Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by formeraa
Exactly! If AA hadn't suspended this caterer, we would be criticizing AA for putting us at risk of illness.

To the posters who are criticizing AA for "not having a backup plan", I assure you that airline catering is a complex issue. It's not something that you replace in a day. You would be surprised at the effort that goes into planning menus, coordinating with caterers, following up on problems, making sure that the caterers have adequate supplies of carts, dishes, and other supplies.
You are completely correct. AA might as well pull all beverages/food from ALL flights forever. Might as well raise fares $50 while we're at it. #GoingForGreat
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by formeraa
You would be surprised at the effort that goes into planning menus, coordinating with caterers, following up on problems, making sure that the caterers have adequate supplies of carts, dishes, and other supplies.
None of which is required if AA wants to procure a limited amount of backup catering on extremely short notice. Sure, the menu will be different. And it will probably be served on heavy plastic. But it's definitely available.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
AA143 LAX-HNL was fully catered yesterday (well in economy at least) I had asked at the AC in T5 and they called down and were told that it was catered as normal. I had asked to just see if I needed to stop off on the schlep back to T4 for the flight. I was walking past the AC service area in T4 and stuck my head in the door. I asked what the deal was and they said that they had set up a grab and go service. I grabbed a roll, some chips and a bottle of water and headed off to my HNL. I did notice that they did have food items for sale, but I was happy with my grab and go haul.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
So how far in advance are we seeing the vouchers sent? I received an email earlier in the week advising of a possible issue for my flight.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Happy for you. A voucher for my 10 hour flight to LHR in J next week would not be quite as thrilling.
I read upthread somewhere that LAX-LHR is not impacted. They use a different caterer.

I am on LAX-LHR tomorrow. My meal choice is still displayed, as usual, in the website. When I get to Europe, I will post my experience.
obscure2k and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Herb687
None of which is required if AA wants to procure a limited amount of backup catering on extremely short notice. Sure, the menu will be different. And it will probably be served on heavy plastic. But it's definitely available.
You don't get it that NO existing caterer can do this on a dime. This isn't DR recovery for an IT project - it's LACK of service items, lack of staff, lack of security review for how AA operated catering, it's WAY more than cook it and send it. Multiple people have been stating this politely.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I read upthread somewhere that LAX-LHR is not impacted. They use a different caterer.

I am on LAX-LHR tomorrow. My meal choice is still displayed, as usual, in the website. When I get to Europe, I will post my experience.
Please report back! I'm on LAX-PEK later this weekend and those in the know state that was set to be catered by Air Fayre who also does GRU and PVG (have been doing those prior to the GG issues) and speculation is they have also been doing LHR (They have a 4 flight agreement with AA just for LAX): http://www.iii.co.uk/alliance-news/1...rican-airlines

Last edited by NickP 1K; Nov 7, 2017 at 9:30 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:31 am

Does anyone know the current status of the LAX-HND fight?

Not being aware of the outbreak, I switched my fight to tomorrow's LAX-HND. I only realized the issue when I went to select my meal choice (in J) and see that the option to reserve meals had been removed. I did not receive any emails on possible meal service disruptions, possibly because I switched flights less than 48 hours before departure time.

Unfortunately I have a tight 75 minute connection in LAX so likely won't have time to eat in the lounge beforehand. Should I grab a sandwich at a kiosk? Ask AA for a voucher? Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Did the voucher come before or after the flight? Have an upcoming domestic F flight ex-LAX this week, and have not received a voucher.

Kind of kidding here (kind of), but who thinks this is all just one big conspiracy by AA to cut costs?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
my meal choice or option to change for my LAX to NRT on 11/22 is no longer present
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob
Lax-hkg 11/7

I'm booked on tonight's LAX-HKG AA193 in upgraded J.

November 4th I got the "dining experience on your upcoming flight from LAX may be impacted" e-mail. Meal selection gone.

November 6th I got a $200 voucher.

Meal selection for the return flight (December 5th HKG-LAX) is still there.

I'll try to remember to report back on the inflight offerings.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Bravo AA.

Given the choice to lean toward food safety, I think AA handled itself incredibly well on my recent transcon from LAX on Thursday. I got an email in advance, a phone call from AA apologizing and shockingly the sandwiches catered onboard in business as substitutes were fine.

The FAs were apologetic and focused on trying to make sure everyone felt the love in the J cabin and the service was amongst the best experienced in a long time.

Any news on when catering will normalize for domestic flights from LAX? I see that a domestic flight in 2 days does not have online meal selection enabled leading me to think it remains unresolved.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Bravo AA.

Given the choice to lean toward food safety, I think AA handled itself incredibly well on my recent transcon from LAX on Thursday. I got an email in advance, a phone call from AA apologizing and shockingly the sandwiches catered onboard in business as substitutes were fine.

The FAs were apologetic and focused on trying to make sure everyone felt the love in the J cabin and the service was amongst the best experienced in a long time.

Any news on when catering will normalize for domestic flights from LAX? I see that a domestic flight in 2 days does not have online meal selection enabled leading me to think it remains unresolved.
Did you get a voucher?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Alright I see I am a little confused here. Are these vouchers for future use booking an AA flight, or are these food/cash vouchers to use in the airport? If it's for the airport then I commend AA. If it's for a future flight I hope everyone writes them back to tell them where to stick it.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Alright I see I am a little confused here. Are these vouchers for future use booking an AA flight, or are these food/cash vouchers to use in the airport? If it's for the airport then I commend AA. If it's for a future flight I hope everyone writes them back to tell them where to stick it.
At what airport would (want to) spend $200 or even $100 for food?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
At what airport would (want to) spend $200 or even $100 for food?
I guess if you have a nice sit-down meal with lots of drinks.

Anyway I take back what I said above since it seems it's for vouchers on a future flight, like if I was in J LAX-HKG I'd ever want to fly AA again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.