Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Thanks for this tidbit. Is this recent? As I'm on LAX-PEK next week and still got the email on the issues.

Edit: Caught this: http://www.iii.co.uk/alliance-news/1...rican-airlines
From Last Year. So what were the 4 original flights Air Fayre was doing (as PEK is a new route starting this next week)
My understanding, is that they also cater the LHR flights
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by SFO777
Simply wow. #GoingForGreat indeed. What a pathetic excuse for an airline... as if we needed any more. Unfortunately, we're locked into LAX-LHR in First on 11/21 and I have no confidence that anything will be fixed by then. But one thing is certain... we'll have dinner in QF Lounge before.
Saw somewhere else that PVG, GRU and LHR were all serviced by Air Fayre NOT Gate Gourmet (this was a 4 flight agreement with another caterer done Aug last year) - e.g. so this wouldn't affect those flights. Though I know EVERYONE got emails.

Also you are flying 11/21 - by then it's likely fixed for premium cabin Intl flights

I'm on the new PEK flight 11/12 and right now hearing Air Fayre is doing that flight also - let's see
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards Gold
Long Haul Fixed

So the AA staff at LAX say that the SYD flight will be as normal with full food / drink service - time will tell.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Mrs. Man flew from LAX today in F domestically and received a substantial voucher. I flew from LAX today on Eagle and thought catering on Eagle exceeded anything I have ever experienced previously. Purely comment/FYI.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
How long is it likely that it will take for AA to sort out the catering situation at LAX for all it's flights (not just the international ones)? Are we talking a couple of weeks?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Saw somewhere else that PVG, GRU and LHR were all serviced by Air Fayre NOT Gate Gourmet (this was a 4 flight agreement with another caterer done Aug last year) - e.g. so this wouldn't affect those flights.
Another data point. I am on LAX-LHR Nov 8. I got the generic "service may be impacted" email, but still see my regular meal choices in the website.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here is the headline that the NBC morons placed on its website:

"Traces of Listeria Found in American Airlines Catered Food"

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...454850333.html

No wonder so many think so little of the tv networks.

So AA, "out of an abundance of caution," fired GG even though other airlines did not.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#25d9ad2e1c92

So what happens the next time listeria is found in the floor drains of one of AA's other LA caterers like Air Fayre or LSG? Will AA fire them as well, "out of an abundance of caution?" At some point, there won't be any caterers meeting AA's high standards.

AA and "high standards." Good one.
Wow that NBC LA headline is completely wrong - the story itself is from the LA based City News Service (a local wire) - my guess is some overworked underpaid web editor didn't read the full story and wrote that in haste. Sent them a note.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by baxieboy
So the AA staff at LAX say that the SYD flight will be as normal with full food / drink service - time will tell.
Interesting. From my sources (people who flew AA73) in the past 48 hours, it is still not catered.

I just checked in for LAX-NRT to be told 'NRT is fully catered'. I bought up the SYD and AKL examples (neither had catering) to be told 'oh NRT is different'. Not sure if NRT falls into the same bucket as HKG and PVG (being an Asian destination, is that provider better at the Asian style meals?).

I'll soon find out (but currently filling up in the QF lounge just in case )

*edit*
Data point: offered $200USD *snail mail* voucher for paid J fare (to an 'address on file' when they have no address).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
$200 voucher for LAX-HKG in J.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Maybe part of the discussion should surround which restaurant in LAX provides the best to-go meal for a long flight...I'm pretty certain that the BBQ chicken pizza is a bad choice.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Score8
Maybe part of the discussion should surround which restaurant in LAX provides the best to-go meal for a long flight...I'm pretty certain that the BBQ chicken pizza is a bad choice.
I have no problem feeding up prior to take off. The problem is on a 12-14 hour flight, that no 'tasty' food (excluding snacks) is safe to eat after 4 hours at room temperature.

Short of cup noodles, your options are pretty limited.
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Was on AA193 (LAX-HKG) on 11/3 with an S fare. Food was so-so, don't do enough international to know whether it was good/bad/whatever. But I did receive a proactive email saying they had problems with the caterer. They brought up a cart full of sandwiches before they boarded the flight and I grabbed a sandwich (and was nearly mobbed as everybody else ran for the cart...).

Received an email with a $100 voucher after the fact.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Simply wow. #GoingForGreat indeed. What a pathetic excuse for an airline... as if we needed any more. Unfortunately, we're locked into LAX-LHR in First on 11/21 and I have no confidence that anything will be fixed by then. But one thing is certain... we'll have dinner in QF Lounge before.
Which is far better fare than anything you would get on any AA flight, ever, I would wager.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:53 pm

Well, I'll be [fill in the blank]. I received a reply from AA customer service and an additional $100 voucher. I was not expecting that.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Went to preselect meal options for this weekend's RDU-DFW-LAX-RDU trip. The meal options for LAX-RDU which I'm flying on Sunday 11/12 are no longer there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.