Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
NOW who is complaining about Airline "FOOD"! I see T-4 and T-5 take out sales escalating. Ya think?

Excellent suggestion about the Qantas lounge-salt baked squid is quality one would pay for.
Just passed by T5 the other day after years not seeing it, it's got quite a lot of selections now including a Lemonade! The Admirals club there was nice too.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
They better be offering severe compensation, such as a FULL refund of your fare AND miles and/or AA vouchers. Going without snacks is one thing, going without any beverages as well is overkill.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
They better be offering severe compensation, such as a FULL refund of your fare AND miles and/or AA vouchers. Going without snacks is one thing, going without any beverages as well is overkill.
They sent us all scrambling to buy beverages prior to boarding - I specifically asked if they would have water and was told no. Now that we are on the flight I see they have some beverages including water - difficult to know if they are short because so many bought their own. But really - it’s pretty severe to announce no water on a flight and why would a Listeria outbreak even affect the beverages?

Anyway, a refund wouldn’t be enticing to me since my company is paying - but it would be nice to get miles or vouchers.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I s lysteria transferable surface-to-surface? Perhaps that is why the "no beverage" policy was enforced. However, are the food caterers the same as the beverage caterers?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The listeria was in floor drains and not found on any food facing surfaces. Plus Gate Gourmet self reported this and took corrective action immediately.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
At least there are pretty good food options at TBIT. Could definitely be worse.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by onetess
They sent us all scrambling to buy beverages prior to boarding - I specifically asked if they would have water and was told no. Now that we are on the flight I see they have some beverages including water - difficult to know if they are short because so many bought their own. But really - it’s pretty severe to announce no water on a flight and why would a Listeria outbreak even affect the beverages?
According to my sources, there is a concern about surface contamination.

Beverages are offered on most flights, but not on planes that overnighted at LAX on OCT 31.

Affected customers are being notified by email and will receive electronic vouchers for use on future flights.

Complimentary snacks, sodas and water will be distributed at the gate areas of flights that will have no catering on board.

Where possible, domestic flights into LAX are being double catered.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by TWA884
According to my sources, there is a concern about surface contamination.

Beverages are offered on most flights, but not on planes that overnighted at LAX on OCT 31.

Affected customers are being notified by email and will receive electronic vouchers for use on future flights.

Complimentary snacks, sodas and water will be distributed at the gate areas of flights that will have no catering on board.

Where possible, domestic flights into LAX are being double catered.
Glad they rolled out those carts, they had them at CLT back in October due to a nasty storm. Thought it was a nice gesture considering all the delays/cancellations were weather related.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:13 pm

I flew this morning on AA1138 from LAX to AUS, departing 8.25am from TBIT. I arrived at the gate around 7.45 to hear an announcement that there would be no catering on the flight, that AA had canceled the contract with their caterer, first-class passengers were being offered a voucher to use in the airport. The voucher was for $12, which I thought was fairly inadequate. The lines at Starbucks etc. were very long.Apparently before I got there the announcement was that they would be no beverages, but around 7.45 they announced that beverages would be available. The gate agent announced they were hoping to get grab and go snacks available. She announced later when everyone was boarded, that they had not been able to achieve this. There was no talk of listeria nor any reason given. This afternoon I received an email from AA apologizing for the catering problems, again no mention of listeria. A voucher for $100 was included in the email. The first class ticket purchased was around $290, FWIW I have no status with AA. Whilst more is always nice, I feel the $100 voucher seems fair. Comments?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Auscal
I flew this morning on AA1138 from LAX to AUS, departing 8.25am from TBIT. I arrived at the gate around 7.45 to hear an announcement that there would be no catering on the flight, that AA had canceled the contract with their caterer, first-class passengers were being offered a voucher to use in the airport. The voucher was for $12, which I thought was fairly inadequate. The lines at Starbucks etc. were very long.Apparently before I got there the announcement was that they would be no beverages, but around 7.45 they announced that beverages would be available. The gate agent announced they were hoping to get grab and go snacks available. She announced later when everyone was boarded, that they had not been able to achieve this. There was no talk of listeria nor any reason given. This afternoon I received an email from AA apologizing for the catering problems, again no mention of listeria. A voucher for $100 was included in the email. The first class ticket purchased was around $290, FWIW I have no status with AA. Whilst more is always nice, I feel the $100 voucher seems fair. Comments?
Yeah, I'd say for a flight of that length (and the typical quality of food received in F) $100 is proactively good.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
A friend got this e-mail:

"On Wednesday, Nov. 1, American Airlines stopped using the services of Gate Gourmet, an onboard caterer at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). This may affect the dining experience on departing flights from LAX.

We're making alternate arrangements for catering from other providers, but we may not be able to meet our standard catering levels over the next few days.

Until we find a new catering service, we'll offer customers who are affected an electronic travel voucher for use on a future flight.

We apologize in advance for this potential disruption."

He has a LAX-NRT flight tomorrow. Wonder how the voucher will be. I also wonder if he can reroute to avoid LAX (or on partners).

Last edited by no2chem; Nov 1, 2017 at 10:37 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Glad they rolled out those carts, they had them at CLT back in October due to a nasty storm. Thought it was a nice gesture considering all the delays/cancellations were weather related.
that is a nice touch when the roll out the carts loaded with chips cookies and drinks. not super healthy, but a very nice gesture when things have gone sideways, one that I've appreciated when it's happened to me
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm at the T5 Admirals Club right now. I was asked for my destination when I checked in.

Apparently, they offer take out meals for passengers on flights with a meal service. My destination didn't qualify.

ETA: They are giving out vouchers, not food.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 2, 2017 at 12:02 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A couple days ago, news media in the upper Midwest were advising people not to eat certain fresh veggies (IIRC broccoli was mentioned, maybe califlower and peppers too) from certain suppliers. They said that there was listeria contamination, but I didn't pay much attention to further details as I didn't seem to have been exposed to the risk.

Now I'm wondering whether the LAX airline catering operation was getting veggies from the same contaminated source(s).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
I’m on the LAX > HKG tonight in paid First. I’m enjoying what is probably a better dinner in the Qantas First lounge, so not sure what level of proactiveness is happening in lounge or gate.

That said, my voucher better be more than $100! Add at least a zero to that, and I’ll be satisfied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.