or wine.
I’m sure some will coming rushing to AA’s defense (per usual), but this is completely and totally inexcusable, in particular given that AA has had nearly two weeks to address the issue. Given the volume of paid premium traffic in and out of LAX, I can’t believe that AA would risk alienating some of its presumably most lucrative customers with this lackluster management of the situation (I also find it hard to believe that many of AA’s Hollywood A-list customers will find this very amusing, in particular on the “premium” 3-cabin routes).
AANYC1981 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.9MM and counting, HHDiamond, SPG Plat
thanks to all who replied, here and privately. - I will use Q lounge prior to departure.

I just got my email voucher for $200.

The text states its for my recent flight... but as I've yet to take off.... [tomorrow]!
So typical. - Cheers all.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
I’m sure some will coming rushing to AA’s defense (per usual), but this is completely and totally inexcusable, in particular given that AA has had nearly two weeks to address the issue. Given the volume of paid premium traffic in and out of LAX, I can’t believe that AA would risk alienating some of its presumably most lucrative customers with this lackluster management of the situation (I also find it hard to believe that many of AA’s Hollywood A-list customers will find this very amusing, in particular on the “premium” 3-cabin routes).
FWIW, on AA 30 (LAX-JFK) last night first (and I believe the situation was the same in business) seemed to be catered a bit more normally, although there did seem to be limited alcohol selection. I still find it baffling that it's so hard to get beverages catered in this situation--not only does it seem like AA should still be able to use Gate Gourmet for beverages, but most of the logistical concerns about bringing in new providers don't really seem to apply either.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT; DL Gold MDL
Flying LAX to SYD in J November 23 and curious as to any recent experiences on the catering. In a prior reply, I saw catering for all flights would be "back to normal" by November 18, but looks doubtful since still don't have the ability to pre-select a meal.

Last edited by ctmike; Nov 21, 2017 at 6:23 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.