Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

69K miles to burn; want to have some fun CHA-PHX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: occasional DL/AA flyer, avgeek

hello AA experts.
As stated in the title, I am looking for a way to maximize use of some AAdvantage miles I was given by a family member. The balance is 69K and it appears that I can get another 1000 at a reasonable cost.
I fly between CHA and PHX a couple times a year (on another airline) and want to use these miles up on my next trip. Something a bit out of the ordinary.
Need to travel Jan/Feb 2018.
I am an airplane geek and welcome the opportunity to do something different. Things like an out of the ordinary aircraft, an unnecessary connection through an interesting airport, or something along those lines.
What I am trying to avoid, and this is difficult on this route, are any of the (IMHO) outdated LUS aircraft. No phone charger socket? Please. I might make an exception and do the LUS A333 between CLT and PHX (in F).
I have a routing that includes a leg (DFW-LAX) on the 789; i discussed this in another section in regards to the less than optimal connection in DFW.
I think I would like the newer mainline aircraft (32B, 319). Am also OK with RJs with the exception of the CRJ-200 (unavoidable CHA-CLT during this time).
I can go through one of my all time favorite airports (SNA, LAX, SAN).
I can fly AAEagle and set foot in one of several cities where I have never been.
70K miles lets me choose flying one direction on an AAnytime award and the other on a sAAver award, both in Business/First. Any remaining miles would likely be wasted.
Any ideas, just for fun? Remember...aviation geek here. Maybe I need to try this on Airliners.net?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by hollywood37343
Maybe I need to try this on Airliners.net?
Probably advisable. (Though of course you'll get suggestions here, just not at the level of geekitude you'll see over there )
hollywood37343 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

thanks...unfortunately for some reason they deactivated my account. too much of a geek?
Interesting that someone in the airline forum here that I usually peruse sent me that way too.
Doesn't anyone like airplanes anymore, or does flying frequently make one somewhat jaded about it?
OK I'll quit. Still open to suggestions though.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
The 789 is about as interesting as it's going to get for you. There isn't anything that interesting/out of the ordinary. I'm a bit removed from AA, but the 77W if it still runs MIA-LAX is as nice as it's going to get, or the premium transcon.

There are some AA partners like Cape Air that fly Cessna's, but I don't think you can redeem awards for them. There is the occasional A330 as you mentioned, and some oddball 757's that have interesting configurations.

I could probably recommend flying into /through EGE, that's an interesting expereince. The issue with that though is you will need an award to there and from there, so it can't be done on one award. EGE has a very difficult approach and takeoff due to the terrain. I do see there is seasonal service PHX-EGE (albeit CRJ700's, not the 757 from DFW)

Last edited by BThumme; Oct 27, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

interesting that you mention EGE. Don't see it as an option, likely due to the time of year. ASE, DRO, GJT, and DEN are connection city possibilities in CO. Do I want to do that in Jan/Feb though? (weather???)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:02 pm

AA5745>AA2940>AA3079 would be a little interesting, CLT>DFW>ASE>PHX. All on a CRJ though.

You're probably right that the 787-9 leg DFW>LAX would be the most interesting, although there are some other routings to take you to smaller TX airports, but you're on CRJs a lot.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:05 pm

On the return, AA361>AA2283>AA3670 might be of interest as well, PHX>SAN>DFW>CHA, on 738, then 757, then E75, so at least decent planes besides that 738.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.