Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PHL or ORD Which would you rather change through?

PHL or ORD Which would you rather change through?

Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Not really sure why people are dumping on PHL acting like ORD is very nice.

PHL's A-West kills anything ORD has, especially for international flts
PHL's F terminal is nicer than H G or L at ORD to me
ORD's K terminal is a little better than B and C at PHL but not by much.
My biggest hatred of PHL is ATC delays though, seems the worst to me.

I think going via ORD and coming back via PHL is the right move.
carlosdca, DMPHL and superweak like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dylanks
PHL will have the new Amex centurion lounge, and ORD has the new flagship lounge... which would only be a factor if you have an Amex platinum card or are flying in business class. PHL has the minute suites if you have a long layover. Both airports have a few decent dining options.

Not sure if if it was mentioned but PHL is also getting a new flagship Lounge.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
PHL's A-West kills anything ORD has, especially for international flts
PHL's F terminal is nicer than H G or L at ORD to me
ORD's K terminal is a little better than B and C at PHL but not by much.
Kindly stop clouding up everyone's "PHL is a dump" mantra with actual facts.

Frankly, both are decent middle of the road US airports. Nothing fantastic, and nothing truly dreadful (and I've experienced much of both in airports around the world).

+1 to the out via ORD, return via PHL.

Not sure if if it was mentioned but PHL is also getting a new flagship Lounge.
Apparently not until January 2019 at the earliest.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

Apparently not until January 2019 at the earliest.
Really? Ugh. I have not heard that.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by QtownDave
Really? Ugh. I have not heard that.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28989971-post842.html

Granted it's from a lounge agent, but she mentioned discussions with the club manager specifically referring to the question of closing all versus half the club during renovations, the plumbing for the new showers, and the C&I facility impact. She seemed to know her stuff...
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Going out: ORD

Returning: PHL

Reason: I simply despise the ordeal of transferring from the ORD intl terminal. Not only that but T3 AA's check in area seems to be always so crowded and chaotic (not that one has to check in but one must go through that area to get to security/gates entrance).
PHL is ok. ORD is not immensely better, IMHO.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by bse118
Again, care to offer any reasons?

There's no objective way that the I-D connection at ORD is better than PHL.

The only thing better with AA's terminal facilities at ORD are the current lounges. The majority of rest of the terminal is old, overcrowded, and nothing more than functional.

UA has the nicer terminal at ORD.

I get that it is a matter of opinion, but I am trying to figure out what possible reason folks have for thinking ORD is a better physical facility.
I don't find the I-D connection at ORD to be anything particularly annoying, especially given that AA's terminal is the first one you get to. AA's terminal at ORD has better food, better lighting, better decoration, better light and is generally better than PHL.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by N1120A
I don't find the I-D connection at ORD to be anything particularly annoying, especially given that AA's terminal is the first one you get to. AA's terminal at ORD has better food, better lighting, better decoration, better light and is generally better than PHL.
Most ORD infrastructure is not that much better than PHL, if you're thinking about waiting at the gate, etc.

If your layover is going to be long, I would use ORD, since you'll have FL access and be able to take a shower and have some better food, etc...unless you have an AMEX Plat, in which you can use the just-opened-today Centurion Lounge at PHL.

If you're looking for a quicker connection and can get it, I'd use PHL, since the Immigration experience at PHL would generally be a lot quicker, since they'll be processing a number of AA flights, but note the volume of OW and *A flights that has to go through ORD T5, coupled with the transfer.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Despite my hatred of the ORD train and, perhaps more importantly, the mile-long TSA pre-check line in T3, the better plane and the flagship lounge are the tipping points that keep ORD in the win column.

However, there is that craft beer bar at the end of terminal C in PHL that IMHO is among the best airport craft beer bars in the system. Much better than the crappy choices in the two lounges.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:52 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
PHL. I hate ORD. It is crowded and has lots of weather delays.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Lady Jag
We'd be in Bus. Class both ways.

Here's my dilemma:

do we sit around & wait until the 2:50pm flight out of VCE (sitting in the airport for 4.5 hrs. and I've heard VCE doesn't have a bus. class lounge) and go through ORD
OR
spend 4 hrs. 45 mins. in PHL and leave VCE earlier?

Also, I understand the flights between VCE and ORD & PHL aren't "approved" by the government yet. Anyone know when that will happen or IF?
2:50pm is a great time to fly out, why would you be at VCE for 4.5 hours? You should ask for late check out at your hotel, even normal check out would leave only a comfortable amount of time at the airport.

On the other hand, if your flight out of ORD westbound is the last flight of the day, there is a slight risk of cancellation and being stranded.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Score8
Despite my hatred of the ORD train and, perhaps more importantly, the mile-long TSA pre-check line in T3, the better plane and the flagship lounge are the tipping points that keep ORD in the win column.

However, there is that craft beer bar at the end of terminal C in PHL that IMHO is among the best airport craft beer bars in the system. Much better than the crappy choices in the two lounges.
This really varies, sometimes it is very fast. Also, if the OP is EXP, because they are on an international itinerary, they can walk through the Flagship check in at T3 and cut in to the front of the TSA pre-check line.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMPHL
VCE is summer seasonal for both PHL and ORD, so snow won't be a problem for OP!
I actually think ORD is worse in the summer than in winter. Common snow is not an issue unless it's a true blizzard or freak -20 degree day where the fuel lines freeze. That doesn't happen often. In summer a single thunderstorm over the field can cancel half the flights.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I have never done an international transfer at PHL. My opinion is solely based on the fact that I avoid LUS metal like the plague! So my choice would be ORD both ways. I can deal with a bad transfer experience between T5-T3. However, especially since you are flying in J, I would prefer the 787 over the 330, the flagship lounge at ORD over any lounge in PHL, and most definitely a LAA 321 or 738, vs an LUS 321 to LAX! While you are spending 4.5 hrs at an airport, you are also spending 4 to 5 hours on a domestic flight and that is more of a concern for me than which airport I will lounge out at.

Now if JFK was an option... then no brainer!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.