Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I've flown on Eagle flights with out of commission lavs. THAT practice, along with common sense would tell me they don't view missing food for a flight as a "critical function" If it persists as a problem I'm certain they'll improve their backup plan,
Oh, I agree it's obvious that AA doesn't consider food a critical function. I guess we'll find out whether their business and first class passengers agree with them since they're the primary ones affected by this debacle.

FWIW, AA 27 was pre-catered on the inbound flight out of DFW, but as a domestic coach flight. (No menus, two meal choices, crappy wines, etc.). Better than nothing, I suppose, but pretty bad for "Flagship Business".

Meanwhile, this mostly seems self-inflicted by AA since literally no other airlines that use Gate Gourmet took the same approach: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#256838bb41c1

It's also not clear why they couldn't have had Gate Gourmet continue to cater beverages even if they didn't trust the food preparation.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Voluntary change to avoid this nonsense? Fare difference + change fee??? Something tells me this management team doesn't quite understand those HVC's they're so focused on attracting.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by no2chem
A friend got this e-mail:

"On Wednesday, Nov. 1, American Airlines stopped using the services of Gate Gourmet, an onboard caterer at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). This may affect the dining experience on departing flights from LAX.

We're making alternate arrangements for catering from other providers, but we may not be able to meet our standard catering levels over the next few days.

Until we find a new catering service, we'll offer customers who are affected an electronic travel voucher for use on a future flight.

We apologize in advance for this potential disruption."

He has a LAX-NRT flight tomorrow. Wonder how the voucher will be. I also wonder if he can reroute to avoid LAX (or on partners).
I just received this email for my flight LAX-JFK tomorrow. My upgrade cleared and I was looking forward to their making breakfast for me, but I guess I'll revert to Plan A and bring my own. *sigh*
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Wow, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency in customer experiences. I have two upcoming red-eye flights (tonight and Saturday night) out of LAX (to DFW and ORD) and in addition to yesterday's email apologizing for the catering issue, today I received a separate email apologizing and a voucher for $100 off a future flight. That seems more than fair for lukewarm mixed nuts, a half-baked chocolate chip cookie, and an amaretto to put me to sleep.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by rjw242
Not really viable to switch caterers in <24 hours.
On a limited basis (i.e. international premium cabins only), it's perfectly viable.

Originally Posted by bchandler02
It's called planning. In a large business, there should be a continuity/recovery plan for any major issue, such as catering at a major hub like LAX. This is just AA taking the cheapest way out, plain and simple.
Bingo. If I want a company to bring a chateaubriand to my Gulfstream at LAX or VNY on a few hours notice for a 0400 departure, it can be done. I may not like the price. But the service is absolutely available.

AA could absolutely find sufficient catering to at least cover long-haul international premium cabins on very short notice.

It's also interesting that GateGourmet called the issue resolved, and AA still isn't catering. Why? Are other GG customers also not getting any catering, or just AA?
Well, this IS the same airline that serves shelf-stable crap left on the airplane overnight because they claim that there's no catering available at outstations in mid-sized cities (Fresno comes to mind. Previously SMF too). Bollocks. There's catering available at FAT. There's catering available at SMF. There is, in fact, catering available at every airport in this country that AA would want to serve.

Now, maybe they couldn't execute a full swap this quick, but I'd bet they could at least cater the premium cabins from another, if they were willing to pay. There's always other options too - catering from local restaurants, vouchers that get you a complete meal and proper advance notification, or even pizza delivery.

In a previous job, I had to arrange catering on a regular basis for ~400 people with < 2 hours notice if we were busy. You get creative.. 25 from this place, 50 from here, pizza for 1 group.. etc. Don't tell me it can't be done.
^ What you said!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by critterchick
I just received this email for my flight LAX-JFK tomorrow. My upgrade cleared and I was looking forward to their making breakfast for me, but I guess I'll revert to Plan A and bring my own. *sigh*
LAX-JFK in J will get you access to the AC before the flight. A good move by AA during this crisis would be to offer more food in the clubs while this gets resolved.
hunterjumperguy likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
On the Transcon in business last night, they served predeparture drinks. They offered cold sandwiches (turkey, ham, and vegan wrap) or cheese plates in lieu of the hot meals. They still had the snack baskets. Not sure if they still offered meal options in coach.

No email or correspondence about any compensation though. I wrote to AA customer service to inquire and haven't heard back yet.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:25 pm

Just got a $200 voucher from AA for my LAX-HND flight (while still in flight).

Even though I think this is being handled pretty poorly, I do think that's reasonable compensation. Would still like the communications about what's actually going to happen once on the flights to be better, though.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by jordyn

Even though I think this is being handled pretty poorly, I do think that's reasonable compensation. Would still like the communications about what's actually going to happen once on the flights to be better, though.
Wow...mid-flight? "We're sorry you're hungry, and even sorrier this email is reaching you somewhere over the Pacific. Our bad!"
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by no2chem
A friend got this e-mail:

"On Wednesday, Nov. 1, American Airlines stopped using the services of Gate Gourmet, an onboard caterer at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). This may affect the dining experience on departing flights from LAX.

We're making alternate arrangements for catering from other providers, but we may not be able to meet our standard catering levels over the next few days.

Until we find a new catering service, we'll offer customers who are affected an electronic travel voucher for use on a future flight.

We apologize in advance for this potential disruption."

He has a LAX-NRT flight tomorrow. Wonder how the voucher will be. I also wonder if he can reroute to avoid LAX (or on partners).
I have gotten nothing so far.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:33 pm

What to make of AA's decision to halt catering where others have continued using the facility?

Listeria can be serious, so despite the inconvenience, I'm impressed AA is sending the message that food safety is paramount.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presume this is also affecting double-catered flights back to LAX, like the daybreak flight BNA-LAX (which traditionally has no hot breakfast up front because of the double-catering)? Or are they getting alternative catering at the normally double-catered airports?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:37 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by tied
What to make of AA's decision to halt catering where others have continued using the facility?

Listeria can be serious, so despite the inconvenience, I'm impressed AA is sending the message that food safety is paramount.
I suppose the others are willing to gamble on their customers' well being.

This is a pretty good general article about listeria and shared that in food processing centers the drains are the most common source of contamination and the fact it's very easy to spread from there onto the surfaces.

https://www.foodmanufacturing.com/ar...inate-listeria
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Herb687
Bingo. If I want a company to bring a chateaubriand to my Gulfstream at LAX or VNY on a few hours notice for a 0400 departure, it can be done. I may not like the price. But the service is absolutely available.

AA could absolutely find sufficient catering to at least cover long-haul international premium cabins on very short notice.
I got dinged for my earlier message but this is nuts. You are comparing ONE flight to 200+ daily flights and 41K passengers - yes most Domestic Y but still catered for beverages. How can you take that scope and turn on in any thing less than a week.

Please call any of the LAX based catering groups and ask them to cover that as a standby contingency - NONE of them would take this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jordyn

How well was the flight catered? When did they communicate to pax that they need to bring food/whatever else?

$200 seems really low to me so interested to hear the catering situation on board.

ETA: I see your post above now. That is weak. Is there sufficient food/drink for everyone on board?

Last edited by 869; Nov 2, 2017 at 7:17 pm Reason: new info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.