Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No flight until next morning using AA miles from DFW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No flight until next morning using AA miles from DFW

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Question No flight until next morning using AA miles from DFW

Seniors,

My relative will be returning from DEL on business class ticket purchased with AA award miles. Flight will reach DFW around 3:30pm on Nov 24 and next flight is only available next morning which could be purchased with miles.

What would be a good option?
  • Sleep in hotel overnight (Any hotel to include pickup/dropoff from Airport?)
  • Buy ticket for some flight using credit card and having to pay for 2 checked bags ?
  • Any better options ?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There are 2 Hyatt's on the DFW property. Maybe a little more $$$, but certainly easier than off-property.

Are there flights available the evening you land? Though award flights weren't available in advance, I was able to get on a direct flight the evening after I landed LIM-MIA to replace my connection the next morning. I was originally told no, but after enough "are there any other options, anyone at the airport I can ask, etc." questions, they managed to find a way to make it happen.

I had managed to find a 6p same-day cancellation hotel room, but that's becoming harder and harder. It may still be worth losing the room rate to get back earlier.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You can also keep checking on award availability for a flight on 24 Nov from DFW to the final destination between now and the trip. Just changing the date/time on that particular leg (in advance - I'm not referring to a same-day change) would be allowed without any charge if award availability at the applicable level (presumably saver). As that's the day after Thanksgiving it's hard to tell if any award seats would be released but there is no harm in checking. Of course this also assumes there are any flights scheduled that evening to the final destination - if it's a small destination with limited service there might not be many options to begin with.

Failing that, if it were me I'd either (a) rent a car and drive if it were close enough that I could get home at a decent time that evening and a one-way car rental was affordable or (b) if not, just plan to get a hotel for the night.

Personally, I'd be cautious buying a separately-ticketed flight that same day, as a very late arrival from DEL could cause the passenger to miss that flight. I might if the price was right and there was enough buffer time to risk it. Just depends on what the person would feel comfortable with, everyone has their own risk tolerance.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no risk in purchasing a separate ticket on AA as AA protects across separate tickets (unique to AA under its COC).

It would be more helpful if OP could provide the final destination and arrival date into DFW. There may be cheap tickets, even on another carrrier, but no way to measure that against the cost of a night in a hotel.

Also, need to assess the sophistication of the passengers. Being persistent at customer service is a matter of understanding the possible.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Pretty common for award inventory out of DFW to be restricted to early morning flights (a trick? or are there simply lighter loads on early morning flights?)

Set EF alerts to see if award inventory opens for same day flights (either biz or coach).

If not, once at DFW, ask airport agents about standby on the next departing flights. One problem is when the booked connecting flight is next day then agents can have a harder time overcoming "same day" rule to allow you to standby on earlier flight. Based on this lesson learned, I'm more likely to book a flight that has an unwanted connection (DFW-XXX-final destination) on the same day rather than a nonstop the next day.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
You can also keep checking on award availability for a flight on 24 Nov from DFW to the final destination between now and the trip. Just changing the date/time on that particular leg (in advance - I'm not referring to a same-day change) would be allowed without any charge if award availability at the applicable level (presumably saver). As that's the day after Thanksgiving it's hard to tell if any award seats would be released but there is no harm in checking. Of course this also assumes there are any flights scheduled that evening to the final destination - if it's a small destination with limited service there might not be many options to begin with.

Failing that, if it were me I'd either (a) rent a car and drive if it were close enough that I could get home at a decent time that evening and a one-way car rental was affordable or (b) if not, just plan to get a hotel for the night.

Personally, I'd be cautious buying a separately-ticketed flight that same day, as a very late arrival from DEL could cause the passenger to miss that flight. I might if the price was right and there was enough buffer time to risk it. Just depends on what the person would feel comfortable with, everyone has their own risk tolerance.
I wouldn't suggest driving a rental car after arrival from DEL. Exhaustion and jet lag makes doing so very dangerous. In addition, OP's relative might be a relatively inexperienced traveler with limited time spent driving on USA roads.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by jamesbondc
Seniors,

What would be a good option?
  • Sleep in hotel overnight (Any hotel to include pickup/dropoff from Airport?)
  • Buy ticket for some flight using credit card and having to pay for 2 checked bags ?
  • Any better options ?
I have the answer to your question but unfortunately I'm not a senior
Traveller likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If they do overnight, my preferred hotel is the Grand Hyatt in Terminal D. Yes it can be pricey, but the ease of walking out of customs and basically straight to the elevator for the hotel and then again in the morning, not having to take a shuttle or a long walk to get back to the terminal in the morning is totally worth it. Just check in at the desks at Term D, go through security, and then SkyLink to the terminal for your gate.
NZZO likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Same for award connections from the US West Coast to Mexico, the Caribbean.

There are a large number of lower priced, decent chain hotels and motels with free airport shuttles.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:12 am

GH DFW pricing makes P+C very attractive.
GH DFW is sneaky and often does not show P+C avail on one night stays.
But, 2 night stays often show P+C avail, so book 2 night stay and call to reduce to 1.

also, you can request AA to release a short segment award seat inventory to you if needed to finalize a broader long-haul booking. just ask and see.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 24, 2017 at 12:38 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: CK or bust
If it's just a single passenger, even without status it might be worth a look at asking for a QMAX request to shop for a seat however from what I've understood, these now only apply for tickets in non-premium cabins. There is a thread with a Wiki in this forum (/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1570445-requests-milesaaver-inventory-rm-qmax-limitations-5.html) but keep in mind that that while the system is indeed still alive and kicking at the moment, the changes of getting the seat are pretty low and in some cases, some agents disclaim its existence or will incorrectly inform you of its demise (see JDiver's notes in the Wiki).

This probably isn't relevant given your travel dates.

Last edited by enpremiere; Oct 24, 2017 at 10:05 am Reason: Overlooked OP's travel dates
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanksgiving week- the busiest domestic travel week of the year. I would have zero expectations of award inventory opening up and would be taking the tickets you can get now and the Hyatt option.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Nov 24 is not a busy travel day. Neither is Nov 23. Renders statement meaningless that that the whole week is busy.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’d spend the night at the Hyatt.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Spending the night at the Hyatt is the easiest (but not necessarily cheapest) option.

LOTS of the better hotels in Dallas have free shuttle service to and from DFW.

I did an overnight stay at the MCM Elegante on Northwest Highway a few years ago, when it took an overnight to get an award ticket to book. They were OK, typical business traveler hotel room in HotelSpace (that weird pocket of N-dimensional space-time where all business travel hotel rooms actually exist).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.